Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

But what even constitutes "best"? So subjective. 44's release and reception doesn't seem too different from Megatron's, with plenty of fans on either of the far ends of the spectrum and everywhere between, including plenty of reports of QC issues. Megatron immediately shot to my top spot and stayed there for 2 1/2 years until this week when 44 finally landed. I can't imagine he's going to ever fall out of that spot. Feels like I have a living, breathing G1 Sunbow produced Toei animated Peter Cullen voiced Optimus Prime on my desk (and shelf - two copies here). It's the ultimate rendition of my favorite iteration of my favorite TF character. I can't imagine I'll ever not be enthralled with it. I've been dying for this figure since 1984, his poseability is only limited by my imagination, and all of his gimmicks and accessories will keep the figure fresh. My copies are as good as can be expected with the only issue that the flight stands don't lock to support his weight. If been posing the shit out of my desk copy all week and the knees still work as they should. If they should ever blow out, @BrutiKing 's fix looks quick and painless. If I was going to "honestly admit" anything, it's that it's disgusting how nuts I am over this figure. I can't stop staring at him, posing him, trying out all his stuff, and when I have to leave my office I'll take him to whatever room I'm in. When we leave home I'm thinking about him. I'm honestly admitting that my love for this figure borders on insanity. Peak geek here.

Good thing for you you still dig your MP-10, right?

• Like Like x 28
  2. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Funny you should say ....I actually had no knowledge of this TE figure, and I'm on these boards a lot.

Anyway, I just went and checked that figure out earlier. HOLY JUMPING JESUS. THAT'S the figure people are debating is better than 44????

Yikes.

It looks like it's made out of kids Duplo Blocks.

Man, enough already with these 3rd party wannabes. Please.

If you want to paint your car red and call it a Ferrari, that's fine with me. But don't bring that noise into an conversation about an official product.
    (Not speaking to you Brutking, I just quoted you because it was ontopic)

• Like Like x 12
  3. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Anyone get a copy from TCP ? Was wonder how there version is . Getting mine Tuesday. Debating if I should start saving for the 2nd run as I cancelled my 2nd first run due to a cruise that me and the wife booked .

4. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    For these tiny touchups I'm just using a tiny brush by hand. But that's because I just had some tiny bits of rub on corners and edges.

• Like Like x 4
  5. fsfeedback

fsfeedback Well-Known Member

I see what you mean. There are some very very subtle things to do to get a pose just right with this guy. He has such range, and that makes it difficult to get a pose so standard, but it makes it really fun in the end because of all the little tricks you learn along the way.

I can see why Dean says that the poses are only limited by ones imagination.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hail Galvatron

Hail Galvatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love this guy so much... perfect rendition of the Sunbow Optimus Prime. And while I have loved my FansToys Sovereign for almost three years, MP-44 now, more than ever, wants me to see what TT can do with Galvatron. Come on, Takara? Please? Bring it on! I've been waiting!

• Like Like x 6
  7. Shunwei

Shunwei Well-Known Member

he's not a fan, but a fanboy. probably quite a bit disheartened at TT for pumping out a problematic product.

8. Dcoleman44

Dcoleman44 Well-Known Member

Don't know where I went wrong can't peg torso. 20190908_095443.jpg 20190908_095432.jpg

9. Jhund

Jhund Screws>Pins

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Seeing that the chest is open , check the tab behind the matrix chamber. If not you might need to redo the transformation . But most likely it’s that tab

• Like Like x 1
  10. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

Onnsake is the biggest TT fanboy on this forum.
    He has a very condescending attitude towards CHUG and 3p.

If HE"S saying the figure is bad, you know TT lost its way.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rogerimus

Rogerimus Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  12. RichP

RichP Slick Doohickey

Instagram:
    Hey, Jarrod

Do Mr. Hobby paints have that metallic flake like in mp36's color? I'm looking for a match for mp36, but everything looks like flat color.

DO you have the color numbers for Mr. Hobby? There are three light grays (C324 & C97 &C338)

• Like Like x 2
  13. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Just got my replacement in from Amazon Japan and am happy to report no broken knee joint straight out of the box this time around!
    Tolerances overall are good and the paint is near flawless. Changed one arm with my first figure, because it has better ratchets.
    Might change one or two more parts, depending on how easy they are to disassemble.

Second figure did come with 2 battle damaged heads and no season 1 head though, so not quite QC issue free.
    Luckily I have the season 1 head from my first figure, so I'll just keep that and send the extra battle damage head back with my return.

• Like Like x 7
  14. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Heh heh. Heh heh heh. Heh heh heh heh heh. You said TOOL. Heh heh heh heh.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  15. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Huh? Can't tell if you're trying to be presumptuous about him or if what you wrote came out wrong? He's busy with real life stuff and just wants to enjoy his 44 where he can without having to wade through the all misery on these boards.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 18
  16. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    An your not a fan , who don’t own the figure , so what’s your point ?

See what happens when you make assumptions about other people ?

• Like Like x 3
  17. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Because I'm a bitter, grumpy, crusty old curmudgeon and I want everyone in the world to be angry and unhappy just like me.

Nah, not really.

I do wonder about it though. As I get older, I find that my periods of pure, ecstatic childlike joy are becoming more and more rare. Yes, I DO still have those moments, but they mostly come from an amazing new toy, or a great piece of art by an artist I like, or seeing one of my favorite bands live. I've noticed that movies and television and music and comic books, which used to just dazzle me, all kind of....suck now.

So is it just me? Is this just what happens when you get old? Or do things really actually just suck more now? I'm specifically talking mostly about movies and TV and music....I find everything so dumbed down and derivative and lifeless, I can't help but feel that surely the people involved with making them KNOW how bad they are. Yet....audiences still seem to enjoy it.

Yesterday I saw a special 20th anniversary screening of The Matrix. It's been 20 years, and it's still SO good. No, it's not a "perfect" movie, but my god, I still got chills at all the iconic scenes. I honestly don't think they make 'em like they used to.

Now I'm just ranting and completely off topic. I don't think toys fall into this category. The opposite really; I honestly think we're getting the best toys ever made RIGHT NOW. And when they take a beloved property from the 80s and re-do them with all these new bells and whistles, it really is the best of both worlds.

Like I said before, MP 44 isn't for me, just cause I still prefer that blend of G1 toy/real world/animation model look. But I know thousands of TF fans around the world are loving the hell out of it, and I'm happy for you guys.

I only made the comparison to TOOL cause those fans have been fanatically building this fantasy in their minds for 13 years that the new album is going to shatter people's minds, and when it came out, they simply couldn't allow themselves to even consider otherwise. But seriously guys....it's not that good. But go read the comments on youtube and these people think this album is literally the second coming of Jesus Christ. I just wonder if deep down, any of them feel it's mediocre but just can't admit it to themselves.

All right....end of my old man rambling tangent.....enjoy MP 44, enjoy "Fear Inoculum," enjoy "Jumanji Part 6" or whatever.....I'll be in my basement listening to my radiola thinking of the good old days.

• Like Like x 7
  18. RetroElectro

RetroElectro Well-Known Member

Biggest TT or Hasui fanboy? Hasui got shuffled off to where his skillset was a better fit. Lots of the fandom are stuck and still haven't got over that. I think the new Tool album sucks too. Haven't actually heard it for myself, but they left me behind and he tell me.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Moderator

News Credits:
    Disregard the fanboy talk and please shift back to MP-44. Thank you in advance.

• Like Like x 12
  20. Dcoleman44

Dcoleman44 Well-Known Member

Thank! Knees looks good and feels good. And also thanks to TMAN978 I used his youtube 20190908_100732.jpg instructions to guide me.

• Like Like x 17
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.