Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. opoptimus

opoptimus SUN WUKONG, not Son Goku.

News Credits:
    I love the battle damaged look so much!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 17
  2. shiin

shiin Well-Known Member

Not in the knee, but one half of the outward ratchet in the hip is missing.

3. Appothos

Appothos Well-Known Member

Finally picked up my copy yesterday. It was truly an event for me, my childhood friend getting his from the same shop too. We used to hang out daily in school, nowadays much less, due to "Life". It was great to geek out over lunch while waiting for the precious cargo to arrive.

My copy’s paint was as good as I could’ve hoped for. Grey and yellow close to flawless. The only issue, both knees lack any sort of ratcheting in the lower joint out of the box. Both legs, the blue tab cant lock in to the hole. Too big. Relying on friction for the lower joint, but seems to hold any pose I want so far.

Unboxed as soon as I got home and spent hours with him. I am truly happy and he is now my favourite Transformer and favourite toy maybe. He is Prime.

Masterpiece moment? For me would be how the panels all fit together nicely to form a solid and beautifully shaped posable lower leg. The rest of the transformation, like how an artist speed paints something seemingly at random, and only realizing what it is at the last moment. Boom! It certainly was a difficult transformation though. Couldn’t have done it without the videos. I think I will leave him in bot mode. I almost broke a small panel in the foot because I missed the previous step in the manual, to push the feet down 90 degrees first. Stress marks now. Also scuffed the far right and far left orange paint on the truck roof lights during transformation.

Pleasant surprise - the very high level of playability the trailer, cannon and Roller now offer. There’s so many different configs it’s amazing! I never thought of MP as pure toys like, say CHUG, but this trailer and components certainly comes close. This is such a HUGE improvement over previous iterations. The OCD in me also appreciates Roller docking in securely, the storage shelf and being able to store Prime’s rifle in a number of places.

All in all, I am stoked and glad to have purchased this. He is certainly lighting some dark hours of mine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 25
  4. PrimalPrime007

PrimalPrime007 Well-Known Member

Um wow... So some copies even come WITHOUT legs/knees ratchet out of the box?? I hope you guys will send them back ASAP and get compensated. The community needs to send a strong message to TT.

5. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

My thoughts on it here:

MP-44 Optimus Prime Discussion/Appreciation Thread

I had to wipe the sweat off my brow while I was messing around with it hoping nothing broke. I guess I can feel fortunate that the only issues mine had were one tiny little paint chip on the grey part (ribs), and the antennaes with a slight curve inward. Other than that, I'll say it again...I love this thing :D 

• Like Like x 20
  6. Primus1998

Primus1998 Professional lunatic

"scan to warehouse"

• Like Like x 1
  7. Higgs79

Higgs79 Well-Known Member

As some of you guys may know TT provide pdf versions of the instructions for MP’s on their website. Their website is slooooow so I’ve uploaded the pdf for MP44 elsewhere in case anyone wants to grab it. This link is valid for 30 days.

I find the pdf version of the instructions so much more useful than the printed version. They are high quality with a great level of detail when you zoom. I hope someone finds this useful.

Uploadfiles.io - item_tf_mp-44_manual.pdf

• Like Like x 18
  8. God Orion

God Orion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I want to try applying grey covering film to the ribs instead of the paint. I just have to test if that sticks to the plastic first.

• Like Like x 2
  9. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's taken me an hour and a half, I've got bleeding cuts on my fingers from various sharp edges, my nerves are frayed and there are flakes of red and blue all around me... Yes that's right folks I've been transforming MP-44 for the first time! :lol 

The positive stuff first: He looks great in each mode, he's very expressive and has a decent amount of accessories. I seem to have been fairly lucky with QC, everything is as I imagine it should be. Visually this is way better than MP-10 (which I never much cared for).

The negatives, at least for me, aren't really about the build or the sculpt or even the decision to make a third MP Prime. It's as I feared; the transformation is just ridiculous. I mean obviously we've known since the first pics that he has cheating windows and faux gas tanks etc, but having avoided any videos or discussion of the transformation I really wasn't prepared for the extent of hoop-jumping this figure goes through for little visible benefit. MP-36 was complicated, and considering the extremes of his two modes I fully understand that, but Prime shouldn't need to be more complex than Megatron surely? Tiny folding pieces everywhere, exploding panels, things that don't fit if they aren't lined up a certain specific way. I guess I've just become used to Takara's transformations being fluid; smooth and deceptively simple, the 'Masterpiece moments', the elegance of guys like Grapple and Ironhide. Prime is like X-Transbots meets Badcube in comparison, no pleasure at all to transform. There had to be an easier way. I wouldn't mind but after all that effort the back end of the cab doesn't even look finished! Maybe I'm being overly harsh but a neat, clever transformation has always been part of the fun in this game, and I'm afraid MP engineering just jumped the shark for me.

But grumbles about the execution aside, I'll enjoy having MP-44 posed on the shelf and seeing what I can do with him. I'm just not looking forward to transforming him again that's all! (not good for someone who makes stop-motion transformations lol).

One issue I had going back to alt mode is the little blue flap between the front wheel and the gas tank. The instructions and photos seem to imply the flap should slot into the red folded parts under the vehicle, but when I do it like that the sides of the cab don't want to lay flat and the gas tanks are misaligned:

44b.jpg

And yet if I mistransform it so the blue flap stays flat against the red ladder piece everything lines up great. Anyone else find this?

44a.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  10. IwatchTV

IwatchTV Well-Known Member

Mines exactly the same. Try as I might, I just cant get the fuel tanks to line up

• Like Like x 1
  11. tturbozx66

tturbozx66 Well-Known Member

Pickup game anyone?

85B69AC7-A9CF-470D-A040-1BAF08DBC557.jpeg E8AAE882-5E5C-4623-86BA-4860ED89DC85.jpeg 06E5F3A5-D4EE-44AD-8813-7C4DD4A71E28.jpeg 94F9999F-76DF-40CF-BB67-8C127E0935FE.jpeg 0E9EC693-7213-4AF2-9A08-7DCFFEC2069F.jpeg 79A10756-EED6-466A-A027-D833249C346C.jpeg 70A1BF87-6139-49A1-92A8-50EB56448DC0.jpeg

• Like Like x 33
  12. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Yep! What a coincidence! Gald to neet a fellow Malaysian TFW2005 board member! :lol 
    I havent had the time to mess around with my MP44 yet. How bout your copy..any issue so far?
    Cheers bro.
    Edit; just read about the knee ratchets having issues... aww man.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Temp1

Temp1 Well-Known Member

Great thanks. How do you apply it? With a brush? Rub it in with a cloth?

14. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

News Credits:
    A nice write-up - I’m also not a huuuuge fan of the transformation, seeing it more as a means to an end, rather than an ‘experience’ on its own. I’m looking forward to the day when I can get my second, as I think it’ll allow me to enjoy it a bit more for some reason? Ultimately, I’m just happy with the results.

Can’t say I noticed misalignment with my copy, so I’m not sure what’s going on there? Mind you, I haven’t transformed him back to vehicle mode yet...

• Like Like x 3
  15. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

News Credits:
    Fixed the knees on mine. I feel so much better now.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rockdown

Rockdown Dream Commander

Ebay:
    • Like Like x 3
  17. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks like Starscream-in-disguise hasn't noticed the little yellow spy looking down on proceedings. :) 

I do love this figure - the robot mode is beautiful - but I totally agree with this. The transformation wasn't as bad the second run-through, but as someone for whom the transformation is a huge part of the pleasure, I can't see myself transforming MP-44 very often. With most MPs, I can come back to them a year or two later and transform them without referring to the instructions, because the process is fluid and intuitive once you've been through it a couple of times. It's too soon to say whether that will happen with MP-44, but I somehow doubt it. Also, while some fake parts have always been a necessary evil, I do think it takes things too far when nearly *everything* is fake, so that you even have duplicate fuel tanks.

But I still get a big grin whenever I look at this guy on my shelf. :) 

The trick seems to be to get the blue clips next to the fuel tanks into place:

IMG_2632.jpg

They seem to ensure the fuel tank sits straight, but getting them into place on both sides of the truck is hell, because unless everything is lined up just right, they both sit out farther than the part they need to clip to - and it's not a particularly strong clip.

• Like Like x 10
  18. D1N0NLY

D1N0NLY Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have a loose shoulder ratchet joint? Or has any idea how to tighten it? It's a pricey figure so I'm pretty nervous myself to pull it apart...

19. comboi

comboi Active Member

Great review. I watched it multiple times to enjoy the impressive camerawork.

• Like Like x 1
  20. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think I must have something internally not quite 100% in the cab (though it all looks fine) because I can get the blue clips on when that aforementioned flap is mistransformed, but not when it's where it should be. But this is only my first attempt into truck mode so we'll see how it goes next time. I'm definitely going to need the instructions handy with this fella...

• Like Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.