Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The design intention is that it doesn't matter how you move the knee - the joint is supposed to sort itself out and ensure only the upper joint moves in the normal bend region while the lower joint is locked out, then for deeper bend only the lower joint moves while the upper joint is locked out. It's actually very clever, and when they are working properly as mine are i can just bend the knee holding a thigh and calf and the joint does its magic. The problem is that the internals of the lower joint just can't reliably take the torque they are subject to when the lower joint is locked out and the result is the mashed internals we are seeing.

I personally wouldn't recommend just clipping the whole tab off. By doing that you are defeating the clever mechanism they have engineered and just giving yourself two independent joints. You could say well that's good enough for any other figure with normal double joints, but I think it's a shame to clip 44 when @Jarrod and @BrutiKing's equally simple fixes will get the joint working properly.

Also if your joint is already damaged inside, clipping off the tab might not help. You may be in a situation where the internals are so mashed that the lower joint is gonna prefer to spin instead of ratchet properly no matter what the tab is doing. If you're in that situation only BrutiKing's glueing fix will help you. That's probably the most robust long term fix anyway until someone figures out there really was a good reason those two internal parts are separate, but so far I can't and even though my joints are fine I'm inclined to fuse those parts for long term reliability.

• Like Like x 7
  2. BenLeong

BenLeong Well-Known Member

@tonewheelz, I agree. If it weren't for the defective knees, I'd have been 100% happy with mine. That backpack in hand looks way better/smaller and more proportionate, and all of my paint was flawless.

But because such a major part of the figure's functionality was totally defective, I sent mine back, and a replacement is coming Monday.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jcb213

jcb213 Well-Known Member

Finally got a chance to open mine up last night after getting him on Wednesday. Wow! MP-44 exceeds my expectations in almost every area. The backpack doesn't look nearly as bad in hand as it does in pictures. The slightly curved antenna don't look as bad to me in person either, although I would prefer them to be straight. The paint is gorgeous. The articulation is outstanding. My knees are good for now. The transformation was annoying but manageable (I did watch a video to make sure I didn't screw up any of the panels though). I don't plan to transform him back anytime soon though because I don't love the back of the vehicle mode and I don't want to risk scratching paint. Plus I generally keep my transformers in bot mode the majority of the time anyway. I'm also surprised how much I enjoy the accessories; accessories normally just sit in the box for me but I'll get a decent bit of use out of most of the stuff that came with Prime.

My only QC issue is that his left foot won't quite sit flat. It looks like one of the pieces where it fold out is slightly too long on one side and is preventing it from unfolding completely. Hopefully I can fix this easily with some careful trimming or sanding this weekend.

Does anyone else think the Season 1 head is a tad too small? I was originally planning on displaying him with the season 1 head but it just seems a tiny bit off on him to me while the movie head looks outstanding.

A few pics:
    IMG_0545.jpg IMG_0546.JPG IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0549.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 19
  4. BrutiKing

BrutiKing Apparently Ratchet Now.

News Credits:
    I will make a disassembly tutorial for people exchanging, so they can Frankenstein their best prime. Should pop up in a few hours.

• Like Like x 10
  5. franpincho

franpincho Well-Known Member

I haven't personally, no. The 2 instances I had trouble they automatically offered to replace the item no q's asked, and in one instance they even told me to keep the defective one. Granted, it was not $320 but for them to simply offer that tells me that they simply don't do partial refunds.

But hey, YMMV. Let us know what they say. I'm sure many would take that route, IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BronxUST

BronxUST Well-Known Member

I have never returned anything to Amazon Japan, if my copy needs to be returned for a refund I will have to pay shipping?

7. tonewheelz

tonewheelz Well-Known Member

Got a video or know of a video showing this??

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 When the Curtain Falls

Thanks for the extra details. I don't really have any major issues with mine other than one of Sparkplug's hip ball joints shearing off with only minor provocation (20% my fault and 80% poor design, IMO), and a few minor paint blemishes (one of which is on the Autobot symbol, but not as egregious as some I've seen posted here). I'll be able to spend some more time looking over it this evening, and If I discover anything else or start to become more bent out of shape because of things I already know about, I'll try to get in touch with them.

9. Matt Random

Matt Random Well-Known Member

Finally got time to transform mine after admiring the truck mode for a couple of days. I'm not sure if I'd call the transformation enjoyable, but it certainly wasn't the most frustrating I've experienced. I am somewhat looking forward to future transformations. I think I'll put tape over the yellow bits next time I transform it since it seems like scratching there will be hard to avoid. I kept the plastic in place but I had to constantly hold it.

I can't get the backpack to stay clipped behind the neck. It isn't due to the blue hook since I couldn't get it stay clipped even before I put the matrix change in place. I may just not have everything aligned exactly correct.

Knees seem fine on mine and no obvious paint issues. The sound of one hip ratchet is much more muted than the other, but both function. One issue I do have is that the chrome on the stomach is not even. It almost looks like not enough was applied.

IMG_3040.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. DashCourageous

DashCourageous Greetings Programs!

Instagram:
    YouTube:

Wotafa slowly transforming him.

• Like Like x 6
  11. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

That's exactly what it is.
    I had the same issue.

The angle that you turned the assembly with the head and the roof isn't exactly right. Also, the Matrix chamber might have the blue clip pointing inwards too much, and it's taking up too much room in the chest cavity. Point that downwards as you push the chamber in. The combo of those two things should allow for the backpack to clip fine.

12. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35 Well-Known Member

Ok I did it. Transformed and he has no issues with paint or knees!!! My one issue is i can't figure out how to tab the waist in front...i don't want to press to hard. Tips?

13. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is there a way to fully lock the stand's joint? This seems to be as far as it will go and it doesn't support Prime's weight...

20190907_020726.jpg

14. BrutiKing

BrutiKing Apparently Ratchet Now.

News Credits:
    I believe it requires modding.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

News Credits:
    You have to press really hard lol

The back locks first and then the front. The first few times require a lot of force

Then you can unlock the back again and pull out his abdomen joint from inside his pelvis

16. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TRANSFORM AND ROLL OUT!!!

20190906_233143.jpg
    TRANSFORM AND RISE UP!!!

20190907_013613.jpg

• Like Like x 29
  17. Peacefrog35

Do you recommend a certain spot to grab him while you press?
    If I get this far only to break him, I will cry. Lol

18. Peacefrog35

Ok I got him locked in now. That wasn't too bad at all. After watching vids on transformation, it went easier than I thought. Now I am happy...what a great looking bot!!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Not on mine. It was quite easy to click in the stomach once the back half is clicked in, even on the first transform.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Peacefrog35

The key was definitely clicking the back first then the front.
    He looks so good!!!

• Like Like x 2