Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    I heard Ironhide reissue chrome was better. Most recent case, Dinobots shoulder ratchet was improved.

• Like Like x 3
  2. KayODave

KayODave Still a grey prototype

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I thought the Dinobot reissue did fix the shoulder?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 When the Curtain Falls

Has anyone successfully negotiated a partial refund from Amazon JP because of out-of-the-box defects, or is their only recourse return and exchange? A $10-20 gift card would be a good olive branch to those with minimal issues who ask, rather than having international folks spend over $100 to ship this guy back (and in some cases, far more then that!). Especially since some of these issues seems to be widespread. I would think it would ultimately be cheaper for them as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. franpincho

franpincho Well-Known Member

They are too big to care and wont budge.

5. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

The MP-22 Ultra Magnus reissue cut out his hip skirts a little more to give the cab clearance to rotate from side to side in alt mode without the wheels catching. MP-09 reissue changed a thing or two, I can't remember exactly (better tabbing for the backpack?). Ironhide's reissue fixed his misassembled shoulders from the first run.

I don't collect BW MPs, but didn't they retool Dinobot's shoulders? Something on Cheetor? Something about Primal's shoulder pads? idk

• Like Like x 4
  6. BenLeong

BenLeong Well-Known Member

Didn't Takara also (try to) improve some of the stuff for Rodimus Prime?

7. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    in a matter of fact , and im not trying to cause a debate or war here , but ...
    worker are simply working to get paid. They don't really care if a product is perfect or not. They care more about their own. QC check is the same.
    That's why you see such wide array of QC manufacture problem.
    It's not High tech industry where everything has to undergo strick QC check. These while charged high price are still toys , collectibles.
    And no i'm not defending anyone. If you can see the situation at other collecting spectrum , for example , figma line from Good Smile Company. Price skyrocketed and quality drop like Niagara Falls.
    While I love my copy , I just spent some good time with it and then starts to notice some more imperfect on it. Chipped orange headlight paint , scratched robot mode red window , hair dust on season 1 mouthplate , chipped back of neck.
    I just feel a bit sad because it's one good amount of money I paid for a long await figure

• Like Like x 16
  8. Balzari

Balzari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Re Ironhide, I got the re-issue with improved chrome and yes the chrome was better but I still got the misassembled shoulders.

9. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I guess in my naïvety I had hoped that with such high price, Takara might have used some of the money to pay the factory workers more to raise QC standards. Ah well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BenLeong

Yes, but in the case of the knee problems of MP44, it's not really a QC problem caused by assembly line workers. It's more an engineering QC problem, in that it was an unnecessary mistake to have made those ratchets as separate pieces.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Which reissue is that? The most recent one from early this year or the one from late '16 that came with the die cast drill? Mine's the one that had the die cast drill.

12. Balzari

News Credits:
    Yes the chrome was thicker but the shoulders still the wrong way round.

13. Rogerimus

Rogerimus Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I think the confusion came from the fact you mention transformation from cab to bot mode ;) . No big deal as I watched it nevertheless

14. Balzari

News Credits:
    Oh mine was the latest reissue with no metal gun.

• Like Like x 1
  15. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Takara or Amazon? :D 

16. BenLeong

Has Takara ever made any official statements that acknowledge widespread problems? I'd actually really respect them if they said something about MP44's knee joint defects. No one's perfect--own up to it, and offer to try and fix it. It'll go a long way with customers, especially when customers entrusted to Takara huge amounts of money for this figure.

17. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Price is in the BST thread and it's price + actual shipping cost. Prefer to keep it to CONUS for simplicity.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    actually I think it's both. Mine have the L piece slide in very good and I operate the knee quite freely now. Still move slow and careful because you never know. But for some the L don't even go inside the slot. So it's both overengineer and QC.

• Like Like x 5
  19. tonewheelz

tonewheelz Well-Known Member

Mine has one paint issue that I noticed out of box:

2DB1FBCB-5B4E-4BEC-94FD-22520BD17E7D.jpeg

I consider this a bit of a cosmetic defect. I can live with it. I never even mentioned it until now.

What really grinds my gears (no pun intended) is the ratchet issue. It’s an integral part of functionality.

What I find even more irritating (not directed at you), is when people suggest that it’s user error, or that something is being done incorrectly. This is a Takara issue, plain and simple.

If it weren’t for that ratchet issue, I would be 100% satisfied without a doubt. And some of you know how I couldn’t stop harping on the messy bed in truck mode or the backpack. None of those are an issue to me whatsoever in person.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

News Credits:
    Optimus' abdomen joint

I know many of you have figured this out, and even discussed here, but the thread is moving fast. I wanted to put this out there again for those like me that did not realize how Optimus' abdomen joint actually works.

You do not need to unplug the stomach. There are two joints in his waist that can both be used for articulation but they are actually just for transformation. His true ab crunch is below, inside his pelvis. On my copy this joint was completely stuck and I had no idea it is there. You have to pop it out, which also unlocks a side-to-side bend that is very tight and must be worked loose as well.

• Like Like x 6
  21. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 When the Curtain Falls

Are you speaking from experience, as in, you asked but they told you to pound sand? Perhaps the exchange plus the shipping they cover are some sort of 'write-off' for them, so there's no real cost to them for going this route (then they probably resell a lot of returned stuff as 'scratch and dent,' 'open box,' or 'refurbished' so they get to make money again). I can see the gift card compensation being a real cost. If so, what you say makes sense. However, if the Amazon JP reviews tank the figure in the next few weeks, they may be more willing to do something.

Anyway, I've wasted more effort typing these posts than I would have on Amazon's chat, so I guess I could give it a shot and find out.