Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

News Credits:
    Funnily enough I had a similar experience while poking around inside MP-43 earlier this year - you’d think I’d learnt my lesson, but no...

Re: other concerns about the sound box, it’s a shame that it’s not playing nicely for a few of us. I honestly can’t give a toss about sound boxes - I wish they were never included.

2. Flapjacks

Flapjacks Well-well-well Member

Heh... mine is 3 on the upper and 4 on the lower. Oh noooooeeeeees, I have less ratchet points.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tonewheelz

tonewheelz Well-Known Member

great video showing proper function. If the issue exists where the tab won’t slide into the channel, then it doesn’t matter how careful you are, it simply won’t slide in and the lower knee ratchet will grind the plastic ratchet, causing it to give out.

It is SUPPOSED to be designed where no great care needs to be taken to ensure the upper knee ratchets first. Unfortunately due to QC issues, it doesn’t always function this way.

• Like Like x 1
  4. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

Over $400 and slf destructing knees. Good job Takara.

5. chockey88

chockey88 koolkollectibleskhai

They definitely should've described it clearly in the instruction manual.

• Like Like x 2
  6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whoa! That’s harsh man! Although I’m having mixed feelings on my MP-44 (poor QC and overly complicated transformation), nobody wants a figure to fail right out of the gate.

Same here! I’m actually thinking of getting the reissue...provided they fix all the issues.

Its normally man. Growing up in Asia (knowing HK, Japan, Singapore collectors), I more or less expected harsh reviews for this figure...just like Rodimus.

The main point of displeasure would be:

Questionably or poor QC (a big pet peeve of Japanese collectors...they have high standards for QC control).

Its not just the knee ratchet thing but the shoddy sprue/nub marks and paint application throughout the figure.

Sure Bandai have their share of poor QC but they aren’t as many and basic as TakaraTomy.

Let me stress that I’m satisfied with my MP-44 (just a small chip on the yellow) but I don’t think I will transform him again! :) 

I get what you mean.

True, I totally agree with the above. However, I somehow can’t help but feel that TT over designed or over engineered this figure.

• Like Like x 4
  7. tonewheelz

That’s my point though. If it happens, and the user isn’t being abusive with the figure, it shouldn’t be happening and also shouldn’t require a mention in the manual.

On my own figure, the right knee works flawlessly. I can bend it and it perfectly works the upper ratchet first, and because there’s absolutely no resistance preventing that tab from sliding into the channel, then the lower knee ratchet is able to properly engage.

The left knee on mine, however, the blue tab will not freely slide into the channel. This isn’t a user error, it is a defect in the figure, caused either by paint or the actual cut of the tab and channel, or other factors preventing it from aligning properly.

• Like Like x 3
  8. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to be negative but...
    Well there\'s goes the $300-400 toy

I guess more moving parts the prone the figure will get QC issues.
    More complex, More worrisome.

That\'s the price of \"Toon Accuracy\".

I hope the \"2nd Run\" will fix the issues. Like what they did on MP-36\'s initial issues before (paint chipping and gun barrel being broken).
    While I like MPs, Heck a I owned MP-10 and MPM-3.. The error of MPM-4 not locking properly in truck mode & MP-36\'s paint chippng/broken gun barrel at initial run, made me worried considering getting future MPs.

Good thing I\'m not the type who \"First To Own MPs\" HYPE TRAIN kind of collector.
    I can observe initial reactions or possible problem then wait for the 2nd run where chances of being fixed is possible.

9. Jtotheiso187

Jtotheiso187 Well-Known Member

I own this guy but I'm not going to lie...I'm getting a kick out of people breaking him for some reason... probably the exuberant pricetag. I like the sound of broken glass to so...

10. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My position remains that this is the most beautiful and for me desireable Optimus Prime yet made, and I really look forward to the day when I can get him. I can say that while also still acknowledging that this is an issue and holding off because of it in hopes of a second run that addresses it. And I'm absolutely loving everyone's photos so that we who are doing so may live through you lol. He is completely amazing imo!

That said... what I can't and won't agree with is any suggestion that now that we know how to handle him properly, this is in any way okay. Honestly - and I'm speaking solely for myself - even if this was noted in the instructions, I consider it a profound design flaw and ridiculous to expect consumers, even "high end collectors," to have to articulate a simple knee joint in the "proper order" to avoid potential permanent damage to a product of this price. Especially when one of the selling points is articulation.

A (what I would consider) normal level of care for a collector's piece is obviously warranted. Masterpieces aren't expected to be ruggedized or anything. But this goes far beyond that. At the very least, you should just be able to pose him freely (if gently) without worry. Having to actually worry about what order to ratchet in and inspect to ensure proper insertion of a part while doing so is just beyond the pale and a clear design flaw imo. I refuse to normalize or excuse that simply because we now know - thanks to some intrepid and heroic users - what the issues are and how to avoid them.

I find any suggestion that not being able to do so is normal or acceptable because the fix is easy, to be something I must reject out of hand completely as a consumer.

That's why I'm waiting for a second run personally, if one is forthcoming. Just needed to throw my two cents in again, as I'm seeing the tide ever so slightly shift towards something resembling, "Well, at least now we know, so we can avoid it if we're careful, so it's okay." And that is not something I can accept personally.

Beautiful figure I want to get even at its price? Absolutely. The masterpiece for me? Definitely. Acceptable that it has these issues? Absolutely not at this price.

• Like Like x 12
  11. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    I heard that Vietnam QC might be a tad shady..lol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Agreed on the last point ... Did TT think that more complicated parts / transformation equals the right to charge higher price point?! :mad: :confused: 

• Like Like x 1
  13. CowboyFromHell

CowboyFromHell Shake 'N Bake

my thoughts exactly. Over engineered. They wanted to make a figure that can pose like a pretzel but ended up making a tetris panel looking jenga handling figure.

He does look good with the gang, but I swapped with TE01 a few times and I think TE01 looks better and is just more solid. Just commenting on mp44, the massive amount of panels keep moving out of place every time I manipulate him, they make him look like an homage to tetris, he doesn't feel solid, the curved soft antennas look like shit, the ab crunch kibble looks like shit too, and the shoulder ratchets make his arms either too far or too close to the body. Very close to being a nice figure, but it's over engineered, has bad QC, and the fit and finish is something you'd expect from Super 7 or Mattel

IMG_20190905_200926.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. fsfeedback

fsfeedback Well-Known Member

My experiences with MP factories is:

Vietnam: Things under paint (hair, dust, and etc)
    Paint globs or massive over spray.
    Poor tolerances and gaps in alt modes
    Parts assembled wrong

China: I haven't had this myself yet, but ratchet joint issues.
    Stress marks (like 2 or 3 on MP-44 and a lot more on MP-43)
    New one! Electronics issues on MP-44. I wonder if MP-43 is the same way (never put batteries in it).

I would still take Chinese MP's over ones made in Vietnam anyday, but they need to fix the ratchet issues. Not sure if it is related to the factories and possible QC testing issues or design at Takara HQ. Either way 3 MP's from China now have ratchet issues, and I feel like I somehow dodged a bullet on them.

• Like Like x 1
  15. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

Well, you do have FT’s Arcee and Hot Rod. That alone tells me that functionality or playability don’t mean much to you. So MP-44 should be a fine addition to your collection.

It certainly looks better than everything else in that picture (I own some of those too).

• Like Like x 5
  16. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So if the tab won't slide into the channel, does this knee disassembly surgery lead to a fix?

I'm confused about whether people are fixing damaged knees, or preventing a break.

I know it's been mentioned, but this issue deserves its own thread at this point. I'm sure most of the good info is already here, it's just very hard to find!

17. tonewheelz

It’s difficult to say at this point. I think there are varying degrees of resistance. Even a bit of resistance can cause the ratchet to grind and give out because it’s two pieces.

Mine, on the other hand is very hard to push in, I can’t even push it in with my fingers, instead requiring the use of something like a pen, and the lower knee joint needs to be rotated a bit.

Part of this could also be that because the ratchet is warped due to being two pieces that it’s also exacerbating the issue. I’m going to perform the repair tomorrow on mine and see how it goes.

If it fixes mine, then it’ll fix anyone’s!

18. KayODave

KayODave Still a grey prototype

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    How can anything be this perfect? He’s incredible!

image.jpg

• Like Like x 18
  19. warhide

warhide Deceptcreeps Smasher

So this is it? the most expensive MP to date with a freakin knee issue? Really ?? hahahaha.
    Glad I stick with my Mp10 with zero QC issues :) 
    More money to spend on Gunplas!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. BrutiKing

BrutiKing M O I S T

News Credits:
    Slightly annoyed by this, but Gunpla's aren't a bad choice I guess.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.