Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    More frustrating than anything, Im like one of the reviewers on Amazon I really want to give it 5 stars but I can't because of the knees, In my case the fact I have to mod them just in case.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks man! Really appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. IwatchTV

IwatchTV Well-Known Member

That sucks! How dare they not think to cater for the larger gentleman! :( :lol 

4. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

News Credits:
    So, the lower legs are supposed to ratchet? Does anyone's?

Am I the only one who is not bothered by this at all? The lower knee joint is not loose at all even without the ratcheting

• Like Like x 1
  5. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

Yeah someone posted pictures of it on Friday. Sideswipe looks like he’s wearing his big brothers hand-me-downs but it does fit. It’s even the same color red as sideswipe.

6. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    No wonder the negativity is bleeding out from the woodwork, we got front-paged again :banghead: 

• Like Like x 10
  7. Thundercracker Blue

Thundercracker Blue Well-Known Member

TMan978 did an excellent review/transformation video.

In general, I highly recommend his YouTube channel.

• Like Like x 3
  8. octobotimus

octobotimus Decepticon Intelligence

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually came in here without knowing that it was front paged lol

I mean, you can call it negativity, bullying, assault, whatever, but people have the ability to post opinions on stuff here, and I personally think that something thats $450 shouldn't need mods done to it. That isn't hating on the figure, but rather hoping for improvement from the company charging premium prices.

• Like Like x 6
  9. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Fits me perfectly so I ain't complaining!

Yup. And noone here will dispute it but it is what it is for those that own it already so the smugness from some quarters is unnecessary. Its the real ugly side of the fandom.

At this point we need to help each other instead of being cocks.

• Like Like x 11
  10. Jhund

Jhund Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I think besides the few lemons here and there , this release is alright . I mean you won’t bust the knee if you engage it in a specific order . And that’s been shown and mentioned in this thread and some videos.

That been said , I think someone should mention it to Takara , given the amount of reports here and in other countries / sites and etc . The one way to bend the knees be it official or unofficially is clearly unintuitive otherwise there wouldn’t be as many reports .

• Like Like x 7
  11. comboi

comboi Active Member

On YouTuber wotafa his MP44 transforming video at 29:40 he shows how the knee is supposed to bend. The upper ratchet should be rotated until it can't rotate any further. Then, the lower ratchet can be rotated. If you straighten his leg, do the reverse. Use the lower ratchet on the bottom of the knee cap first.

• Like Like x 1
  12. merphul

merphul Well-Known Member

Gonna take time later to comb back through the thread for tips on getting both the matrix chamber and the backpack to tab in neatly (right now I'm either a little gappy up front or a little gappy in the back). I've only gone to bot mode twice at this point, so there are still things to learn no doubt.

I never want to hear people complain about again how "joyless" the transformation of an FT toy is or how many details are skipped in their instructions. The amount of exploding little parts in the legs alone would make FT Springer blush, At one point I just looked at the mess of rotated and folded truck parts and said "oh well, let's just try to close this up and hope to god it's close to right".

That being said I don't mind "complicated" transformations if they give me the look and articulation that I crave at the end of the process and MP-44 delivers on that score, but my day 1 impression is that I had more fun with all the gimmicks and bits built into the trailer (those magnet friendly strips and platforms are so satisfying), but I'll run through the transformation a few more times (and do the knee fix) and I'll probably feel less ambivalent.

13. Rockdown

Rockdown Persecutor in chief

Ebay:
    Mine is due to arrive on Monday 9 September. I really can't be bothered to even begin deal with all its issues/flaws so it will remain sealed and will be sold ASAP. Buyer beware indeed:eek: :eek: 

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Just opened and transformed my second copy. It's almost as good as the first, but has a small ding in the upper right of the insignia like others have reported and the right thigh joint is a bit wobbly, but the paint is just as nice all around.

The transformation is very time consuming, but except for those two steps TT tweeted out help for (which I reposted earlier), I enjoy it! The whole thing feels like a "masterpiece moment," though the way the sides of the cab swing out and fold up so perfectly at the beginning might be my favorite. I love all the small steps, the steps on the leg where you fold out small slivers of pieces of the leg to get it to form one smooth, curved boot with beveled edges. Sublime. Love how tightly everything tabs together! Very easy to miss a lot of the tabs, but this figure is so much more solid than MP-10. Speaking of which, if I knew nothing about MPs and someone handed me MP-10 and MP-44, asked me to run through the instructions transforming them, trying out all their gimmicks, and posing them for a few hours, then that person told me 44 cost twice as much, my response would be "Of course it fuckin does."

Here's a shot of my second copy, my designated deskbot play copy. Like I said, feels like I won the lottery! I don't even feel like doing a bunch of wild poses yet, putting him on the flight stand, battle damage, Starscream mode, etc. I just want to stare at him for a while in disbelief as I try to get work done. I can't believe we have what looks and functions like a living, breathing G1 Sunbow produced Toei animated Peter Cullen voiced Optimus Prime. It's the only Optimus I've ever wanted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Btw, anyone mention yet about how his wheels are not the rubber that was used on MP-10 or 22? I'm no expert, can't tell what they are... soft plastic? I love it, though, seems like they're resistant to degradation.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 30
  15. OmegaTaco Supreme

OmegaTaco Supreme Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah if it was designed to break if it is not moved a certain way, but you think that would be a warning in the instruction, so I think it is a design error. The ones that are busted right out of the box must have been broken during QC whle getting put through its paces.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine arrived yesterday.

Pros:

The transformation isn't as bad as I thought after looking at a review. Yes, there are a lot of steps but they're actually somewhat intuitive for most parts.

No broken knees on mine and, to be honest, I don't even understand how it would be possible to break them if the figure is transformed correctly. Yet, just in case I'm missing something, I did glue the ratchet gears to the articulated arms connecting them to the lower legs yesterday before going to sleep and reassembled everything today after work. They work, hold and click perfectly.

The backpack isn't as bad in person. Don't get me wrong, if a third party ever offers an elegant fix to this, I'll buy it without hesitation, but it simply doesn't stick out as much as it did on promo and display pics in my eyes. Maybe that's weird but the same thing happened to me with Ironhide and Ratchet. When I saw the promo pics, I was completely disappointed by the waist kibble and even hesitated to buy them but once I got them in hand, while I still thought it was a small design flaw, I could totally have lived without any fix (spoiler: I still bought the fixes since they were available).

Best looking rendition ever of the character. I can't stop posing and looking at it.

Pretty crazy poseability.

Cons:

My copy had two small paint defects: a super small chip on the upper back piece of the left thigh which I don't really care about since it's so small and in a not very noticeable area, maybe I'll fix it someday but I'm not really bothered. The second one was way more problematic since it was a drop of silver paint on the blue part of the toe (I used a Gundam Marker eraser on it and wiped it out with a paper towel and now it looks like it was never there).

I wouldn't mind stronger ratchets in the hips, they feel a little too loose to me, maybe I'll try to open it and see if something can be done later.

I don't have any (post transformation) paintchip or scuffmark but the figure "feels like it would be easy to get some". Maybe I'm simply too paranoid since MP-36 (which is, paintchipping aside, the best MP ever IMO) but I won't lie: I was way more confident transforming MP-10.

The screws on the gun are WAY too visible.

In conclusion, it's not perfect but I like it. A lot. The robot mode is almost perfect and while I completely agree with those saying we shouldn't have to fix a figure out of the box (especially for that price), I can't help but be happy with what I think is an great addition to my collection.
    I can't wait to see the inevitable Black Convoy version (or a digibash) but I sure hope it'll be a cheaper, barebone, release.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Robotmonkeys

Robotmonkeys Sons of Cybertron

Ebay:
    Awesome assessment DeanML. I’m in the same boat as you!

• Like Like x 2
  18. avengerboy123

avengerboy123 Well-Known Member

I knew someone was going to reply with a snarky comment like this because I rounded up. So let me reiterate because you find it necessary to muddle around with semantics that hardly effect the point I made: a $449.99 officially licensed figure shouldn't need modifications for basic function.

Same point.

• Like Like x 5
  19. franpincho

franpincho Well-Known Member

I haven't had time with mine yet.

Having that said, I'm considering sending it back. There's no way a second run would not address these issues.

It is worth mentioning that some members have been outstanding with their fixes and videos, but the only way I see myself opening and doing all that is simply never. No offense meant for those that are happy with it.

I'll decide this weekend.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Amen, brother! I just feel grateful. I've wanted this guy since 1984! How'd I get so lucky?

• Like Like x 7