Takara Tomy Legends LG-31 Fortress Maximus

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by chrisr291, Sep 28, 2016.

1. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to admit, owning Metroplex, I wasn't in a rush to purchase Fortress Maximus. As awesome as Metroplex was, it has a number of limitations (Hips, posing, etc) that are hard to overlook. Plus, as a Masterpiece collector, I'm sure some are holding out for some type of MP scaled city combiner that frankly would be too big for my house! Therefore, I settle for these offerings because it does fill the gap in my collection.

Thankfully, this version improves on Metroplex's limitations. The hips/legs don't fly everywhere when attempting action poses and you can justify the price difference given Takara's Headmaster Cartoon detail. Yes, Fortress doesn't include a gun, but who needs a gun when you have a monster sword to slice your enemies with?

Fortress: The cartoon likeness is incredible! It literally looks like Fortress stepped off my TV screen. I'm a much bigger fan of Headmaster's Fortress than Rebirth's rendition. Plus, the sound effects are incredible! Who doesn't love the Headmaster jingle? Easily top two, if not the most catchy Transformer theme song in history (Victory is a close second!)

IMG_7202.JPG IMG_7203.JPG IMG_7206.JPG IMG_7207.JPG IMG_7211.JPG IMG_7212.JPG IMG_7214.JPG IMG_7215.JPG

Master Sword: It is big, looks exactly like the cartoon, and doesn't have Masterpiece Star Saber's problem of sideways sword holding. Fortress will cut you down to size, no issue!

IMG_7216.JPG
    IMG_7218.JPG

Space Shuttle: I mean, it is literally Fortress laying on his back, I wasn't expecting too much. I haven't had the opportunity to sticker him up but I'll update the pics once I have.

IMG_7219.JPG IMG_7220.JPG IMG_7221.JPG IMG_7223.JPG

City Mode: As a Metroplex retool, you can't recreate Fortress' distinctive city mode. I'm not sure what they're going for so I'll just say it was a decent effort....

IMG_7225.JPG IMG_7227.JPG IMG_7229.JPG

Robot Mode: It is big, colorful, and very intimidating. What more do you want?

IMG_7230.JPG

QC Issues: Word to wise, I'd order this figure from local distributors. My original Fort Max came with a broken right arm straight out of the box. Luckily, Toy Dojo was able to swap figures out easily and painlessly with a few pics and an explanation! With such a huge figure, shipping from HLJ and RK would have been a pain if an exchange was required.

IMG_7160.JPG IMG_7163.JPG IMG_7164.JPG IMG_7165.JPG

Hasbro Vs. Takara: If you have the money, Takara's version wins hands down; not even up for discussion! That is not to say the former's figure is trash but it seems Takara spared no expense to make their quintessential Fortress figure.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the review and pics, I can't wait to get mine. I don't have Metroplex so double-dipping on the design wasn't an issue for me, and since I never had the original G1 toy I'm looking forward to having this beast sat around my apartment :) 

3. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    image.jpeg

The Titans meet!!! Honestly, after pulling out Metropelx, I'm going to wait to see what Reprolabels has to offer before I sticker up Fortress

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  4. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got mine in today. I'm in love. However, one thing I've noticed is that I can't get the lower legs to open up Metroplex-style for the fan city mode. I'm curious is Takara might have glued something in place or if I'm just dumb. I mean, the hinges are still there and everything.

5. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know, I noticed that too! I haven't tried to force it open but I don't see why it wouldn't open.

6. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 IMPOSSIBRU!

Absolutely love my Takara Fort Max. Only negative thing compared to Hasbro Max is that Takara Fortress lacks any sounds specific to head and command tower modes. Since this means the switch triggered by the rod sticking up out of the tower now goes unused, I wish they'd placed an on/off switch in its place. The sounds are great but not being able to transform him without the (very loud) sounds going off multiple times is a bit of a pain.

EDIT: Oof... Be very careful with the turret in his clear chest compartment. I rotated it around and despite there being no noticeable resistance, it caused two massive cracks to form in the piece that holds the turret. They're bad enough that there's now pretty much no friction there whatsoever.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  7. FortMax123

FortMax123 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I came to the realisation that g1 fort max having an elevator was pretty pointless. I mean it's a cool gimmick but in terms of practicality, why go up an elevator just to come back down on a ramp? I mean, it would make much more sense if the elevator took you up to another level or the ramp was the only way in or out of the base but no, that's not the case. So what's the point of fort max having an elevator in terms of functionality?

Also, if Fort Max was this tall
    http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/b/b1/HeadmastersScale.jpg
    Then wouldn't Galen/Spike have to grow to become Cerebros' head. Unless Galen/Spike was bigger than Stylor. But the tiny white guy in the photo is apparently Spike Witwicky. Either that or Cerebros' would have to grow to become Fort Max's head, right?

Still, I do love Fort Max.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That is Headmasters Fort Max, not Rebirth or Marvel. So there is no Galen or Spike involved. Just a bunch of Transformery mass shifting.

9. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What batteries does Cerebros need? I can only see the ones for max listed in the box.

Or did everyone else's Cerebros work out the box and I've got a dud?

10. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 IMPOSSIBRU!

AAA batteries. None for Fort Max, all the electronics are in Cerebros.

11. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Reassuring, thank you. I'd looked at Cerebros and thought "there's no way you can get 2 x aaa in there!"

12. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 IMPOSSIBRU!

They go in the head mode forehead, or jetpack in bot mode. Take note that it's not a removable panel, but rather you need to move the joint that looks like an ab crunch once you've removed the screw.

13. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I showed my Fort Max to one of my best friends and really - there's no hiding the joy this toy brings, it's priceless :) 

sophie-fortmax.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sorry but your picture reminded me of this lol
    11016047_1546303165639516_2172808745595324164_n.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  15. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    ^hahahaahaha

I really need this guy to bad all the pre-orders sold out before I was able to snag one...well except for tfsource......

16. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  17. Blot

Blot Terrorcon Foot Soldier

News Credits:
    They were going for his "impenetrable fortress" mode as shown in the 1987 pack in catalog (they showed this instead of the shuttle):[​IMG]

18. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Must... resist... urge... to... buy...

19. DaftRaider

DaftRaider Sir Not-a-Decepticon

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

hmmmm has anyone done that with the G1 yet?

As a proud new owner of one, I'll have to give it a try.