Takara Tomy Generations Selects Volcanicus

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by PoweredConvoy, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

Grimmaster Prime loaned him his enigma of combination (not kidding)

• Like Like x 3
  2. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    I thought Takara was all one giant mega-continuity?

• Like Like x 1
  3. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it has branching timelines.

Hasbro has a multiverse arranged by flavor -- kind of like DC Comics' classic Elseworlds.

Takara has a multiverse that splinters off at key events or when time travelers muck up the timeline -- kind of like Marvel Comics classically.

I thought one translator said this was a new timeline in 2050 but -- even if it isn't -- it's 40 odd years after Headmasters and 20 years after Return of Convoy. Plenty of time, I guess, for Skywarp and Thundercracker to get reformatted back and the Dinobots to get a combiner upgrade from Wheeljack 2. (In the main JG1, Wheeljack's presence in later anime is explained as Alternators Wheeljack from a variant 2005 or so crossing back into the original timeline and replacing the dead Wheeljack, I think?)

Hasbro continuity is like DC. Lots of reboots and theme variants and near identical universes. Takara continuity is like X-Men continuity where a bad guy creates an alternate timeline and a few people cross back into the main timeline.

So Takara is kind of one big story hopping between universes with animated G1 as the "prime" universe and Hasbro is like the same story getting told over and over with subtle variations in multiple universes.

Anyway: it's 2050 and the Takara Selects manga is so trippy I'm barely following it but seems to center on Optimus and Megatron being plucked from the end of American G1 and taken back in time millions of years ago and given future bodies in a war where TFs from multiple realities' futures have formed factions based on their paint jobs and Primacron is fighting against a fake Primus? And now Primacron has plucked the Dinobots from just before the events of Generation 2 in a timeline that may or may not be the main one? But where everyone definitely resembles WFC toys.

it's such a big mess that I'm not sure anyone is keeping track.

I'll take an assist from anyone with a longer attention span than mine:

4. Fafnir72

Just between the battle where Grimmaster gets stepped on and he survives, he loans Grimlock the enigma. It's a woozy!

• Like Like x 2
  5. CynicalGaymer

CynicalGaymer Well-Known Member

Ugh. I just fell into a TFWiki rabbit-hole, and now I hate myself for wanting this to replace my PotP Volcanicus.

Please, someone stop me before I hurt myself (i.e., my wallet).

• Like Like x 3
  6. Fafnir72

You want a AbS/PVC intervention? Is there such a cure? :lolol 

• Like Like x 2
  7. Fc203

Fc203 Hasbro shill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
  8. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  9. RacerCheetor

RacerCheetor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  10. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    When the tease first came, I told myself the only way I'd buy it is if it were either an entirely new team/combiner or contributed something major to the Volcanicus figure.

Make no mistake, if I didn't have it already I'd absolutely be all over this. But I have Volcanicus already and unless I can unload him for like $100 I don't think this is worth it.

What I would do, however, is cross my fingers and hope that Takara doing Volcanicus will inspire Perfect Effect and Transform Dream Wave to reissue their upgrade kits. I'll spend $50 or so on one of those rather than $200 for this.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Markdelg

Markdelg Spin Road fan

News Credits:
    It was Grimmaster’s Energon Matrix.

The Legends comics and these new Generations comics are part of the Japanese G1 cartoon continuity. But there are other continuities that aren’t, such as Cloud or United.

Mostly correct. I don’t know about the ‘fake Primus’ thing; I’m pretty sure the Primus we’re seeing is the real deal. And, Primus summoned the Dinobots, not Primacron. And, the year 2050 that the Dinobots came from is the JG1 cartoon continuity, after G2 and the end of the Legends comics. And, for some reason all the Transformers now have Earthrise bodies in 2050 even though most of their alt-modes resemble the ‘80’s vehicles the toys are based on...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 11:26 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  12. CynicalGaymer

The *only* thing giving me pause at the moment is that the Transform Dream Wave upgrade kit we're using won't color match to this new Volcanicus version's much brighter gold and slightly brighter gray / silver, since it was color matched for the dimmer hues of the PotP set. (The TDW feet don't much matter, since this set includes some, but the TDW chestpiece surrounding Grimlock's dino head and the gold claws on the TDW fists will definitely look a little... off.)

13. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    That was my concern as well. They may not reissue the originals...but they'd release a small run of color-matched sets featuring just enough to fill out this kit (so no feet, no hands, no swords).

Which would be a bummer, because obviously beyond the color it'd mean we wouldn't have access to the full kit.

14. CynicalGaymer

If TDW did do a revised upgrade set, I'd really hope it would actually include the hands. I happen to love that clawed aesthetic better than the type of hands that came with the Takara Seacons.

TDW Hands.png

The feet and swords, of course, could be done without for this new Volcanicus. I will probably still use the massive dark orange sword that came with the original TDW upgrade, rather than the two new Takara ones. We'll have to see...

• Like Like x 2
  15. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    No, there is nothing that can be done...;) 

16. Rated X

Rated X Well-Known Member

Theres no wow factor for this set. No retools like Groove, Blast-Off, or Nosecone. No dramatic deco change like Megatronia or Ruination. Its just Volcanicus without stickers for $200

• Like Like x 2
  17. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Can't polish a turd.

• Like Like x 1
  18. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Oh yes, you can...
    1cb8df7b55f523b360ce3e236a125fcd.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  19. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wrong

• Like Like x 4
  20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    I really like the more metallic colors but I prefer my Dinobots to have red eyes. Plus I definitely don\'t need another verson of these particular gimmick-hindered molds.

• Like Like x 2