Takara-Tomy Diaclone Reboot

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Transmorph633, Jun 17, 2015.

1. puma

puma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The 2 Waruder suits. Releasing same month as the Raptor kit.

• Like Like x 1
  2. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They release in 10~ish days. Shipping to the states must be under 12 bucks or so I imagine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Anybody got a review of the small mech guy you can turn into a helicopter? He's got a double gun turret instead of a robot head. Mostly white/grey.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's Delta. Such an awesome figure!

• Like Like x 1
  5. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Okay, just watched a video review. If I get one more figure it'll be delta. I have no interest in the bigger stuff. I'd rather have playset environments. If they ever make that command center thing (doubt it) then I might be interested in that.

• Like Like x 2
  6. IczerRyuga

IczerRyuga Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Hey there,kinda new to this Diaclone stuff. Just watched a bunch of commercials and I think I'm tuned to Diaclone as much as TF tho I did manage to find something of Diaclone relevance. Right here:

A messed up fever dream of Diaclone toys mixed with Vifam,Ideon characters and other mecha anime shit like Votoms' Scope dog. The ultimate mess of Korean' crap called 'Space Transformers'.

If that wasn't enough,in the 90's since Transformers died and Brave was the thing for Takara,looks like Takara wanted to bring back the real-robot schtick they had and funded something called 'D-1 Devastator'. There's not a LOT of info of what this franchise was gonna be but looking at this OVA coupled with the Car Robots gimmick that made way for Transformers:

I'm wondering if D-1 Devastator itself was meant to be a reboot to Diaclone back in the 90's. It has the Takara logo after all. I do have some images of D-1 Devastator if anyone is interested including character models and stuff.

Vector Versus could easily become part of the Reboot line and I don't mind seeing it in its glory:

• Like Like x 6
  7. AliasAngelAlias

AliasAngelAlias Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  8. Strike Creamsicle

Strike Creamsicle Likes the G2 neon lights TFW2005 Supporter

You're going to fit in just fine here. :) 

I hadn't heard of any of these before, really curious about what D-1 was supposed to be. But Space Transformers is really... that's a gem. Thank you for that.

• Like Like x 2
  9. IczerRyuga

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    No prob. I thought some exposure to fans of Diaclone should take a look at these. It's getting late for me here like almost 2 AM here. I'll continue the rest when I get some sleep. I can't wait to show you guys some of the artwork that comes into making this...supposed forgotten reboot of Diaclone..like the 80th time(?). The first being Transformers. (The 80th time was a joke. XD)

I'd also wanna discuss about this piece of junk known as Space Transformers in a little more detail,no thanks to 80's-90's Korean animation studios not giving a hoot or 2 about copyright infringement.

Well,it's like having another Fortress X so why not?

• Like Like x 1
  10. MasterScale

MasterScale Loose, comes with baggage...

I woudn't mind having Omega - I think the bot mode is great :)  I'm not fond of the base mode for this particular iteration of the character. I do like the tank and the extra long rocket though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. IczerRyuga

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Ok,back to my first post here. Considering the fact that we have a MORONIC animation studio creating this abomination,the story goes like you knew.

~~~ WARNING!! AVGN-style of review of 'Space Transformers' has been edited to be more reviewer friendly to not arouse any kind of hostilities. I greatly apologize if any reader has been perplexed,puzzled or angered to read the previous post. I was not angered,I just had a lazy mind doing my thinking today. Without further ado,enjoy the review. ~~~

Aliens attack Earth. Real creative but the twist here is that there's a girl who's IQ is over 300,giving her priority to create the latest in technology like security and all that futuristic shit. During an assassination,she gets killed (Really shoulda given her extra priority for security there,morons.) and now some dumbass scientists found out she was injected with some virus.

Anyways,they injected into her body a robot which might be another robot from a Diaclone line but I dunno what robot he is. X_X So this robot was piloted by Vifam from...Vifam. Hello,I AM Vifam~ ^_^

Microscopic size they injected the robot into the girl's body and yeah,there is space and a battle inside her. >_< While that's happening,one of the main villains from Space Runaway Ideon and a pivotal bitch at that,Harulu Ajiba happens to rule inside the domain and won against VIFAM. >_< Wha? I know Harulu is one of the most despicable characters in Ideon and for a great reason at that: [​IMG] But here,she's called General Mary and is typical spoiled teenager woman. Well the good thing at least is that you can see her take a shower and wearing a cyan,blue spandex suit but that's about it. Holy smokes,did she get degraded. She also rides on the Scopedog from VOTOMS of all things: [​IMG] And no,she does not ride inside the robot but on it. >_> Ok,moving on.

Also,Scopedog is the "Camera-Robot". Oh yeah,because Reflector: [​IMG] was SAVED for SOLAR ADVENTURE,another awful anime movie which he was called Cannon-Robo but that's another story which will never be explained here because this is Diaclone,not Microman. So General Mary spends most of her time abusing Vifam as her slave. So when Plan A to save IQ girl failed,the main characters..one of them being Mugen Masato: [​IMG] from Dorvack a.k.a the anime with Roadbuster and Whirl says 'Let me and the girl go in to save IQ girl and Vifam!' So they did so in the..BATTLE BUFFALO!! A.k.a Diatron-5 in this movie: [​IMG]

I'm starting to think Vifam's robot was this guy,the Guts Blocker: [​IMG] Recolored in white.

So Masato and girl (whom I wish I know her name because she came from somewhere but don't remember) traverse into IQ Girl's body through micro-scopic injection and there are people living in there?!! So they meet up with a KING of all things and decided to rebel against said evil forces.

Srsly,anybody knows this girl's outfit and name from somewhere because I sure don't remember. [​IMG] WAIT A SECOND!! 0_0 That's SAYAKA YUMI FROM MAZINGER Z in her pink outfit: [​IMG] All they did was cut her hair short and give her black tights and her skirt's more singular than frilled like a lot of those Seifuku ones. >_< After appealing to the king of IQ-land,they head off to fight the not-BUFF CLAN with green germ people and their leader is Gije the DJ Zaral from Ideon. [​IMG] Yeah,Kasha..Gije's punishment ISN'T death but to be in this confusing mess!! So when our "HEROES" lose the fight,Masato fell into a pit set by Gije to fight an ugly worm monster (ripping off Star Wars here) and found a hole in the cave it was in...another hole I mean. So from there he met up with Cosmo and Kasha from Ideon like I mention the other two villains but this time unlike their REAL anime counterparts: [​IMG] They're actually lot more nicer than they were. This is like what happens if the Buff Clan didn't decide to fight the humans living on the planet they were on in Ep. 1 of Ideon and lived peacefully. Unfortunately like their Real anime counterparts,Kasha dies first because Cosmo even though he can fight,he refuses and Masato and Cosmo let their guard down since the enemy knows where Masato was. After one of the enemy clowns get killed,they had a funeral for Kasha,knowing Ideon wouldn't come to their aid and so Cosmo vowed revenge against his sworn enemy,the Buff- I mean the virus people led by not-Gije and not-Harulu Ajiba who is now General Mary and yeah,Cosmo's awesome in this. He shot down people with a Machine Gun,General Mary gets her ass kicked by Vifam(literally if you watch this shit) and Harulu Ajiba/General Mary gets killed by being shot in the ass by a missile. XD

I'm not making this shit up. So in order to blow the enemy's base as well as this fever dream inside of IQ girl (remember her?),Cosmo sacrifices his life in order for our heroes - Masato,Sayaka Yumi and Vifam as well as Battle Buffalo to escape. So when the danger inside IQ girl is gone,Battle Buffalo goes up into space to fight against the invaders who were still having trouble to fend our Earth's defenses and all that and that's where the movie ends.

So a Diaclone knock-off anime featuring characters from Dorvack,Ideon and Mazinger Z as well as VOTOMS and VIFAM. Well,this is something you don't see everyday.[​IMG] Apparently,Joseph Lai distributed this and has basically made a name for himself by creating this not-SRW cinematic universe and made a living out of this. You can find the physical DVD on Walmart or Big Lots for basically below 5 because they knew this was awful.

Unfortunately,this got another DUB using the Voice actors from Heath Cliff:
    Oh btw,IQ girl's name is Ivy but might as well call her IQ girl because she's forgettable. This whole thing is forgettable tbh.

Now with that outta the way,D-1 Devastator is next and believe me,it's comparison to Diaclone's concept and design will come into play and the people involved in this production will play a part in this OVA as I try to explain and theorize what happened in this OVA as well as some bonuses D-1 Devastator got.

DQxhUElUQAAHwWu.jpg To compare with this: [​IMG]

Now that's some beautiful Diaclone tributing there,90's anime style. Hopefully that waters your thirst for knowledge of this forgotten Takara product.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  12. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was enjoying your posts up until you turned sort of angry all of a sudden. The all CAPS ‘Korean idiots and shit from Seoul’ really sort of rubs me the wrong way. I feel as you’re being rather mean when it’s unwarranted.

• Like Like x 1
  13. IczerRyuga

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Well,this is what happens when you watch this movie,it really was mocking the name of Diaclone in the wrong kinda sense. I'm really sorry about the anger and stuff. It was concentrated on the animation studio that had NO idea what the 'H' they were doing with what they were doing and I'm surprised that they managed to break though some infringement and stuff. I really don't mean any kind of hate towards anybody,just wanting to imitate what I saw with AVGN and Nostalgia Critic...the old Critic I mean but hey,I just wanted to imitate their style and place it on text form for people to see for their enjoyment or probable hate or even knowledge. You gotta see the movie to see how awful they can make a product to be or enjoy how your fave product can be executed by 'not so capable hands'.

^_^ My bad. Again,I apologize if the tone of my last post was raging. Kinda watch waaaay too much angry reviewers for my own sake so I just wanted to get this outta the way.

Edit: Ok,so my post is now 'Rage-less and somewhat toned-down' edition. Not to make the same mistake like anyone else otherwise I would make an inescapable mess which I'm gonna need to think out of the box to get out and no one wants to make a war-zone out of thin-air. I apologize if any needless offense was made. That post was again,was done in an AVGN-style kinda review and I didn't realize or know what the repercussions would be. -_- Whoops.

Response to my stupidity 2.png Response to my stupidity.jpg Then I hope not to make the same mistake again,girls. This is what happens when a lazy mind takes over. So hopefully with the dark rain over my head outta the way,the next day will hopefully cut to the chase with D-1 Devastator (because I wanna get some sleep tonight,mom ^_^). Is it really Diaclone or am I really that insane for thinking otherwise?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Strike Creamsicle

Strike Creamsicle Likes the G2 neon lights TFW2005 Supporter

This stuff is fascinating, weird, and almost entirely nonsensical... and I mean, go ahead and call it that. But vitriol for vitriol's sake? I'll just roll my eyes and put the whole channel on ignore. "angry internet reviewers" are like modern shock jocks. Don't imitate them - just be yourself. :) 

Anyways! A lot of these weird combination knockoff type shows that I've seen make me think of the kind of storylines some 8 year olds would come up with when faced with a giant pile of toys from a bunch of different shows. Why not play with them all together? Why not write down whatever they come up with? Then, why not animate it?

/shrug

You don't see a lot about Diaclone once Takara brought Transformers "back" to Japan. I've always wondered if a lot of later TF toys, with random gimmicks or seemingly throwback to early Diaclone design, came off of some Diaclone drawing board. You know, Galaxy Shuttle, Sky Garry, Star Saber... a lot of these other "giant robot"-esque designs that came about in Headmasters or Zone. While the line kind of stalled in the US, then turned into Generation 2 and eventually Beast Wars, it continued for much longer in Japan with more episodes and characters. I'm sure some of them were invented for those shows, but I still wonder how much of it was inspired by leftover designs from Diaclone or other shelved toylines.

And when toys are licensed into other territories, you wind up with strange combinations there, too. For instance, there's a lot of Generation 2, later Beast era and Car Robots stuff that was available in Korea under different packaging, all officially licensed. But without the context of what they were (I'm not sure what happened with those shows in Korea) they're just... random figures that don't seem to have much in common. And even in the US, since we didn't get the continuing G1 cartoons that happened in Japan, we had something like 90 characters introduced in an hour or so at the very end of Generation 1 ("the rebirth") and if you go back and watch it now, it really feels like one of these random mishmash knockoff shows from (random country). It's painful - on my last watch through I just skipped it and went straight to Headmasters. Try and come up with a story for all of these new figures that were just dumped on shelves at the end of the 80s and it might just look like Space Transformers.

I don't like knockoff figures but, a TV show that was cobbled together from a bunch of unrelated elements so that some company could sell more of the toys they'd legitimately licensed for local sale? That's how Transformers started. Space Transformers could have gone on to be a 10-year running Korean Anime Sci-Fi classic. It didn't, obviously, but... a lot of what we watched in the 80s and 90s was a mishmash of different properties and licensing, or stuff heavily altered from the originals anyways. Quick list off the top of my head for some things we had in the US that a lot of people consider "classics" these days:

Tranzor Z instead of Mazinger (missing about 30 episodes, heavily edited)
    Voltron (which was a combination of two series, "vehicle voltron" was another show that I don't believe was related to "lion voltron")
    Robotech instead of Macross / Southern Cross / Mospeada (+ bonus, a strange Robotech movie in place of the first part of Megazone 23, that had elements of what they wanted to put in Sentinels but then realized they couldn't so they changed a bunch of stuff around for no apparent reason anyways)
    Power Rangers instead of Sentai Zyuranger
    Teknoman in place of Tekkaman Blade (dropped half a dozen episodes or so)

It was pretty rare that a series came to the US without being heavily altered - Ronin Warriors (Samurai Troopers in Japan) is the only one that springs to mind before the late 90s anime boom.

I'm going way off topic here, so... I got my Delta suit in a couple weeks back! I still haven't had time to open it. All of these new figures look amazing but I'm feeling action figure fatigue a lot more these days than I have in the past. I don't have anything else on order right now and I may just keep it that way, so I can enjoy the few Diaclone and Waruder suits that I have.

• Like Like x 2
  15. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the medic suit you made...so simple and so obvious I can't believe I didn't think of it myself. Love it!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Hello, chaps, I could've sworn I saw a proto of a NuDiaclone figure of some sort armed with a spear during the Wonderfest coverage but I can't seem to track it down, have I conflated toylines or something?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I think it's mentioned in the instructions for the D type suit, it's a sticker that comes with the toy.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 3
  18. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    really? i don't have the suit so i didn't know that. makes sense

• Like Like x 1
  19. IczerRyuga

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Oh yeah. I didn't realize. It's kinda like making your own story and the whole toyline is pretty much a playground for anybody to pitch in. Also,Revenge of Cronos seemingly took a concept similar to its OG Machine Robo toyline which the story was pretty much TF but made it original is a fascination. Some toys like Flex and Land Giant were from the makes of the Game Genie on NES,galoob. That's amazing,really. Making a toyline and giving it some depth in a cartoon,Dungeons and Dragons for example,was quite different from its RPG counterpart which you can definitely see some influence that Magic Knight Rayearth got its inspiration from where teens get transported to a magical world filled with medieval danger and an animal following them.

Also, 'sees HolyCulture's profile' Ohhhhhhhhhh...whoops. 0_0 Mmmmmmmmmm. Well,I didn't think twice on that.

Well,to remove some unneeded and unwanted tension,here's a little breather before I get into D-1 Devastator which is the history of it all because it involves Transformers,Granzort's popularity and things you didn't think were expected and called for in the form of the one-hit wonder which only did his official gig once in a lifetime only.

So here's the history of D-1 Devastator which I got from it's Japanese wikipedia and certainly,I never got any other information or clarity behind its creation whatsoever. D-1 DEVASTATOR - Wikipedia So after launching Granzort's Laserdisc to the public for sales and being pressured by Bandai,their biggest rival in the industry,Takara wanted to make a multi-media full fledge franchise by bringing together Kaiyodo,Wolf Team and even bringing in Dynamic Productions all together in one circle for this mash-up. If you guys have no idea who Dynamic Productions is,it's Go Nagai. Yes,Go Nagai and Takara working together. Doesn't this sound like Mazinger Z vs Transformers? [​IMG]

Yeah,in fact, Go Nagai and Takara worked WAAAY too many times in the past. The first being Machine Saurer which was not your typical robot toyline which you have a hero who is a grotesque monster fighting a humanoid villain by the name of Death Cross which people mistakenly thought the dragon was a villain and the blue guy was a hero:
    Well,there was a reason why Death Cross gained the nickname,Galaxy emperor and he even gained his own modern toy: [​IMG] Even after seeing his design,he certainly is NO hero but his unfortunately misunderstood counterpart,Machine Saurer eventually became a foil for the Dinobots in Diaclone Adventure World. See? [​IMG] Yeah,so Mazinger Z vs Transformers DID happen before..just not publicly known until a few years later. Machine Saurer even had a hero looking similar to Kouji Kabuto in his own manga: [​IMG]

It's ironic that a hero was turned into a villain like Machine Saurer and it won't be the last time we ever see this heel turn as the Dinobots have did the same thing. They were heroes in Diaclone and Transformers until eventually,they became Geisters who were 1-dimensionally idiotic morons led by the more stuck-up and 'thinking he knows all' Dinogeist: [​IMG]

And yeah,if you want to watch Exkaiser,it's basically Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Season 1 with absolutely nothing special except for the antics of the evil Dinobots. The novelty wears off after ep. 6 because it's basically a no-plot show and the Geisters have absolutely 1-dimension to their characters. Thunder Geist being the absolute example of it all.

Dinogeist is like what deruberhanyok said mentioned. Dinogeist from what I've hear in rumors was originally meant to be Grimlock's Powered Master form from the toyline only Transformers one-hit wonder - Return of Convoy/Battlestars 'Galactica': [​IMG] And I can see why he was meant to be Grimlock.

But enough about the Dinobots,we're here to talk about Go Nagai and his relationship with Takara. Go Nagai worked with Takara to work on Machine Saurer,the earliest collab the 2 ever did as well as toys for Jushin Liger: [​IMG] and even creating plushies for a certain 'Warrior of Love' that I adore so much by Nagai-sensei himself: 183370840241_1.jpg Oh and there was also Jeeg which would then be the basis for Wheeljack: [​IMG]

What company or subsidiary was involved in D-1 Devastator's creation? Well,there were two companies. Two which were called Bee Media and Dynamic Productions. Dynamic Production - Anime News Network
    Dynamic Planning was the main company for Nagai as Dynamic Production only had two stuff in hand and Bee Media did several other things. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=1595

Another person who was gonna have a hand in production is a guy we all know,Masami Obari. We can talk all about this guy but here's some info you may not know about him when working on Transformers G1. In ep. 3,he designed this ship from the third EVER made TF episode,More than meets the eye part. 3:
    Check out 14:09 for the ship. Also,lower your volume 'cause its loud. He also did this money shot of Prime:
    7:08 for that money shot

Little known fact. Thanks to fuckyeahobari tumblr for that info.

Another known individual working on this project is Takehito Ito who is known for Outlaw Star,Silent Mobius designs,Ryu Knight,KO Beast and the original Unicron design. I'm not kidding. This guy is badass. Oh and he worked on Agent Aika.

The last person who is quite the name is Yasuhiro Moriki who helped on Iczer-3's designs as well as Neos Gold's more dragon looking design and the numerous designs on another Iczer-3 which was an audio drama unrelated to the anime version where Iczer-3 is colored more like Kikaider,Zeorymer,Nadesico Martian Successor and the creator of Gundam Hathaway's Flash Gundams - Penelope and Xi Gundam. Yes!! Those mobile suits. Amazed yet? He has quite the work on him: Yasuhiro MORIKI - Anime News Network

Now with all these names working on the project,there is one unknown person who like Vanilla Ice did his once and only acting debut on 'Cool as Ice' but unlike the Iceman,this guy was known only to do some hentai manga. -_- (I can't believe I'm saying this here.) Please welcome Chouji Maboroshi. His first and ONLY work as character designer officially in the anime industry.

It's really unknown why they hired him to do this but apparently,Takara was looking for young fresh talent and since Masami Obari was hitting it out of the ball park with his works on Exkaiser's openings and even becoming mecha visual director in Fighbird which were in Takara and Sunrise's Brave series,Takara thought of pitting a guy known for at the time as the guy who made Gorgon: [​IMG] Hell,even one of the main characters in D-1 Devastator looked like the main girl of Gorgon,Cierra. The main girl in D-1 Devastator,Nami Hoshino...seems to be more of a background character but pitted with the main guy but as we delve deeper into Gorgon (for a little while),you're all gonna be laughing your butts off or totally terrified by the revelation of this young lady.

So diving into Choji Maboroshi's first foray into the hentai industry ('facepalm'),Gorgon is more of a parody of the typical fantasy RPG manga where it focuses on 3 sisters of the Gorgon Sister trio. Why they were named that? Because they cause trouble to others and each other in an unlucky fashion. Their names - Ciera the Black Bandit,Maria the White Cleric and the last is Vesti (I forgot her name) who happens to be a mage of some sort. I forgot. One thing they have in common is their VERY terrible sense of direction. You guys can even collect the comics which is the only englished-published work of his under Venus comics: https://www.amazon.com/Chouji-Maboroshis-Gorgon-Adult-Manga/dp/B005V3Q6EU

So yeah,it's a WEIRD START to his career but he only made 4 hentai mangas and that's it. He did some safe doujin work called Camel Filter which I'll upload some later on,showcasing his talent before and after he worked on D-1 Devastator which strangely enough,his famed Gorgon was published in 1992,the same year D-1 Devastator was launched.

My only guess as to why the character Nami Hoshino was promoted in D-1 Devastator was that she was a porn star from Choji's works and yeah,she's quite more colorful in Gorgon as she was in Devastator. It's just that she was taking a backseat considering the fame she'll get. >_> Cierra CHANGED her name into Nami because she was playing the character like Machine Robo Cronos style where this video showcases that the characters in Machine Robo were playing a TV show akin to Sentai and Kamen Rider. Whack,I know.

You can definitely see she got nothing to hide: e74927cb240029f7.jpg (Not to worry,seems like she was wearing an undersuit underneath that armor which we'll get to the character design aspect later on.) Yeesh. 0_0

So with that disturbing turn on events over,the history lesson is over and I'm gonna need to watch the first episode of this OVA and dissect how they come about in the creation of this forgotten (reboot) of Takara's lifespan.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  20. AliasAngelAlias

AliasAngelAlias Well-Known Member

Love the color combinations of DA-30

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]