Takara-Tomy Diaclone Reboot

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Transmorph633, Jun 17, 2015.

1. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

I know your pain
    20240310_201336.jpg

Edit:
    in other news, Verse Caliber goes with everything
    20240407_184412.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 10
  2. mouschi

mouschi Well-Known Member

Thanks I'll check them out! Do you know if da98 and 99 conflict with each other?

• Like Like x 3
  3. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you hit the fundamentals

The rest are ancillary that help fill out the ecosystem

for example, do you really need a second DiaTrain? Thats DA96, the only diff is the color of the window

DA93 (DiaGuardian + second Cosmo Roller) means you also need DA97 (upgrade parts and crane)

It is very cool to have an entire task force of smaller support craft around GRB to handle different functions but its not “needed”

If you’re getting into D Vehicles you’re getting a bunch of smaller support vehicles that way too

• Like Like x 3
  4. OptionZero

News Credits:
    I believe you “can” but it gets awkward since its intended to be one or the either. Obviously Takara wants you to buy two DA95 to use one of each.

• Like Like x 4
  5. mouschi

mouschi Well-Known Member

Bummer! I *think* i like 99 better than 98 and got the 98. Is one more popular than the other?

• Like Like x 3
  6. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

Yeah, if I had to choose, I’d say da-99

• Like Like x 4
  7. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    To be a Diaclone Collector is to also by default be a Brave Collector! :p 

• Like Like x 6
  8. OptionZero

News Credits:
    subjective, but the flight deck fills out the carrier mode so well

and I don’t mean to say the other sets aren’t good, more than DA95 itself already gives you a bunch a vehicles

Prime example again DA96 - It’s Diatrain with a blue cockpit window. Good mold, I like it, is a second one worth $30 to you? Only you can answer

meanwhile the D vehicle sets are coming with Riot Boxer, Valhounds, fighters, helicopters, moto cruisers, etc

heck, D vehicle Set 4 itself is s Heliscout, 2 Base Fighters, and a sky lancer on top of the load chambers and Dianauts

Bottom line:
    You got tons of options if you’re into filling out the smaller vehicle fleet

and they aren’t stopping. I bet they’re pumping out D vehicle sets every couple months

• Like Like x 2
  9. spark crusher

spark crusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the worst thing about this is it looks cool in a pose, but you cant. the articulation is just a tease. and the issues could have been avoided if they had just made the knee joints better. its like they didnt bother testing anything before releasing it

• Like Like x 4
  10. RoadCaesar

RoadCaesar Diaclone Clone TFW2005 Supporter

The best recommendations are covered, but also adding that DA-98/-99 conflict at the front of the deck. The extra Deck Cannons from DA-98 use the same ports as the deck expansion of -99. It's not possible to cleanly attach both, but it's your decision. The other components can be simultaneously applied without conflict.

Regarding the smaller vehicles complimenting RB G-X, I think the TakaraTomy Mall exclusive D-Vehicles 4 would be a compelling addition. You get a yellow and green version of the DA-95 base fighters (2) and also a black-and-opposite colored Skylancer (red) and Heliscout (blue).

11. OptionZero

News Credits:
    Making even Robot Base a mass produced unit is some sicko stuff from Takara. Well done

• Like Like x 4
  12. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I have yet to receive Cloud Across so I can't check for myself, but is GRB being unable to be posed a widespread problem? I'd be extremely disappointed if a 1000 euro toy turns out to be a statue.

• Like Like x 3
  13. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

It's tricky.
    Articulated
    Big
    Complex
    Dense

ABCD is tricky to get for a Titan class toy (50-65cm in height)
    T30 Metroplex had aBCd.
    Fortress had aBcd.
    Triptycon, aBCd.
    The Ark and Nemesis tried ABcd.
    Tidal Wave is ABCd, still shorter than other Titans.

For Diaclone at best we had Big Powered, AbCd, and Gigantor, AbCD.
    Great Robot Base is properly ABCD, and it's a bit like dividing by zero:
    Articulated, but unwieldly
    Big, too big to be left in a pose on a shelf
    Complex, too complex to have few, very strong joints.
    Dense, too heavy to stand solidly in many poses - especially because it's top-heavy.

Personally, even if GRB could hold a Shoryuken pose I would still leave it in alt mode, it's so much fun already.

• Like Like x 7
  14. OptionZero

News Credits:
    The Raid Bullet finally has a home

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  15. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 2
  16. RoadCaesar

Yes* it can be posed.

1000004444.jpg

*: the weight of DA-100 necessitates the use of the included leg support locks if you're leaving it unattended. They lock the knees from the front and back and lock the forward/backward motions of the leg at the hip.

Everything else is fine, but even with the leg ratchets, you'll want to be mindful of those joints that I mentioned above when posing for pics. If you're going to leave it in a highly dynamic pose over time (regarding the knees and hips) then you'll want to add a brace/stand of some kind to add support. (Much like HasLab Unicron)

• Like Like x 8
  17. Junkmech

Junkmech Mouthplate Enthusiast

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I remember seeing photos of it back when it was first brand new, and something about it just spoke to me. The big bubble-visored cockpit head, the truck and jet vehicles... I honestly don't really know, but it's always been a collection want ever since it first came out. With a DA-80 coming soon, I'll have hit both the big Diaclone toys I've wanted forever. (Any Big Powered, before, but 80 is the best so...) I guess I might pivot away from 3P TFs in the foreseeable future and get fully into Diaclone instead, we'll see.

The whole situation with the leg locks is why I passed on Robot Base. As far as I'm concerned it ruins the combined result - Sure you "can" pose it, but it being such an unstable piece and for the price, I just gave up on it lol. I might track down the pants someday as a strictly base-mode component, though.

• Like Like x 4
  18. OptionZero

News Credits:
    Were DA-64/70 especially limited release? The price for them is nuts, and the parts for DA65 are (Partially) from Big Powered

DA70 is 50% pricier than 64!

• Like Like x 2
  19. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

As both @rikkomba and @RoadCaesar have stated, it could pose like a champ because the articulation is there but sadly the ratchets aren’t robust enough to hold anything but the most basic pose without the use of aids or additional support - but the other modes are where the real play value is at and this ensures the toy will never be a statue. Besides, there is still plenty to love about RBGX in mech mode (besides aesthetics), tonnes of its features are still accessible.

I’d like to see a 3P or TT offer a stand so you could take advantage of the articulation…

not that it should really be necessary; some other titan class figures (siege Omega Supreme comes to mind) don’t have to compromise their articulation because of their size.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
  20. RoadCaesar

I think each person should evaluate it in hand before this harsh of a final judgement. For whatever it's worth, RB G-X is just as stable as HasTak Titans and can enter and hold all but the most absurd dynamic poses as plastic toys of that scale.

He is definitely top heavy, but "unstable" will be subjective based on what you're comparing it against and what your actual, physical expectations and demands are. Ultimately, it's your collection and your decision, so if it's not for you, it's not for you. I'd just hate for you to miss out on it due to a potential misconception.

And frankly, DA-95 really offers the bulk of the non-Robot Base features and functionality. It's a potent addition on its own.

No, but because they include additional parts for DA-65/-91, they're very highly prized and sought after. The big draw seems to be the various command consoles and chairs that expand what is included with DA-65. Even last year at this time, prices were exceptionally brutal; they're even more painful now.

• Like Like x 3