Takara-Tomy Diaclone Reboot

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Transmorph633, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Spikeytigertron

Spikeytigertron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did that shear off??

• Like Like x 3
  2. mouschi

mouschi Well-Known Member

Ok, count me in - just placed an order for DA-95, 99, and 100. Looks like super cool set!

• Like Like x 14
  3. RoadCaesar

RoadCaesar Diaclone Clone TFW2005 Supporter

Welcome to the club! Always fantastic to see the Diamond Cyclone forces bolstered with additional deployments!

FWIW, don't skip DA-97 or DA-98 if you can help it. Aside from the 97 crane arm and the additional 98 armaments, you also get additional Sentai/Rainbow Dianauts to staff your RB G-X.

• Like Like x 6
  4. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

Congratulations!

You might want to give a look at DA-104, whose components are meant to go with DA-95 (and it's a great toy on its own)

• Like Like x 4
  5. mouschi

mouschi Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! If I'm reading this right, there are various other robots that hook into this guy or something? I am clueless on this stuff ...

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ares58

Ares58 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the (addiction) club! Pretty much everything in Diaclone is compatible with each other, amd can be taken apart and rebuilt into whatever you can come up with, but the figures associated most with GX are DA-93, 96, 97, 98, 99, 101, and 104. A lot of these are remolds, as DA-96 is just a recolor of the ship that already comes with DA-95. In addition, DA-104 is a recolor of the stuff you get with 93 and 97, but with a different head and a few extra parts missing.

• Like Like x 7
  7. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

When a "big bot" is released, it's usually complemented by several smaller sets.
    From your list, DA-104 Zeros replaces DA-93 and DA-97; DA-98 is not essential, but most of its parts can be cool; DA-101 is a recovery of two different types of older Power Suits (first and third generation); and DA-105 will bring four new dianauts to populate DA-95 plus a small "lift vehicle" which doesn't slot anywhere, but is just fun.

We are expecting a few dedicated expansions for DA-100.

• Like Like x 4
  8. RoboArt

RoboArt Well-Known Member

IMG_0707.PNG

If Diaclone was a TV anime series...

• Like Like x 15
  9. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

B98AFFC5-2B7C-44ED-AD94-1C4CAF20C53B.gif

Welcome! You can afford to be without DA-96 and perhaps 98 but you’ll want DA-104 - or the combination of DA-93 and 97, just to reiterate what others are saying.

• Like Like x 9
  10. Jalen Gatton07

Jalen Gatton07 Adapt or Die Tonight

News Credits:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Ah, I remember the days of anticipation for that answer, only to be disappointed :(  at least 98/99 both look good on him separately.

Is DA-102 out in the US through BBTS yet?

• Like Like x 4
  11. Mechman42

Mechman42 Queen of Sound

News Credits:
    How on earth do you guys afford these? The giant robot/not-Metroplex looks epic but $500 for just half is a hard pill to swallow.

• Like Like x 4
  12. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

Sorry to see this, that sucks balls

• Like Like x 5
  13. glinthos

glinthos doomed hometown

Well, I'm at a point in life where I have some discretionary income, and I'm not buying much of anything else toy-related at this time. Diaclone is pretty much it for me.

• Like Like x 4
  14. RoadCaesar

RoadCaesar Diaclone Clone TFW2005 Supporter

So I had a very hard time with this at the onset as well, but here's how it played out for me, a former diehard CHUG TF collector:
    • Time between releases: most of us have been waiting for close to 9 months for DA-100 Cloud Across. That's plenty of time to budget and save.
    • Cost per release: DA-95 and DA-100 are on the upper end of the cost curve. Few other releases are more than $350 at release; most are far less. It's unlikely that anything like DA-95/DA-100 will come along again soon. The bulk of the upcoming releases will be $150 or less.
    • Age of the Brand: Diaclone has been around since 2015/2016 in this form. That means that many long time collectors have been picking up each release as it was new. That's a LOT of savings. Especially if they chose to sell off excess or extras...
    • Retained Value: ... Because Diaclone (2015) has excellent resale value in Asia and in the US (and UK/Europe.) Even getting back what you paid at release is a boon for people just coming along today. The appreciated collector value ("late tax") is potent for new comers on old releases, but helps long time collectors trim down on excess to fund new releases.
    • Feature Density: unlike mass retail brands like TFs (even 3P), Diaclone has tons of value in just about every set - even the smallest Powered Suits. And it's a system, much like LEGO. While there are official configurations and sub-gimmicks, nearly everything is compatible and interchangeable in some way with everything else. The villain sublines (Waruder) are made up entirely of building block components which enable unfathomable opportunities for custom designs.
    • Consumer Target: Diaclone is specifically aimed at TakaraTomy's clientele that can afford the upper end product line; they categorize it as a " boutique collectible", much like Masterpiece TFs. They're aiming to cater to a niche market rather than a mass market (like TFs or GIJoe). In fact, after delving into Diaclone, I lost interest in most of the upcoming Hasbro TFs, and only a handful of 3P that are upgrades of characters I already have excellent versions of. That's a lot of savings to apply to one single brand.
    10 years ago, I wouldn't have been able to afford Diaclone as I enjoy it today. But I would have picked up individual sets that I could afford as they released. And with so much lead time, DA-95 and DA-100 would have been easy to budget for over a 9 months period. Buying both together at the same time would absolutely have been unimaginable for me back then, and still super tough today.

• Like Like x 9
  15. Dunedain

Dunedain Winter is coming

I rob banks, armored trucks, atms, and jewelry stores, on the regular. Im known as the Diaclone bandit, :p :p :p .

• Like Like x 8
  16. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

As hard of a pill it is to swallow it now, it is still a whole lot better than swallowing it a year or two later, possibly at twice that price.

• Like Like x 9
  17. DiaNaut

DiaNaut 72nd Battalion Epsilon Unit

Pretty much what @RoadCaesar said, I have pretty much narrowed down my purchases to just Diaclone and Warhammer figures every know and then. Transformers don't show up often where I live and I have pretty much gotten all the ones I want save for a few that haven't come out yet. My wife doesn't like to buy much except for some facial products every few months, so I have the income to use on stuff I want.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Gabtool

Gabtool FIYAH!!!

Ebay:
    Just to gauge interest because the topic is on other franchises as well as Diaclone. How many people here are also getting Missing Link Convoy? I was getting it regardless but the fact that the trailer still has all of the Dianaut seats won me over even more.

• Like Like x 9
  19. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

it's a total replacement for generations.
    this is roughly one year, for $1200, including GD

DA-90 MOTOCRUISER / RAIDBULLET SET
    DA-91 Super Heavy Machine (Pod Gantry) Exclusive
    DA-92 Armor Wrap Combination Powered Convoy
    DA-93 Robot Base Machine Set
    DA-94 Waruder Legion Vajra
    DA-95 Robot Base (Grand Dion)
    DA-96 Robot Base Dia Fighter/S
    DA-97 Robot Base expansion set
    DA-98 Robot Base Artillery Set A
    DA-99 Robot Base expansion set 2
    DA-101

$23 per week, in the UK it's the price of a food delivery (£17)

• Like Like x 5
  20. Mechman42

Mechman42 Queen of Sound

News Credits:
    Yeah the hard part is that i’ve already ditched Generations in favor of third party, and i don’t plan on dropping that, so i’m unfortunately priced out of diaclone.

• Like Like x 6