Takara-Tomy Diaclone Reboot

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Transmorph633, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Matrix Quest

Matrix Quest Can't Escape from the 1:60 Scale Diaclone World

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I know for me, the look of the TriVers stuff just feels a bit too much like sentient robots/super robot lifeforms, i.e. Transformers, or people in costumes, i.e. super sentai, instead of feeling like conceivable piloted mecha... I don't hate them, but they "generally" have less appeal.

I often find myself trying alternate configurations, like mecha modes, with the TriVers "bots", rather than the normal robot modes. That said, I still quite like TriDigger as a whole and the cannon vehicle VersRiser - Unit 2 as a strong piece of support machinery. The V-Movers also mostly just lack some of the feeling of scale that the 2 prior "Suit" sets had, I think that is due to the "smoother" and less detailed surfaces looking just a bit more animated.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Vancelle

Vancelle #MarsBaseRubicon TFW2005 Supporter

Instagram:
    Mail call! 3 sets were delivered today. DA-62 Base Dianauts set, the tactical carrier option set x2, and DA-33 my Grail.

Shout-out to @Reaper6 for giving me the chance to purchase my Diaclone Grail set: DA-33! Thank you so much, I am so excited to play with it today!

20230323_123226.jpg

• Like Like x 21
  3. Reaper6

Reaper6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It never really clicked with me, so I'm glad it's gone to someone who will truly appreciate it. I hope it's everything you wanted of it and more.

• Like Like x 11
  4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Has anyone ever tried pairing up THS-2 Hybrid Style Convoy with Diaclone Reboot? Wondering how it scales...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Regent

Regent Kabaya Gum Kit Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Ok, not gonna lie, it bugged me for a tad that Diaclone Convoy's chest & arms weren't scaling as nice as I'd liked with TriMech parts, BUT! I think I've finally settled on something I'm proud of.

Behold Big Blue:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Really thankful the DA-81 cannons were easy to mount in the pre-existing convoy back-shoulder mounts. I think they really help sell the look. This config could definitely use another BFG, though. I've got to work on fabricating something better.

• Like Like x 15
  6. Viper2

Viper2 Storming the Moon Gate

That's quite the...heroic build:eek: 

• Like Like x 5
  7. Regent

Regent Kabaya Gum Kit Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Found one. I love TriDig's cannons so much.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  8. Spikeytigertron

Spikeytigertron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Part of the struggle with the VERS-Movers is that they're rigged very differently from the prior power suits, instead of the legs being on a 'spinal slide' they're a pivot and/peg joint. The shoulders are also exceptionally broad. My favorite V-Movers are actually the one's that don't try to look like power suits. So 1 and 4 compared to 2 and 3. Another way I try to think of them... they're realistically the smallest 'vehicle' we're going to get in this play line. So the Hard Head with the vehicle rigging was nice, even if it was yellow.

As far as the Tactical Movers [mechs] I think of them more like 008MS Team Zakus, or more in-line with something like Front Mission or Armored core. Especially considering how hardened-looking their cockpits are compared to the 'bullet proof windscreen' that most of the traditional Diaclone roll with.

Regarding Tri-VERS... I think there were a couple misteps with them. Being only three main components kind of hurt them in general. I would have prefered the arm units were on block-slides like most of the larger releases. To a degree the Tactical Movers are falling into this same trap (the mech frame itself). I also felt like they really hammered out those releases back and forth.... so we just felt so flooded in the moment. and while Battle Convoy has a lot of backards compatability and they'll be using VERS as their main system now... Buffalo and Dia Battles don't really interact with either of them.

• Like Like x 6
  9. RoadCaesar

RoadCaesar Diaclone Clone TFW2005 Supporter

Woof.

This is something I'm beginning to see as well as I delve deeper. I found myself really appreciating the block/rail design of some of the big, main sets like Big Powered and X Convoy. And while the Tactical Mover frames are really nifty with their modular capabilities (more so that the Powered/Maneuver suits), I do like them more than the Versriser Suits. Something about the Vers Chariot just looks...aesthetically awkward to me, and it's all stemming from the core Vers suit. Same for the Vers...Riser? (the aero unit). They all look like kneeling PacRim Chibis with cosplay parts tacked on. As such, I find myself less passionate about collecting them for my diorama/base.

But bottom line: even at their subjective "worst", everything in this product line warrants appreciation.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Blisherfuz128

Blisherfuz128 How do you like the taste of FREEDOM!

For me, I really like how the versaulters look realistic, and have an actual pilot while also being able to be transformed, not too big to play with for me, and affordable-ish (more than other lines in Diaclone). I’ve always really liked mechs, so for me the versaulters are good toys made by a company I trust that are piloted mechs that aren’t (completely) model kits.

Also, what are Versrisers? Thanks!

• Like Like x 10
  11. Spikeytigertron

News Credits:
    The VERS Risers came in three major forms, air/land/artillery.
    ダイアクロン オフィシャルサイト|タカラトミー

ダイアクロン オフィシャルサイト|タカラトミー

ダイアクロン オフィシャルサイト|タカラトミー

From a conversational point the V-Movers/Risers/things(!) get interchanged a lot because there’s not a very clean way to refer to them. They’d been out for several years before I realized each frame had its own in-universe name.
    ———————
    ダイアクロン オフィシャルサイト|タカラトミー
    the V-Mover will always have a warm spot for me, because until the (relatively) recently revealed ‘Base Fighter’ these guys werrr probably the closest we got to a small ‘bullet fighter’ mixed with a power suit (and cleaner-relatively than Maneuver Delta).

ダイアクロン オフィシャルサイト|タカラトミー

VM-02 will always be the most controversial for me… I love the ‘jeep grill’ details on the suit chassis…. But as a ‘jeep vehicle’ it doesn’t flow at all… ‘Hard Head’ did it better in DA-81
    ダイアクロン オフィシャルサイト|タカラトミー

Though I wish it was ‘moon buggy’ white with blue instead of yellow with blue.

ダイアクロン オフィシャルサイト|タカラトミー

VM03 probably pulled off ‘convertible power suit the best’ but the treads are a lot of chonky kibble. Though you could make the argument someone took a power suit and fused a dart loader to it.

ダイアクロン オフィシャルサイト|タカラトミー

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 8
  12. Spikeytigertron

News Credits:
    Apologies for the double post, and while related to the prior… it’s enough for a pivot I felt a fresh post so the other doesn’t get too much longer….

Where to Jump In and What to Chase After-

Is probably both the hardest question to answer and the most subjective.

Takara has does a relatively wonderful job keeping all the sets relevant while also evolving and moving forward over the years… but I do think as the play patterns have evolved and the ‘late tax’ ever increasing… there are a few breakpoints in the line. But… it also depends on what you’re looking to get out of it.
    ——————————————-
    The TriVERS and their Risers (both suits and auxiliary equipment) are in a bit of a weird space at the moment. A lot of them shelf warmed for a long time… but seems to be getting harder to find. Or depending on specific models and colors.

I almost feel like the Tactical Mover framed and auxiliaries are the better deal at the moment, but they’re also less flexible than older TriVERS stuff.
    ——————————-
    On the other hand, and we keep moving more and more into VERS integration the older sets Big Powered (prior to DA-80), Buffalo, Dia Battles and the Power and Maneuver suits are getting less relevant… are they still amazing toys? Absolutely! Will you want those Dia Battle or Buffalo arms for your Battle Convoy customization… probably! But I’d argue the buy-in gets rockier every year.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, I have. Unfortunately it’s too small in truck mode to be good Optimus Prime in the Diaclone world.

I really was hoping it was 1:60 scale, but it’s not.

• Like Like x 5
  14. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Thanks. It looked like it was close...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thereal9thdoctor

Thereal9thdoctor Dude, where's my TARDIS?

YouTube (Legacy):
    So, because its me, I had to do my usual crap to my Cosmo Roller... and Diaguardian will be on the plate in a day or two, I gotta get somewhere with a project TogeAtama and I are up to... 20230323_211125.jpg 20230323_211105.jpg 20230323_211049.jpg 20230323_211043.jpg 20230323_211033.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  16. HemanPrime

HemanPrime Well-Known Member

look at that glorious list! We’ve come a long ways since da-01! I sure hope da-100 isn’t the end

• Like Like x 5
  17. Xaxis

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, I had it put away in storage for years and from my memory of it I had high hopes.

I pulled it out of storage last year excited to see how it would scale with Dianauts and…

Robot mode looked alright
    1438A800-9580-46A5-9C7D-D15F53365070.jpeg

but janky truck mode not so much! :D 
    B5AF861C-E06D-4886-B87D-5265AAB95427.jpeg

Tractor trailer tires aren’t that small!

• Like Like x 7
  18. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Actually, it's close. Basically, the dimensions are fine. But the semi mode isn't a normal semi and has smaller than normal tires.
    maxresdefault.jpg
    How about Roller and the trailer?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    WHATS THIS ABOUT PRIMES THAT SCALE WITH DIACLONE?!?!?!?
    8318B0D1-7AE5-4FC4-ABB7-962543A8FDA6.jpeg 60710B12-A026-48E2-A998-A8696EA9F391.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  20. Xaxis

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    If Prime is a full-sized cabover that’s based on a Freightliner, the whole truck is too small, as we can see in this image:

upload_2023-3-23_20-31-51.jpeg

However, if he’s a mini cabover like this one then I suppose THS-02 works. :D 
    upload_2023-3-23_20-43-37.jpeg

Big NO in that department! :D 
    8B1ACCD6-287F-46CF-9962-8990C0E57161.jpeg

The truck mode looks better, but it’s still too small. :D 

• Like Like x 10