Takara-Tomy Diaclone Reboot

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Transmorph633, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    You’re safe. The pale blue just looks lighter under studio lighting than it does in average home lighting.

The expansion pack is specifically meant to go with the two “standard issue” Versaulters—Gamma and Tread—so the colors of the parts match them respectively.

• Like Like x 8
  2. DiaNaut

DiaNaut 72nd Battalion Epsilon Unit

Oh wow, I didn't realize he was THAT blue. Dang, this is the version without the the tread equipment right? Hmm...

• Like Like x 4
  3. Brink 37

Brink 37 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    I'm just now getting into the line too, but that's thanks to Tactical Mover sets being priced so much more reasonably. I haven't been able to find most older sets that I'd want to pay the mark ups for. TriJetter specifically. I did manage to get the Alpha Spartan and Sky Jacket though. That's a nice set.

• Like Like x 4
  4. protohuman

protohuman Primus was a pander

I was just appreciating my Diaclones and came up with a simple question.
    If there was one thing aesthetic you could change about the line what would it be?
    My response would be, more asymmetrical designs.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Xaxis

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yup, it's the version without the tread equipment and it's not really that blue in person. Again, it's all due to lighting and camera settings and the photo that @Brink 37 is bringing out more saturation in the blue, the official photos make it look lighter than it is. The actual color is somewhere in between the two and is really very nice in person.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Spikeytigertron

Spikeytigertron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The accessory pack should color match the ‘naked’ Treader and Gamma

Those are some good starting points. I would throw a couple thoughts. If they’re still available to you, I would recommend the DA-82 (?) Evol/Mega Grappler (even though it’s not on Dark Cathode- hopefully we’ll get one soon). Solider is a solid figure, but compared to Ripper (and presumably Vajra) it’s not as versatile. Without a Gigantor/Drago Head, you’re leaving some play on the table there.

I wish you luck finding a Pod Grander solo, hopefully at a reasonable price. Gantry is a decent stand-in (though you don’t get the Battle Convoy dock or D.F.O.)

The TriVERS are solid, though finding the Risers now could be tricky.

I would say that the Tacticsl Carrier/truck and a Chariot/Air (Gamma) would be a solid alternative, but they won’t quite do the same things that TriVERS would do.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Dunedain

Dunedain Winter is coming

BBTS has the new underwater sub Versaulter up for pre order, so i ordered one. Normally i would get a couple, but idk how i feel about a whole underwater theater of war too, on top of everything else. Although it makes sense there would be one.

I think he looks awesome, and i dig the missile's popping up feature, i just cant see a ton of "play", or even diorama value, having to be under the ocean. That said, the background info of the energy being extracted underwater, and the battle with the Waruders over it, is intriguing. I might regret only getting one, once Takara releases the Waruder 's undersea version of a counter to this guy, and its awesome.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Spikeytigertron

News Credits:
    I wouldn’t have been mad if Hawk and Argo charged us a little extra for an articulated display stand. I got plenty of figma and a few cheap/KO stands, but a missed opportunity for something with the Diaclone logo on the baseplate.

Both of them just strike me as being back heavy and need that extra dynamics to really pop.

I think that’s also why I hesitated all of a day to preorder Agro, beyond a line-up of suits I’m not quite sure what/how I’d display it. Would be cool if we got some kind of armored crab/lobster waruder mech to go with it though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought it was Black treads and white wings... or are we talking about something else here ?

----------

I suppose Gundam being so old may have had a large influence on lots of things including the cockpit section being a seperate micro vehicle that docks with the body. But didn't they have a feature like that on Mech Godzilla one time ??

But there is lots and lots of comparmentalised vehicle designs older than Gundam Gerry Anderson's Skydiver from UFO for one. Heck you can even see it in Transformers with the Autobot's shuttle's seperations function.

Or Thunderbirds 2086 with the sleds they fly into the vehicles. & even the way the cockpits dock in Space Above and Beyond.

Being a Japanese line though I think Japanese influnences are very likely. But they do like Gerry Anderson a whole lot in Japan so that is why we see the obvious Sky Diver influence in the sub design I feel. But there is lots of things that had the combination interfacing feature from Japanese Spiderman's mech to Star Fleet.

I don't for one second think Diaclone considers Terrahawks an influence but that was a show that had a few things in it that at least shared some concepts, and so did the Ultra Man Guts machines as those had a mix and match ability sometimes too.

I guess Diaclone of the original kind has plenty of similar tiny vehicles that combine, unite and interface that those can be all the inflence they needed to have. even if the way so many have a specific cockpit stuck on the front is hard to pin down.
    who knows maybe they were even a little inspired by the Babylon 5 Starfury ejection mechanism. Maybe one of the designers has said in an interview at some stage... I guess someone could find out who to ask and well "ask".

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  10. Dunedain

We might though, and thats what scares me, cause you know its going to be awesome. Then we will be regretting only getting one, and trying to find as many we can find, lol. My issue is that in order to properly display Argo we will have to make an underwater dio that it can be floating or submerged in.

I know a few here love the underwater aspect, and use all the yellow colored vehicles as water mechs or vehicles. The Taurus powersuit too, especially the yellow version, is big one others use as a submersible. I am happy for those people that dig that, cause Argo is perfect for them.

Personally though, underwater was not on my radar for fitting in with my collection and cannon. In my world all my Diaclone and Waruder sets are populating the vastness of open space, upper atmospheres of planets, lunar cratered terrain, barren planets, lushly vegetated alien planets, destroyed war torn cities, technologically advanced futuristic cities, space stations, or even underground, but i never felt under the sea was in my cannon.

I do have to say though, if they continue to go the water direction, coming out with some really cool stuff, and Argo is not just a "one off", it may change my mind. I am already intrigued by Takaras cannon info of fighting over the energy stored on the sea floor, so maybe good things are in store for us.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Xaxis

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It’s black treads for Gamma and pale blue wings for Tread.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well "white" in the very broad sense of the word of a very pale colour, oddly I had to watch several videos on that Tread to even notice one was pale blue it's a bit like some of those Marine types are they grey or pale blue sometimes I can't tell until I am holding it in my hand what colour it actually is.

It's nice they are going with some of the traditional colours some of the older stuff had I like that it's a good way to stretch the play pattern.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Spikeytigertron

News Credits:
    Yeah, if we had an inverted Ground Dion that had bay doors that could 'deploy' Agros... I'd be easily sold and in a 'lot of trouble' for buying it and trying to figure out where to display them lol. It'll be interesting to see if Cloud Across splits the difference between an 'air/space carrier' and 'submersible carrier'.

Oh man, don't get me started on the Cosmo Marine colors lol... I would have been more 'in' on them back when they first came out... if it was significantly clearer how well the colors matched... all the pictures on Takara's Website were inconsistent, and sometimes even varried from review to review based on studio lighting/camera as has been pointed out.

Treader looks 'white' but I guarentee you get him in-hand or next to Hawk and it'll be a stark difference. I like to think of Tread and Chariot as the classic example of warm vs cool grey. You'd think 'grey is grey' but you'd be wrong lol. I suppose you could make the argument that Treader (and it's to-be-released flight kit is closer to 'low visibility' grey of some modern-day combat aircraft compared to the 'night ops' grey that Airbone Gamma is).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Matrix Quest

Matrix Quest Can't Escape from the 1:60 Scale Diaclone World

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    - "..."

A Diaguardion stands watch over a city against the darkness.

Photo_1673846256975.jpg

This is the latest in my Faux Comic Cover Series. Various Diaclone sets used with 1:60 Tomica diecast vehicles in 1:64 G-Fans shop and XCarToys dioramas.

• Like Like x 9
  15. Dunedain

Looks awesome dude.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Dunedain

Wait, your Waruder crab/lobster idea just made me think of something. What about a huge Waruder Megalodon shark like creature to battle the Argo's. That might be cool? Or some uber tentacled squid/octopus type creature. Similar to the Rippers, and Vajras tail like features, i could totally see a huge menacing Waruder with 8 long, wriggling appendages, wrapping around, ripping apart, and crushing a squad of Argos.

Sh&t Spikey, we might have to get 8 Argo's now, dammit.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Spikeytigertron

News Credits:
    A squid/octopus would definitely be 'on brand' for waruders- probably even going so far as that each tentacle could be it's own worm pod type vehicle. A giant "death Nessy" would be cool though lol. A Tako Tank like vehicle (Beast Wars II/Neo) would be really cool too for something 'smaller'.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Unclejoe420

Unclejoe420 Well-Known Member

All this talk of Waruder monster ideas has me wondering what's next after Vajra!

• Like Like x 3
  19. NightCabbage

NightCabbage TFW2005 Supporter

Hopefully something big...

• Like Like x 5
  20. Unclejoe420

Unclejoe420 Well-Known Member

Hopefully, yeah.. If not, I guess I might have to dang-well build something myself!!

• Like Like x 2