Takara-Tomy Diaclone Reboot

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Transmorph633, Jun 17, 2015.

1. protohuman

protohuman Primus was a pander

I think I make a post every year about how this line isn't Transformers. But I state it in the kindest way possible, not this year. I'm sickened by this kind of discussion visually and find it insignificant conceptually.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Spikeytigertron

Spikeytigertron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Soon Hawk VERSaulter news will drop, and it'll get buried :D 

• Like Like x 5
  3. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Well, if anything, it might hold off the aftermarket for a bit if Hasbro is maintaining a stock on Pulse that Takara would increase supply to support.

• Like Like x 3
  4. puma

puma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That’s the thing. Diaclone is Takara only. Hasbro has no investment in it so who’s to say Hasbro asking Takara to make more so they could also carry it would even get acknowledged. I don’t think Pulse carrying it also would make any difference in the long run. Takara should increase production numbers so these things stay in stock longer. There’s plenty of domestic retailers to choose from as is. the “problem” isn’t lack of retailers. If there is any sort of problem, it’s a mix of Takara doesn’t reissue items in Diaclone so the production runs of the previously released items don’t change, people who’ve bought the older items aren’t selling them enough to sustain the current thirst for Diaclone, and Diaclone being right now at its most popular it’s ever been. Essentially high demand, low stock. I highly suspect it’s due in part to Great Robot Base finally getting its day in the sun with a modern release. In that radio interview months ago, the Takara employee said their allotment of DA-95s they had available were almost all claimed by retailers. If they didn’t take that as a sign to increase numbers, then I don’t know what they’re doing over there. Lol. I don’t know exactly how Takara works internally but I sure hope they are going to pump out DA-95 in record numbers. If not, we’ll be here in year listening to people complaining how the pants are $1000 on eBay while they’re sitting in the shirt they got at retail.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Verthawk

Verthawk Duly-Appointed Enforcer of the Emperor of Mankind

Megahouse Gundam Catapult

I’m always looking for cool dio pieces to boost my Diaclone displays. Has anyone incorporated the Megahouse Catapults? There are 3 or 4 or them in 1/144 scale. The are pricey - but I thing we are all accustom to large price tags at this point

I was wondering how they would work for our displays

6. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

I don't want TFs for Christmas
    There is just one thing I need
    I don't care if transformation comes without a power suit
    All Dia-nauts for me to own
    More than you could now afford
    Make my wish come true
    All I want for Christmas is you

20221206_151544.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  7. Spikeytigertron

Spikeytigertron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is…. Is that…. It… it can’t be! A DA-65 in minty bubble wrap?

• Like Like x 5
  8. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

20221206_152617.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  9. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Noisemaze Collector

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  10. unexistance

unexistance 60:1 scale human in Diaclone world

yup, we're waiting for
    - Diaclone twitter announcements
    - Diaclone page / website update

• Like Like x 6
  11. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
  12. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Noisemaze Collector

News Credits:
    Already ordered one on Ami this morning. Love the Space vibes

• Like Like x 3
  13. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    One of the main reasons I don’t think we’ll see Hasbro importing Diaclone is that they’re still operating under a very American toy company business model. By that I mean a few things: 1) toys are primarily for kids, even if they also interest adult collectors. 2) The way they meet their minimum order quantity with the factory is heavily tied to having major retailers like Target and Walmart commit to stocking a toyline on their shelves. 3) There’s absolutely no media to promote Diaclone, so Hasbro will see it as something that people won’t be aware of or maintain interest in.

Even with Hasbro Pulse as a retail channel now, Hasbro would still need to foot the bill for their part of an expanded Diaclone production run. With Diaclone being a line for ages 15+, I don’t see Hasbro being able to justify marketing that under their business model. Yes, they do directly import the Masterpiece line now through Pulse, but it took them over a decade to get to that point. With all of the small parts and sharp pieces, I just don’t think they’d consider Diaclone something they can sell.

Honestly, I don’t want Hasbro involved in Diaclone at all. TakaraTomy has a fantastic thing going as is and the potential for Hasbro’s involvement possibly altering the line isn’t worth it. TT has approached the line in a way that makes sense for their primary market and their business model. They’re also very aware of how well the line is doing.

I’m not saying that increased production numbers is a bad idea, just that Hasbro isn’t the right way to go about it.

Side note: I believe I’ve seen posts on Twitter from Japanese collectors expressing concern over foreign customers buying Diaclone and “taking away” from the production run intended for the domestic market. So there is argument for increased production runs from that angle too.

I was one of those talking about the connection with Waruda and Goa’uld, and it goes beyond the similarity of the Worm Pod design. TT’s description of the Warudaroids describes them as android bodies housing an organic creature. The Waruda are very much like if the Goa’uld built themselves androids to use as hosts instead of inhabiting organic hosts.

And that observation of the similarity between a Worm Pod and Goa’uld is, in my mind, further evidence that the Waruda creatures resembling “primitive marine organisms” means they look like a sea snake or eel, similar to the Goa’uld.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Thereal9thdoctor

Thereal9thdoctor Dude, where's my TARDIS?

YouTube (Legacy):
    Agreed. Its a robot, period. I think it looks fine.

• Like Like x 4
  15. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Hasbro leveraging their partnership to carry Diaclone would be welcome, to me at least. Nothing like having an international company market your product beyond Japan. Without that marketing advantage, what would be the impetus for Takara to do more than they are doing right now? Not to mention that Hasbro could become an international distributor for the line and get the product into places like Target and Barnes and Noble. It'd be nice to get the product down closer to Japan retail like Bluefin does with Bandai product.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fractle

Fractle Well-Known Member

17. Matrix Quest

Matrix Quest Can't Escape from the 1:60 Scale Diaclone World

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    There appears to be a lot of short-term memory, which may be accredited to half of those discussing the line having jumped onboard since V-Max was released, and just how long 2022 has seemed. It was just early 2021, when I first joined the line, that many sets were still available through many retailers BELOW MSRP and some sets had sat on shelves for a couple of years, not selling. You could get small lots at big discounts on eBay, and I DID. V-Max's release and GRB's announcement have brought many new fans to the line and as someone said above, less are leaving the line than before.

(Believe it or not, the major design shift to TriVers and continually increasing price points turned many off and they got out, putting a lot of collections on the market and reducing their aftermarket for a time. Toys are not a guaranteed investment, nothing is; it is always about timing and supply/demand.)

The point of this is it wasn't that long ago, just over a year, that several retailers, (especially US ones), had Diaclone languishing at discounts on their sites. Trust me, the big etailers with staying power keep records of these things. They also have been burned by importing costs, delays, and presell cancellations that has become a culture of hunting for speed and deals. They are going to be weary of ordering more than they can presell, and at times, ordering less, expecting cancellations. In addition, the economy can hit these high-end, smaller production lines faster than mainstream ones. It is akin to any luxury item market.

The whole point of this is just to remind everyone, this sellout trend is relatively new and only been around for about 20% of this line's lifespan.

Thank you. Was waiting on that one. 3 preordered and paid for. (I pre-bought a lot of giftcard credit when exchange rate was really US favorable.)

• Like Like x 1
  18. 80sforged

80sforged Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am also guessing that DA-93 will be released and possibly charged on Dec. 29th on AJ. Noticed the delivery ETA was the same on all of my Dec PO's, including GX-105 Mazinger which was showing the 29th.

19. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 4
  20. Brink 37

Brink 37 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    I feel like I started something. Sorry. Was only trying to make a joke. I'll try again.

On another unrelated note! Has anyone been brave enough to discuss the Lightyear and Star Wars scale ships and how they work with Dia naughts?

• Like Like x 6