Takara-Tomy Diaclone Reboot

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Transmorph633, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Spikeytigertron

Spikeytigertron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe it's the sheer quantity and the colors... but I suddenly have (despite the wrong time of year) a mighty compulsion to decorate a Xmas tree in nothing but fling/sting suits (bonus points if we could get LEDs in the cockpits)

It's a good hill to go out on tbh. For what it's worth, I feel like the prices have more-or-less stayed in line with the original yardsticks. That said, anything better than a TriVERS (and even they) crawled above $100. Between DA-14 (30250) and DA-33 (36300) there was a ~6000y jump... DA-80 (44000) was quite a jump, but I'd argue that was significant retooling. I'm still scared of GRB price (but hoping it'll be three sets no more than like $250 a pop). Pod Gantry still feels like the biggest 'outlier' for price (20900)... but I admit there's a lot going on there and may end up being pretty 'solid' plastic wise.

For what's worth, I always have to keep doing a double-take on the DA-85 page to find the V-Shadow in the armored up mode. At least compared to the inverted DA-92 Battle Convoy it blends the best. I almost dare-say I like the contrast with the DA-85 over the 100% match of DA-65. (I do think DA-92's BC in DA-85 would not look great).

Roasted, salted, or deluxe?

But I agree, most impressive swarms. I wish mine was that big. But I've tried my best to draw the line at one of each color (other than my original six). Buying double Rippers broke my rule... but since we've yet to get confirmation of a solo-release... I really wanted Raider Hanger for the Legio Core.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  2. TogeAtama

TogeAtama Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah I think the important thing is to figure out what your rules are for collecting and to stick to it. It’s hard sometimes but I have to remind myself I’m not swarm building. The most I’ll get of anything is three (usually one to open, one to save and one to have as a backup) - but that’s only for really important items. Usually it’s two for Diaclone because of repaints… but so far I’ve only gotten one of each of the larger items. Space is also the big issue - I don’t like having items stored away… going to need to really plan out for GRB if I go in on it…

• Like Like x 7
  3. Spikeytigertron

News Credits:
    Yeah, having (recently) boxed up all my MP transformers that relatively neatly fit (if you like Tetris) into two large shipping boxes... it certainly "one way to do it". I'm glad I've bowed out of that market unless something just really blows me away (like a MP-Black Convoy/Scourge or a Nemesis Prime (ala Big Convoy-BW2) ). Diaclone adds the additional wrinkle of wanted to keep the box for parts/storage... but where to put them since I'm constantly dipping back into the boxes. If we keep getting boxes the size of DA-65 (think Titan Class transformers who haven't had the pleasure) that gets impractical real quick. I like some of the ideas y'all have come up with with craft/tackle boxes... but that still sits a little funny with me- but I may get to that point just for connivance (and then worry about what to do with the boxes/trays).

Honestly, as much as I'm all in for GRB... I'm.. not sure what/where I'm going to put what will surely be another Titan Class figure probably the size of Metroplex/Fort Max... I just don't see him being smaller, and praying he won't be bigger (!). It's also the same reason, as much as I'd like some kind of 'carrier/ship transport' short of going GI Joe FLAG big... I don't see it.

Swinging this all the way back to DA-80.. (and Big Powered in general) I think that's really the pinnacle for maximum fiddle. I appreciate Pod Grander (DA-65) for the consoles/cranes/catwalks and the space to use them. But if Takara would re-issue the chair brace or an updated Land Battle Cruiser (DA-19) or heck, a "dia train" using the new DA-80 parts (though I'm not sure they'd give us two more 'feet'/'tank' units, a new or modified 'command vehicle' would be cool.

I guess part of my struggle with Pod Grander is you sort of have to set it up for 'open' or 'closed' play. I've seen pics where you can close a 'set up' but they're ultimately a little impractical imo. Where as with Big Powered, you get a bunch of vehicles (or slightly larger pairs) or Forward Operating base, complete with repair bays, and (molded in) computer consoles, cranes (though not quite as cool as DA-65s- but more practical?).

I'm hoping GRB will marry the execution of BP and the scale of Pod Grander... we'll see though. Also having splayed out my fair share of titan class figures... anything 'folded out' play setting would not likely be shelf friendly lol.

If Takara has commited one sin for the Reboot line so far... is I wish we had a bigger road map, with planned, or heck musings, of what repaints they want to do. The Blue D-Calibur VERs guys still bug me... especially since they came out a month after they'd just dropped the Sunburst (red) Dasher. But I suppose the fact that the others came out the previous year (over twelves months) and that Takara only does the 'one run'... it made sense. I just wish they'd done a second run of the Original Dasher, or released a D-Calibur (blue) one.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Rahvin

Rahvin Well-Known Member

Im hoping for the execution on the *later* BP specifically.

And I share the wish for a better roadmap on repaints. I really love the Shadow colors, but Ive been late to the party on several of them or purchased an earlier variant that I wouldnt have bought had I known a Shadow variant was coming. Prices are a bit high to buy repaints on a whim.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Thereal9thdoctor

Thereal9thdoctor Dude, where's my TARDIS?

YouTube (Legacy):
    Annd Verse Calibur is ordered! I expect him late next week cos to save money I did basic $4 shipping.

HE IS FINALLY MINE!! ALL MINE!!! BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Well, that doesn't come off as crazy at all... thumb_smiley-png-creepy-smiley-face-png-free-transparent-53627135.png

• Like Like x 13
  6. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    20220415_114005.jpg

• Like Like x 24
  7. Thereal9thdoctor

YouTube (Legacy):
    Teaser for the final reveal of "Dai Convoy"! I won't post more till its all finished, likely Sunday.

Kinda nerding out on how some of the Gundam decals I am using REALLY seem as if they werendesigned for this guy though. 20220415_114615.jpg 20220415_114609.jpg 20220415_114559.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  8. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    So, some of you may remember me from last year. I got into Diaclone by getting Convoy, Battles Gridman, Grasper, as well as a few of the other smaller mechs. And then, almost as soon as I had got all of them, I turned around and let then go. For a long time I was in a sort of personal transition, and I bought a lot of different things trying to find something that “felt right”. But nothing ever “felt right”. So, I passed on Diaclone and moved onto the next thing.

Around 2 months ago though I kinda felt like I got into a groove I really liked, and with that came a love for Diaclone as it is for was Transformers. The Reboot series being an extention of that. In that groove, I also realized I really wanted to go get into Newage’s Legends series….. mainly to get their Diaclone and Toy repaints. Around this time I really came to both miss, and appreciate all the figures I had sold. I didn’t really understand just how great they were until they were gone.

The idea of a Diaclone collection of Transformers, as all the original Transformers figures were origninally meant to be really drives me. Luckily, Diaclone Reboot figures are around the same scale as Newage figures, meaning I can have the two co-exist as two different generations of Mecha from the same universe.

6704136A-A5F8-492D-A069-179CBE695BD9.jpeg
    This is what I have so far. My original Cosmo Marines Mover, a “Toxic Convoy” a Police Unit, and now of course Verse Caliber. I had waited to start posting in this thread again as the desire for this line….. was like an itch, and funds have been a little tight, so I knew it would drive me crazy. I could have got a plethora of the smaller sets but I wanted Big Powered because I knew he would be a centerpiece. Now, my next steps are to get my hands on a Shadow Convoy, and pick up another V-Max Convoy. I regret selling mine so much.

• Like Like x 13
  9. DeceptiKong

DeceptiKong AKA Sick6Sins

I remember you @Purple Heart, knew you needed a Big Powered :p 

• Like Like x 4
  10. Spikeytigertron

News Credits:
    glad it worked out, hope you love this guy as much as the rest of us love our Big Powered

I *really* need to get the rest of my collection dug out… looking good!

Welcome back! Without throwing up another wall-o-text (I keep doing that :(  ) you’ve captured part of what really clicks for me with this line (though TF:Legacy got me with Menasor) to the point I’ve folded on most of. Y other collecting.

Scale is a big component of it… but I think it also scratches the piloted mecha dream in a way Zoids does t quite get there (static pilots) and a more practical scale that Joy Toys or the other 1:16 (?) scale stuff (though archecore keeps tempting me)…

Good luck with the Battle Convoys (Da-65/Shadow). Although ultimately different. It might be easier to get DA-92, Pod Gantry (and hopefully a pod extension re-issue).

Also if you haven’t been looking at the hard Diaclone (versaulters) there’s some interesting stuff cooking over there.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Thereal9thdoctor

YouTube (Legacy):
    Given I loved the original release version, and this one mostly fixes what complaints I did have with the original, I'm certain I will. He will be after all, the "Ultrazord" of my Diaclone team.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Thereal9thdoctor

YouTube (Legacy):
    VC JUST SHIPPED!! HOOROO!!!

• Like Like x 6
  13. Spikeytigertron

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 9
  14. TogeAtama

TogeAtama Well-Known Member

So for those that have DA-88 in hand now, what do you guys think?

When promo pics hit, it sounded like a lot of people thought it was expensive for what you get. (Myself included, but it’s been a really popular set here in Japan.)

I haven’t had a chance to open mine yet (We’re out of lockdown in and around Tokyo now so it’s been busy), so was wondering what people think.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Spikeytigertron

News Credits:
    also really curious. Mine’s on it’s way, and we’ve seen a few members’ pictures. But I do t recall many, if any (?) summaries beyond “goes well with Da-65 and DA-79”.

so far folks have gotten more creative with the ‘gunner ball’ that I was going to expect.

I’m also trying to recall if anyone has does a full ‘re-armament’ of DA-80. The one down-side (community-size) with all the shipping woes…. The excitement and posts get kind of scattered and burried.

• Like Like x 4
  16. PixHell

PixHell FLÜGGÅӘNKб€ČHIŒßØLĮÊN

Soooo, next week i'll get da-82 (waruder suit or whatever they called that abomination) and 4 copies of da-83 (new dianauts). CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!!!:D 

• Like Like x 3
  17. Spikeytigertron

News Credits:
    Just one DA-82?!

Circling back around to this, since we've got folks who got a DA-80 incoming... did this mis-assembly end up being production wide?

Also have to mentally prepare myself for blue command module canopy... since I keep looking at the stock photos on the product page.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  18. PixHell

PixHell FLÜGGÅӘNKб€ČHIŒßØLĮÊN

I'm not sure, i might've preordered 2 but i doubt because i already have the dark cathode rapto-head.

i'm looking for that old waruder suit with the red core to make a dark cathode version of da-82, i don't really need a second brown/goldish one so i don't think i got 2. And i'm too lazy to search for the preorder confirmation in my mailbox.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Spikeytigertron

News Credits:
    getting the... Brady Stang [bloody sting?] (thanks Engrish) walder machine series walda raider "baghead" & walder suit set < dark cathode type >| product | diaclone official site| takaratomy

might be tricky now. It was another one of those that seemed to linger for a long time, but it eventually sold out. I am curious why of the two dark cathode's they'll use for (hopefully the Dark Cathode DA-82 Mega Grappler) walder suit < dark cathode type >| product | diaclone official site| takaratomy

The only thing I don't care for with the Red Bug-Head is that... it jumped the shark on the Dark Cathode colors... it should have been green. Though I also have to remind myself I keep thinking the Raptor Head is 'purple' but it's canopy is actually that dark smoke they used on both gigantors.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Thereal9thdoctor

YouTube (Legacy):
    Personally the canopies colors are a total whatever to me. If I had my way they would all be just clear, cos as an experiment out of curiosity my GF was messing with looking out the canopy for the Battle Hanger(holding the open canopy to her eye I mean and looking out it) she said it made everything hard to look at as eveything was orange and bothered her eyes. I know its just a toy line, but.... why would you even HAVE such a weird color tinting canopies anyhow? Smoke, ok, basically acts like sunglasses which makes alot of sense. But any other color?

But at the end of the day, its all whatever to me. I am just super excited I will be getting him.

• Like Like x 3