Takara-Tomy Diaclone Reboot

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Transmorph633, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    On the Topic of Mega Grappler
    Oh, yeah, good point! Whether it's green or purple, a Dark Cathode Mega Grappler will look awesome. I'm pretty sure it will have silver in place of the gold too.

Apples and oranges. I still like the look of the Raptor Head in its standard configuration (though I do like the Bug Head more), and while Mega Grappler comes with some of the Raptor Head parts it's a different set. I'd say if you like Raptor Head but like what you can do with the parts in combination with a Suit more than you like the Raptor mode itself, the Mega Grappler is definitely worth getting.

On the Topic of DA-91 Pricing
    Okay, so that ¥20,900 includes Japanese domestic tax, which if I recall correctly is about 10%. For those of us not living in Japan that should make the starting price about ¥19,000

Now, using DA-85 as a reference, it has an MSRP of ¥24,750 which would have a pre-tax MSRP of ¥22,500. My DA-85 preorder at Amazon Japan is currently sitting at ¥18,041 before shipping. That indicates a preorder discount of about 19.8%. Total for DA-85 including shipping (to Oregon, USA - no additional taxes) is sitting at ¥21,372 or about $185.50 at the current exchange rate.

Diaclone sets usually end up with a discount somewhere around 19%, so if we use that figure on DA-91's price of ¥19,000 (excluding the Japanese domestic tax), we're probably looking at an AJP base price around ¥15,390 (approx $133.56 USD) before shipping. Shipping (for me, anyway, since that's the reference I have from previous orders) will probably be around ¥2000-¥3000 so I'll just figure about the same as DA-85 and estimate a total cost of around ¥18,690 or $162.20 USD shipped.

Edit: corrected a math error. Hopefully I didn't make any others. :D 

Now, let's talk about that price and what we get for it…

First, we really can't compare it to the price of the Pod Expansion set. Everything in that set was made from tooling that was created for the Battle Convoy V-MAX set, so there was no cost for new tooling at all.

With DA-91 the only re-used parts are the Pod, the ramp, and the Dianauts (three total - two of which include a new headsculpt).

New tooling gives us a pretty good amount of new parts in this set just from what we've seen so far:
    • Truck body, including all of the wheels
    • Cherry picker for the truck
    • Stabilizers for pod sides (which may have some features we haven't yet seen - just thought those may be Pod Crushers)
    • New computer console and chair
    • Gantry tower
      • Main wall (which may include a working door and related mechanical parts)
      • Hinged segment attached to main wall, with two gantry arms
      • Expandable segment, with two gantry arms
      • Top segment with robot arms (which are likely removable and compatible with 4mm or 5mm ports - including the Vers Riser blocks that allow for slotting into arm mounts on other mech)
    • Command module
    • Radar dishes
    Based on how other recent reveals have been tweeted out in stages, we likely will see that there are a few more accessories, though it's possible that it may not.

I'm pretty confident that they'll be showing off the Pod Gantry's ability to work as a maintenance bay for a fully combined BP Vers Caliber. It looks like it will accommodate that and, like you said, BP VC has the connection compatibility with a Pod in base mode. I'm sure they'll also show it with a fully armored V-MAX.

As for rocket/missile and launcher accessories in DA-91, hmmm... could be. I could see them unveiling that in their next tweet about this set and I could also see a completely different set being the militarized version of this one. So far, just going off of the one tweet we have it's described as "Large mobile base". My impression is that this is primarily a mobile maintenance base and may come with a few cannons but not any heavy weaponry like a missile launcher. I could be wrong, of course. :) 

On the Topic of Other Accessories
    Those catwalks are something I really want more of, and I wish the Pod Greater Expansion had come with at least a couple. Hopefully there's a set that includes them and some spare ramps soon. :) 

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Spikeytigertron

Spikeytigertron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wonderful insight. Also great all out on the 3/5mm blocks from the VERS being slot-able. I’m so stuck in my mind with those as adapters for the V-Mover…. But that’s a totally valid use too!

Your breakdown of the “real price” makes me feel a bit better about it. And what we see, may be what we get (perhaps with a few more console/chair pieces).

in theory there could be more crew too…. But they really don’t like going north of three little dudes.

also wonder if we’ll finally get out 0-9 stickers for the outside/ramp lol (still can’t believe those weren’t on the pod expansions).

• Like Like x 4
  3. Boknight

Boknight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That’s ¥19,000. 10% tax is levied on top of the MRSP.

The PO price in HKD1,330 provides a good proxy of the discounted price excluding whatever it cost to ship to each individual location. That’s about USD170.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Xaxis

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Ah, yes, thanks. I made an error in my math and didn't do the reverse sales tax correctly.

I'll edit my previous post.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don’t forget that DA-52 is called out in the DA-65 instructions. So I counted that too… :lol 

• Like Like x 4
  6. Spikeytigertron

News Credits:
    Fair point lol. I still thought that was really random... but I guess they'd otherwise just be like "hey this post flips out... no reason!".

You also now have me realizing... the wing pack on DA-85 is probably going to roughly the same span... hmm.... :eek: 

[​IMG]

we still haven't gotten a height confirmation on this lil guy yet have we? Probably TriVerse sized? Also, do you suppose DA-85 getting delayed means it might actually ship with dianaut 2.0 instead?

Also the protrusions from the L and T blocks kept bugging me... but now I realize they're to help stabilize/strengthen the connection to V-Max 01. Since they slot in behind the tracks on the side (which also explains why those seemed so over-engineered on the original release).

[​IMG]

Hard it's been almost two years since it's release... but it'd be interested if one of the Convoy packs revisit [Cosmo Maneuvers] (takaratomy.co.jp)ダイアクロン オフィシャルサイト|タカラトミー

Though... the leg/hip connections wouldn't get as much mileage as they used to (if you could call two sets significant millage). Though the could easily swap out that 'cradle' with a VERS T/L block 'launcher' and not really change the functionality of the set.

Seeing the Gantry come with Cosmo Marine (green) almost makes me want to hunt down a DA-18 (the IMS Troop pack with two bikes)

------------

I just realized that the Ripper's Raider Hanger colors had the red accents (to go with the solo legio core) so if we do get a Dark Cathode Legio... bet it will be the purple one.

Reason I'm pondering this... if they give us both colors with the Legio Cores I'm... at a loss for what color the Dark Cathode Mega Grappler might pull. (unless they release the green and purple- but that seems doubtful). I am surprised we haven't gotten more word on TTM recolors and individual Raider Hangers yet though. If they do a solo Raider Hanger... I wonder if it'll be that dark blue with/teal-light blue highlights that match Ripper's legs... that would be a little off-brand color wise for them though. The more I think about it... the thighs being blue in the first place... was rather odd... but I wonder if they did it to help break up the color scheme a bit (and sell us harder on the Legio being 'all grey').

ダイアクロン オフィシャルサイト|タカラトミー

We've probably been over it before (and I just really need to dig them out of storage) but god I swear the older Dark Cathode don't match Solider I and Gigantor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Would be fun if the subverted expectations and the Dark Cathode Mega Grappler had the Flinger 'head'.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  7. PixHell

PixHell FLÜGGÅӘNKб€ČHIŒßØLĮÊN

I have the two Gigantors and a dark cathode rapto-head. Colors match. Can't say the same for the soldier because these are literally my only waruder units, but i think they should match too...

• Like Like x 3
  8. Spikeytigertron

News Credits:
    It's just crazy how different the product shot lighting is between well... products....

[​IMG]

Here they damn near look black... but the Dark Cathode is dark grey. I also just realized how big the Ant Heads are compared to the Legio... that's... huh... makes the little 'tanker' bug that comes with Raptor head... pretty tiny in comparison.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Dark Cathode does match Soldier 1:
    20210719_103446.jpg 20210630_094601.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  10. Spikeytigertron

News Credits:
    Awesome pics! looks like Ant Head (and by extension Gigantor) are right on the money too.

Drago/Ghoul Head weren't any close to matching regular Cathode colors were they?

Solider II still feels a bit like odd man out lately. But I know he' spot on with Ripper, and in theory Mega Grappler.

I also forgot that Soldier II came with a green chest... that was... an odd pull.

@Dachande I didn't catch at first that your third combination there with the Gigantor head... that's using the upper torso of a Solider?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  11. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Both Gigantor releases are Cathode colors in my opinion. One has the Anode colors on the chest but a combination of the two colors isn’t new and the majority of both Gigantors are still that dark gray coloring. If we got an Anode Gigantor at this point I’d be a little surprised but I’d be all about buying two of that one too.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Spikeytigertron

News Credits:
    I'm not sure they'd get me to pull the trigger a 3rd time... but... oddly enough the new head and the arachantor (ghoul) parts along with a second sword sold me on the 2nd run... so who's the say they wouldn't spice up a 3rd release with something even more interesting (three swords?!)

I'm actually not sure I've seen anyone really mess around with too many combinations with the OG suits and the arachantor parts. I do wish the Pod Bunker (the rest of Ghoul) was a bit more... modular.

13. rbarron64

rbarron64 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can anyone link da85 on amazon Japan? Even when he was first up for pre-order I couldn't find him, and even now when searching if I include out of stock items he doesn't show up

14. Xaxis

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 3
  15. rbarron64

rbarron64 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Xaxis

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    You’re welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  17. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    E3552877-F514-4678-B6C0-AAE6E5664F09.jpeg
    That’s going to be a *no* from me, RK. I miss when shipping was reasonable.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Xaxis

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    What the ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff???!!!

That has to be a shipping calculation error.

• Like Like x 3
  19. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It’s because Maryland is a fictional land.

• Like Like x 7
  20. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would hope so. Lol. I think I’ll just stick with my BBTS preorder. I’ll get eventually. Hopefully.

• Like Like x 5