Takara Tomy Booth at Winter Wonderfest Feb 10th

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sam, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

I kind of wonder now how much of Bee 2.0's backpack is owned to "having to be different" then MP21 to help justify his existence and cost. They could have cleaned up their design a lot by recycling some of the engineering of MP21 (like in the feet, for example) but decided not too for whatever reason.

2. Mabus

Mabus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The more I look at Bumblebee v.2, the head sculpt looks bang on but he looks like he has become anorexic with that super lean torso. The design also makes me fear for the other Minibots who I would rather have designed on a similar basis to Bumblbee v.1 than v. 2.

3. Capperclawed

Capperclawed Well-Known Member

I usually can recognize characters, or at least what series they were from, but i cant seem to recall where Star Convoy comes from! Can someone hit me up with a quick and dense history lesson? Also if someone could tell me why it just sort of looks like a big snazzy version of PotP Optimus too that would be rad.

4. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hes from battlestars, one of the last bits of g1 fiction from japan and he looks like potp optimus becuase hes a remold of potp optimus :p 

• Like Like x 2
  5. guarayakha

guarayakha Guara-guara-booyakha~!

Star Convoy is Japanese G1 set right after TF:Zone. It was available only in manga AFAIK.

Base mode seems to be the main gimmick of the line:

• Like Like x 5
  6. Capperclawed

Capperclawed Well-Known Member

with a new armada and cybertron prime, makes me wonder if sometime in this line or early in the next we will get good ol frumpy dumpy Energon prime, with some neat little combiner vehicles. a full cybertronian set of energon prime would be dope.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for a boxset with a new CW mold and remolded CW bots to look like his limbs.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rated X

Rated X Well-Known Member

Hopefully this new style of MP doesnt last. The cool thing about the MP-10 era of figures is that they took everything the Sunbow cartoon got right and worked it in. Anything from the cartoon that was either impossible or really stupid got axed and replace with G1 toy and real life alt mode attributes. This new style of MP (Prime and Bee) take everything that was wrong from the Sunbow cartoon and try to replicate it in plastic. And what they were somewhat able to pull off with Prime failed on Bee miserably. That fake car roof for bees chest is horrible. The feet look ridiculous. And the actual Volkswagen folds up into a damn backpack instead of transforming like every other Bumblebee logically should. A pile of fake parts to make the impossible possible is not the answer. For that just make it a freakin statue. As much as I hate statues, I get their purpose as they replicate the "literal" cartoon look without the problems of engineering. But trying to make a transforming figure look turn into an articulated statue is a recipe for failure. And that alt mode...why does it have to be a goddamn penny racer ? Only somebody who has no respect for classic cars would want this ? Thats why Bumblebee V1 was so cool. It fixed the alt mode into a real Bug. It isnt short and fat and stupid looking to replicate a Japanese 1980s hot wheels car. And it transformed logically. No unnecessary kibble. And how about this new Bees face ? He has a freakin huge Jay Leno jaw. Is it cartoon accurate ? Yes. Does that make it look good or even remotely cool ? Hell f**k no ! At least V1 Bee they shrunk the exaggerated portions and made him look cool. This new MP concept blows. Takara really needs to reassign this new MP guy to a new project. He can design Bot Bots or Disney label transformers. Get him as far away from the MP line as possible before he bankrupts Takara with these overpriced, ridiculous looking real life cartoons with zero style or logic.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Murasame

Murasame We like to talk big, vampires do

News Credits:
    Are those nipples?

10. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I know that figure is kind of outdated but I still like it. I thought about selling it off but I couldn’t bring myself to part with it.

That’s only if we count retcons. When the G1 era ended, Nucleon Quest Super Convoy was not a thing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I keep refreshing my screen on TCP's site in hopes that pre-orders for Armada Prime and Star Convoy will magically show up. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gzstg

Gzstg Active Member

Whats TCP?

13. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Optimal Opthanos

News Credits:
    I want this, but *only* if he's CW compatible.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Markdelg

Markdelg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know that. That’s why I said “technically.” :) 

What’s interesting, though, is that Action Master OP is clearly based on the inner robot from Powermaster OP/Super Ginrai. Since Ginrai’s transtector was meant to be a new body for Convoy, I wonder if Nucleon Quest Super Convoy was actually Ginrai’s old body painted black, after he got his new Victory Leo body?

16. carnerd3000

carnerd3000 "This is bad comedy."

That's something I've been wondering about the Minibots in general, since MP-45's reveal; is it a good idea to give them penny racer/Chibi-styled alt-modes?

In my personal opinion, I would say no, but I can easily understand why it could even be considered in the first place - because both the original toys and cartoon models had those characters looking like that. But then again, this was during a period of time when the technology they had wasn't advanced enough to make everything look high-quality and realistic. There were times when even the regular Autobot cars or the Stunticons in the cartoon looked really shitty, and they sometimes kind of looked liked the bare minimum of the cars they were supposed to turn into (not quite shrunken down like the Minibots, but I think you guys get what I mean).

Now, coming forward to the present, most of the Minibots have gotten MP figures unofficially via 3rd Party companies, and I actually liked that they made the alt-modes realistic, like MP-21. Again, I don't know if that completely makes sense for the Minibots, but I sure as hell like it.

With that being said, I'm gonna repeat what me and several others have said; I am afraid to think about what any future MP figures for the Minibots could look like. At this point, I'm mostly afraid for Cliffjumper and Hubcap.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

I agree, no it's not.
    That's not why. They are intentionally suppose to have that chibi penny racer look because they're kid friendly and the "Mini-bots" were suppose to be 'Ewoks" of the TF franchise. They're suppose to lok like toys while everyone else was suppose to be "full sized" vehicles.

That still doesn't mean they should be when made into 3d figures, it was a joke for the animation.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 11:54 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Singlehandedly keeping Toyhax in business

News Credits:
    I think TT said they want to do the other Minibots, and I'm thinking this is a way to kick that off. But I don't think Cliffy J will look good as an MP with those proportions, and Gears or Brawn would be total garbo if they went that route.

I'm fine with Sunbow accuracy IN ROBOT FORM. I liked what they did with the licensed alt modes thus far, and I want that to continue. Hound looks to be an actual Jeep. But did they need VW's approval for the new BB? I do know ever since the ramp-up to the BB movie, they've been pushing licensed Bumblebee as VW toys hard.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

There's a problem with giving Minibots realistic alt modes. At least two problems - Warpath and Powerglide. Their realistic alt modes would be quite large... Sheridan might be rather tiny for a tank but it's large compared to a civilian car.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Singlehandedly keeping Toyhax in business

News Credits:
    A-10s are effin' huge planes. Their main gun alone would dwarf Bumblebee:
    579a528d88e4a7d9068bb703-750-479.jpg

So yeah, I get the idea here. But scale in Transformers is fucked regardless, even within the MP line.

• Like Like x 2