Takara Soundwave VS Fans Toys Acoustic Wave

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Teletran-1, Sep 11, 2019.

?

Which will be the definitive Soundwave?

1. Fans Toys Acoustic Wave

32.8%
  2. Takara Soundwave

50.8%
  3. Can’t Decide

16.4%
  1. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I’m probably the only MP collector without any version of Soundwave but with Takara reissuing theirs in a couple months and Fans Toys seemingly 2020 sometime, which do you think will be the definitive choice?

I like the cartoon accurate look and my collection’s going that way. Fans toys looks to be going more cartoon accurate but it also looks like it could go a bit too simplified, I do like some of the details and toy colouring on TT’s.

Fans toys will likely have the better paint job, more die cast and cassettes than just laserbeak. Both their Rumble and Frenzies seem pretty much the same. FT’s Laserbeak seems to have more articulation but their Ravage looks really hollow and empty from behind.

I feel like it’s FT’s to lose since any mold that old can probably be improved on with modern engineering, but what do you guys think, does old Soundwave hold up? Does anyone know the sizing on FT’s Acoustic Wave?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    MMC for the Ravage and Frumble twins cassettes

• Like Like x 7
  3. emporio80

emporio80 Well-Known Member

for me, i will keep the takara one, i dont feel the need to change it

• Like Like x 3
  4. Turnman

Turnman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Weird that Takara haven't done a + version with MP Soundwave instead... One last reissue before a new mold?

• Like Like x 2
  5. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yep.

6. Teletran-1

Yeah I was thinking about that and it feels like if they did a lighter blue TV accurate version I don’t know if it would look that great. I have the re-issue pre-ordered but still debating it.

7. Teletran-1

Ah damn, that’s a third possible option then, this is getting complicated

8. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FansToys for the win for me. I'm all about thar toony goodness. And I say that as someone who has two MP-13s (one for each mode).
    It was great at the time but the style has moved on and FT are nailing the toon look.

Takara may or may not redo Soundwave - its honestly a complete crapshoot what they do going forward. They may start dropping MP Victory figures... or spinning off into some other Japanese continuity. All G1 is no longer a certainty from them.

But I've already locked in a pre-order for FansToys, who will be my Bot mode figure. I'll keep one MP-13 for alt mode and give the other to my daughter who loves Soundwave.

• Like Like x 3
  9. cultofkraken

cultofkraken Cybertronian Metalhead

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I still feel that Soundwave is the best MP to date. No real need for me to switch him out, ever.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Teletran-1

Yeah it seems pretty possible Fans Toys will have a better bot mode (or at least articulation) but Soundwave seems much less dated than stuff like MP11. Probably cause he only needs to transform into a rectangle so it’s not too so engineering intensive

11. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't say definitive, maybe we'll have more and better options down the line, but for now, Accoustic Wave looks way better than the official one.

Funny to see this thread poping up the day I sold my MP Soundwave, Soundblaster and all my Cassettes in anticipation.

12. J Rock

J Rock Well-Known Member

I just picked up an MP soundwave recently and yeah its quite dated.. I mean its growing on me but it does look a little out of place next to MP 36 and some newer decepticons.

The foot articulation is poor and the exposed hip joint looks cheap. I dunno if the SoundBlaster issue aged better...

The FT digibash just isnt doing it for me, maybe its just a poor digibash but that astro train blew me away..this just isnt.

Also the tapes are kindve irrelevent since neither tops MMC

13. HanDy

HanDy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Takara + Mmc tapes all day.. once the Ft gets released we can speak more properly but for now thats it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Junkmech

Junkmech Mouthplate Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've been holding out for the "perfect" Soundwave because of my stupidly massive love of the character, and I think FT is pretty close to my ideal. I'd buy the Takara but the price it goes for is just too much to justify for engineering that old.

15. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i love mp soundwave it's always been a big favourite in my collection but i'm probably willing to replace it with fanstoys soundwave in my display it just looks too good not too but i won't be selling my takara soundwave i don't think i could ever get rid of it , i have already replaced frenzy rumble and ravage with mmc's

16. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I suspect FT's Soundwave will be like their Hoodlum: better than the Takara, but not so much better that I feel like opening my wallet to replace what I already have.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    MP Soundwave. If and when takara gets to a v2.0, I may look again. As it is Megatron is the latest decepticon MP and so the aesthetic going forward will anchor around him...which means we'll likely get a version 3 seeker before anything since takara is allergic to triple changers and combiners. That being the case, I'll wait for that to happen before worrying about Soundwave.

In the interim there's plenty of MP Decepticons to pick up from FT and other companies before we start rehashing the extremely limited number of official MP decepticon releases out there.

18. Teletran-1

Yeah the FT Digibash is putting me off too, I think I need to see the real colours for FT before I can make a choice. Soundwave does seem old and popular enough for Takara to update him though. FT’s could still be a long way away so I’ll go with the official for now

19. MaxPower

MaxPower Well-Known Member

Fanstoys has not come out yet
    So it’s impossible to say which is best.

The obvious opinion would be that Fanstoys will be a better quality product. But we simply don’t know that.

I would say it also depends on your tastes and your budget and want for the tapes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    If I didn't already own MP Soundwave I'd get the FT release, but I'm honestly fine with Takara's. Their Blaster on the other hand.... definitely getting that. KFC's is good, but it doesn't quite make the cut.

• Like Like x 1