Takara MP-08 Masterpiece Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Zherbus, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Mine just shipped yesterday priority, I guess their shipment got held up in customs. Don't worry they are great guys and very reliable it will ship.

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed the diaclone driver door? it's right where the feet touch in dino, and where his tailbone is in robot. Flips down. i can't see anyother reason for it to be there, and it's not in the instructions. pretty neat addition though.

randy!

##nevermind, i just needed to go one more page.....

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Got mine this morning! Woot! :D 

I bought mine as part of the Cybertron.ca group buy. A great price... so even though he's still expensive, I certainly can't complain too loudly about the cost.

What can I say... I LOVE him! But I will make these small complaints...
    • he is a bit loose in the tail and neck due to the "head shaking" gimmick. But no big deal.
    • his head doesn't lock down very well on his back in robot mode. Easily fixed though.
    • in robot mode, his chest doesn't lock in place really well. If you hung him upside down, it would flop open I think. Still... not a big deal.
    • he REALLY doesn't have much metal in him at all. I don't think this really hurts the figure, as he's still really solidly constructed... but part of me still wishes he weighed a bit more, just for the pure tactile appeal.
    • I have to confess, I don't think the gimmicks bring a lot to the figure. It's nice to have them, but I could live without just as easily. The light-up weapons somehow manage to be less exciting than they are on, say, Laser Optimus.

Now honestly, those are quite petty issues... overall it's a GREAT Transformer and I have no regrets! If anyone is uncertain about this figure due to the price, I can understand that... but it IS a wonderful figure, no question. If Hasbro releases a version of this for less than $100... BUY IT! :) 

I love the size... sure he doesn't match MP Megs and OP, but I think I prefer him at this scale... he looks awesome with Alternators and MP Starscream. The proportions in both modes are exquisite... this is absolutely the most successful MP figure in terms of capturing the essence of the original character with no compromises!

Also the simple transformation works fine for me. I transformed him for the first time in about 5 minutes without the instructions, and it was great. I know this is a figure I won't hesitate to transform whenever I feel like it... it's no hassle, and doesn't take any time to do. It doesn't feel like a tedious, fussy chore. It's fun, which is really what it should be.

I have one... ONE legitimate complaint. I don't like his shoulder articulation. The ball joint is quite strong and solid, but it means he can't raise his arms up and out to the sides in a 'T' shaped pose. It just feels oddly limiting, and really cuts down on the dynamic sword-wielding poses. I would have really appreciated it if they'd lost one or two gimmicks and instead made that shoulder articulation work a bit better.

Anyway, I'm gonna go play with Grimlock some more. Peace out folks! :) 

BUY HIM!!!

zmog

4. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    got my Grimlock today and he is awesome!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. col

col Artobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Could anyone post a photo of Grimlock in robot mode next to Universe Onslaught? Thanks!

6. SMOG

Ask and ye shall receive...

You're not so big...!
    [​IMG]

How you like me, Grimlock now!?
    [​IMG]

Bring it on!!
    [​IMG]

Me Grimlock VERY STURDY!!
    [​IMG]

Who big now, stupid tank? Who big NOW!!?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stomp!
    [​IMG]

STOMP!!
    [​IMG]

STOMP!!!
    [​IMG]

Who next!?
    [​IMG]

zmog

7. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    SMOG, I want you to come over and pose all of my figures. Thanks for the shots!

8. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep Onslaught deserves to get a can of whoopass from MP Grimmy :p . lol Btw nice pixs SMOG!

9. SMOG

Thanks guys! That was a fun photoshoot. :) 

Heh... it's kind of funny, but I didn't notice till looking at those pics again just now that Grimlock is totally crotch-stomping Onslaught into oblivion. No little Combaticons in HIS future! :D 

zmog

10. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    God I got my today sadly it was while I was on my lunch break so I haven't had too much time with him yet but OMG besides the lack of size and diecast I absolutely LOVE this guy, I seriously may by a second one to keep on my desk at work

11. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

they are almost the same size, both are well engineered, and both have working electronics. I guess those metal claws on Grimlock must have been really expensive for Takara :wink: 

12. SMOG

If you're referring to Onslaught, I should point out that Grimlock is actually quite a bit larger and more impressive. It's like comparing an Ultra to a Leader Class at the very least. Grimlock pretty much towers over everything on my shelf, except for Tidal Wave, Cybertron Metroplex, Energon Omega, and MP Prime and Megs (admittedly all less expensive figures). He's also quite a bit heavier.

However, even if you look at him as being a particularly meaty "leader class" figure, that would make him half what the Japanese street price is. He is costly, to be sure... though not surprising for a figure of this size that is not mass-market.

I won't lie to you... I really don't think that most of MP Grimmy's gimmicks add all that much to the figure. If they had cut back on the engineering costs for those little perks, I'm sure they could have offered a nonetheless awesome figure for a better price. However, comparing him to the price range of other specialty market robot toys... SOC, and the like, Grimlock is a worthy toy. I'd rather have him than 6 Revoltechs any day! :) 

And if Hasbro does indeed offer their version at under $100, I would say it'll be even more worthwhile.

zmog

13. col

col Artobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude, SMOG, you went above and beyond with those photos! Thanks a lot for doing that! Grimlock WILL be mine someday!

Where'd you get the gun that Onslaught is holding, by the way?

14. SMOG

Well, I was just going to take a couple of straight comparison pics, but once I had them there and the camera out, I figured "Heh... why not?" :) 

The gun is actually a slightly modified cannon from either G1 Streetwise or First Aid (I forget which). They both have double-barreled blasters that are supposed to mount on their vehicle modes. Onslaught is holding it because I've been planning to repaint him into a "vehicle" version of Grimlock for ages now. Apparently MP Grimlock didn't take kindly to the impersonation. ;) 

zmog

15. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

HAHA! Great Pics SMOG.... damn, I can't wait 'till I get mine from TFSource... seeing as I pre-ordered mine pretty late, I don't expect to be getting it too soon though. *sad*

16. KYQ

KYQ Well-Known Member

Finally got the big guy myself and while I do like him, he is rather hard to justify the online cost for. If you can get him locally for a reasonable price, he is fairly worth it though.

Just a goofy shot to contribute -

[​IMG]

17. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    got mine yesterday. beautiful figure...not plagued with 7,400 parts that fly off during transformation...relatively simple transformation...a nice, accessible, fun, beautiful piece. The only issue I have with it is that the apron ripped during the one time I used it. Oh well.

18. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

Hehe... nice pic.

Looks like I spoke too soon yesterday about not expecting mine anytime soon, got my email this morning that it shipped out yesterday, and it looks like it'll be here thursday! Wooo!

Here's a tip for those waiting to get theirs still, give up all hope of getting it anytime soon and it will ship quickly! :p 

19. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    This may be sacrilege, but this is, IMO, the BEST Masterpiece mold ever. It feels very solid, very poseable, and extremely detailed and toon accurate. Plus the accessories are pretty cool.

20. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't worry bro it's not sacrilege to me. I agree with you 100%!! it's the one MP that I had the most fun with since getting it. :D