Takara LG-34 Mindwipe

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by knoted, Dec 6, 2016.

1. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Nice Box

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The comic and tech specs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robot mode

[​IMG]

Bat mode

[​IMG]

With his (pimped) G1 self

[​IMG]

My thoughts on this Takara TR Mindwipe:

Overal I am very very pleased. Initially I was worried the brownish red faux wings would be too red. However, in person it really is a brownish red like the G1 wings.

The paint apps are well placed :
    - the bicep parts are molded black plastic, but painted purple at the robotmode front.
    - the black knee pads do a great job at making his short thigh legs look longer than they are. Smart.
    - the belly/coffin door in batmode is red translucent plastic, painted black partially to blend in better with his bat torso.
    Plus :
    - the facesculp is marvelous, very angular like it was drawn in the Headmasters cartoon.
    - the Titan Master beast is a nice extra since I didn't have the mini-rex yet.

Overal, recommended !

• Like Like x 6
  2. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    anticipation is high. wont be too long before i get him and Triggerhappy in my paws :) 
    I'm always surprised at his high strength and courage ratings and his low intelligence rating.
    Still havent seen the headmasters but in the Rebirth he seemed more like an independently thinking character to me.

3. knoted

News Credits:
    Well.... his strength, I can kind of buy that...going by his bulky G1 toy.

Regarding his mediocre intelligence..... Mindwipe himself is pretty much just a self proclaimed shaman, but it's his headmaster Vorath who's got the brainpower
    since he's an actual scientist.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

Out of curiosity, how's the rubber on the wings (and better yet, how does the rubber compare to the Hasbro version)? And thanks for posting a pic of his manga! I've been looking for that!

5. knoted

News Credits:
    Sorry, I do not have the Hasbro version so I can't compare it. This is my first time with this mold.
    Anyway, the actual bat wing tips feel good. It feels slightly rubbery, but sturdy at the same time. They tab in really well when forming the robotmode legs. The outer point of these tips also acts as heelspurs.....if they had been hardplastic, I can imagine those might become prone to breakage.

The brownish-red faux wings feel quite a bit more pliable, since they are not as thick. If they would have been ABS plastic that thin, it would have been a lot more vulnerable to break. For both these rubbery plastics, I feel they are good engineering choices, certainly not prone to brittleness like 80's rubber toy wheel tires. But yeah... might be the same stuff as on the Hasbro version, albeit different color/paint.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

Thank you. At least it's good to know that the wings won't end up like rubber tires (which was the entire reason I asked this question since I was scared about the rubber on both versions).

7. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Happy to hear the wingtips tab in well in botmode. That is kind of requisit for this transformation so its good to note they made sure it works like it should.

8. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    The rubber is about the same Takara version is maybe a tiny bit more firm. The wing tabs do tab in better in the legs. I got my Mindwipe from BBTS, and I have to contact them because the pilot door has a HUGE glop of paint on it.

The MAJOR difference between these two is that the Hasbro version just can't stand in robot mode. His ankles are so weak that he will fall over at the slightest breeze. The Takara version stands like a champ.

IMG_5575.JPG

IMG_5576.JPG

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  9. knoted

News Credits:
    Thanks for the comparison pics Chuckcjc!

So many subtle differences.....
    I see the purple chest is different too apart from the Decepticon insignia, the sides are left black, in reference to the G1 toy - whereas the Hasbro version just painted it over purple. Takara also painted the shoulder joint screws, whereas Hasbrow's unpainted screws kind of stick out.

Sorry to see you got that messed up black paint on his bat mode pilot door.

10. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

Thank you for the information. Yea, I think I'm gonna stick to my Hasbro version.

11. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I love the Takara version of the figure. Mine only has a slight over-spray of paint on the bat head. Otherwise it's fantastic.

Just pop the foot off the hasbro version, and apply a thin layer or clear nail polish. It helps strengthen up the feet.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

Thank you, but he already stands fine. Guess I just got lucky (unlike most times).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    Received mine today and was initially very underwhelmed.

I'm still not a fan of rubberish parts on transformers and there's too much of it here for my comfort. Yeah, it looks great, but in a year or two am I going to pick this up and have those parts crumble? But anyway....

A good transformer is one that gives you display options. And although the alt mode here seems to be a bit lacking at first glance, when you play with the articulation you definitely find some sweet spots. I recommend un-pegging the wings and feet and play with the range. There's some better looking bat modes here if you decide for the full wingspan.

What I currently prefer is a smaller wingspan. What I've done is go to the default transformation with the wings pegged to the chest sides and sliding into the feet slots like normal. Only I've collapsed the first part of the each wing so that it's against the robot knee. Yes, it lessens the wing span quite a bit but it creates a more boxy G1-inspired alt mode where the wings then have a concave form next to the body that helps makes those robot thighs look more like the wing support structure their supposed to be.

Enjoying the figure quite a bit more now.

"Blind as a bat in battle, you are....."

14. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    In japan the head is the main robot. The body is just a extension of the headmaster.

15. knoted

News Credits:
    True, but I was going by the Marvel UK story.

16. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Legends Servant

For those keeping track this is Overall Use number 4 of the Titanmaster accessory and Japanese use number 2. His placing with Mindwipe is somewhat controversial since it is the second time Crashbash has been used as a pack in but the pack ins with original Headmasters seem to be limited to the first two waves of toys. That means there's six unique toys to be shared amongst 7 Headmasters and since there's only two Beast accessories and Takara are looking to match the accessories to the deluxes as vehicle to vehicle and beast to beast, then the choice is a little limited!

The colours chosen here are great: a metallic dark grey for Crashbash's purple and a dark burgundy red for Crashbash's grey resulting in a colour scheme on the dinosaur very VERY similar to the Tomy Zoids Iguan. It's a shame he has no matching Titanmaster to complete the look, the arms on Wipe's Vorath are purple and stick out a bit in Dinosaur mode.

Servant was packed with Legends LG-34 Wipe and released at the end of November 2016.

17. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Would have been so much better if Swoops partner came with Mindwipe.

18. ThrustJan

ThrustJan Well-Known Member

Finally I received my Takara few days ago ,and I prefer him to Hasbro version I already own.
    Mindwipe is one of my fav characters so since beginning I planned to buy both .
    Legs have a purple uniform colour that gives him a more dark mystic "wannabe" character as his old US bio suggests and face reminds Headmaster anime,good choice, besides is well sculpted and suits well to the character.
    My Hasbro hasn't very loose joints,yes he can stand but Takara has them and legs a lot stronger

In my version the wings of LG34 bot mode and bat have a red that I like,and the plastic also on the little ones seem very rather sturdy although pliable.

There is just a little flaw in my bot I've noticed the following day,one of little wings in bot mode tends to stay a little curved ,the other one is perfect...has someone else encountered same problem?
    At the end,I'll keep in that way because I'm afraid to break wing if I try something and after all remains a very good bot ,and moving both wings on lateral sides improves him and solves the thing...I just wanted to know if someone else encountered same problem.

19. knoted

News Credits:
    Yeah, one of the faux wings is a little bent due to the packaging bubble probably.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I have to chime in and say that I got this figure along with Legends Chromedome. (thanks to @Robogeek28)

I wanted both but Chromedome was the main one that I wanted.

But, I was super-impressed with this figure. Even moreso than Chromedome. Pictures do not do it justice.

The paint Deco especially in bat mode is amazing. Particularly the head in bat mode. The dark brown on the head along with the Super bright red inside the mouth and on the eyes is both beautiful and menacing.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Hasbro Titans Return Mindwipe. But the Legends version is clearly superior in both modes. I even like the Legends Bot mode headsculpt more than the Hasbro version. (the Hasbro version is great too). The paint on the Titan Master Vorath's face on the Legends version makes all the difference and looks fantastic.

If you haven't picked up Legends Mindwipe yet, DEFINITELY do it. Highly recommended.