Takara Generations Selects God Neptune

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by chchchch, May 12, 2020.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    None as far as I know. I'll admit, I had completely missed the post Legendworld comics until Super Megatrons and have been slowly working my way backwards on what I've missed to get context and information, so my knowledge isn't complete yet on the story.

Slight amendment, those panels were a flashback, that's how they survived BWII it would seem.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

TFs are GoBots now? That part in Zone hasn't been cleared. Are organic brains the result of getting " refomatted" by near omnicient beings?

3. Jmaster99

Jmaster99 Well-Known Member

Hmm... Now I have a beyond crazy thought, but given the story I may be on the nose, what if White Gallant Convoy is the sixth member just given a new body.... what if?

4. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    That "all-white Prime combiner" many fans liked to build finally getting a name is cool, and the fact it uses Battle Core Prime, Rook, and Alpha Bravo is an interesting nod to how those three never actually came out in Japan (the helicopter mold got plenty of use, but Rook was repainted as Roller for Grand Galvatron and BC Prime just never showed up)

So what you're saying is my assumption we would see a Lobclaw/Nautilator repaint wasn't insane after all, eh?

Takara Selects have thus far been retools/repaints of existing figures...skewing towards Prime Wars. (PotP Optimus, TR Galvatron, the PotP Terrorcons, etc...) And looking through that...do we really have anyone that fits with the original five BWII Maximals?

You could argue a Legends Lioconvoy re-issue is a starting point. But where are you going to find a buffalo, a baboon, etc?

What if it's something like a reissue of Legends Convobat and Lioconvoy, with the long anticipated Apeface/Snapdragon repaints as TM Primal/Megatron? That brings you to four, and you throw in the Skullsmasher as BW Megatron? So now you've got two generations of BW, plus the BWII leader.

The other possibility is a rival combiner, but unless we're going to extensively retool some more guys I'm not sure who it'd be considering all we've got is Volcanicus and Abominus to work from. (Unless they're going balls to the wall and doing BW Magnaboss from Predaking)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  5. Pravus Prime

News Credits:
    No, it's still extremely unlikely. They introduced him, then took him away/killed him off to provide additional character motivation to Halfshell in the story and to explain how the Seacons are alive after BWII.

That's an even smaller role then Bludgeon has played so far in the story.

Also, you had said that you had no doubt that the entire point of the Seacons stealing the Matrix Buster, that the reason the Matrix Buster was colored like the Matrix Buster was because it was going to become Nautilator. That clearly didn't happen.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jmaster99

Where is Alpha Bravo on this combiner? I see Rook, Prowl, Streetwise, and Groove. Where is Alpha Bravo?

Never mind. I see the individual. I was looking at the combined mode

7. Jmaster99

But that is the point of selects... maybe Hasbro will make it instead

8. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    Dude. They named him, had the people who saved the others take the body away, and are now referenced in this manner:
    This is classic Chekhov's Gun territory (literally in this case). The stage is set for a regretful God Neptune to seek out revenge/redemption, confront the people who took his crewmate, and (in all likelihood) be confronted with the fact he's not only alive...but also in a new body. That would give him a chance to redeem himself, stop the shadow guys (also revealing them to be new figures themselves...let's assume either the Quintessons or Vok for now) and reunite with "Lovehammer."

On top of that, we have "Primus" summoning a team of Beast Warriors...so there's an angle where they could turn the tide one way or another and the now re-united Sea Pirates are able to take that new challenge on. Or, going the other direction, if the now 6-member Sea Pirate team is too much for whoever their facing...we get the introduction of a 6-member counter team (something like Dinoking, Monstructor or Liokaiser)

Yup. And looking back at the comics that came along with the Selects Seacons, Halfshell and his team were also in their "G1" bodies and I believe in at least one issue Halfshell was specifically talking about how envious he was of the Seacons new forms.

It would also stand to reason that if the people who revived the Sea Pirates gave them their new bodies, they'd do the same for Lovehammer (which is what I'm calling him until likely even after his "real" name is given.)

Why would Hasbro repaint a Takara exclusive mold in to an original character from a Japanese manga about a team of Japanese exclusive characters?

The Seacon molds are Takara's children. When Lovehammer comes, it'll be through them.

• Like Like x 2
  9. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    I fully acknowledge that "Lovehammer" could just as easily be "Lobhammer" (play off of Lobclaw) but I don't care because "Lovehammer" is his name forever.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Pravus Prime

News Credits:
    Sure, I can put it next to Soundwave (TR Mindwipe with Nightbeat Head), Bludgeon (TR Hardhead with Breakaway head) that have had 5 years or so to be made, to Energon Omega Sentinel (TR Astrotrain with Ptero Head), and all the other characters featured in their comics that were based on existing toys that just needed a redeco and a box.

Look, you want to have hope, have hope.

Perhaps 5 years back, I'd be wondering too. But between their history of aborting subplots and then doing a quick revisit/retcon later in their own comics, the sheer number of toy redeco characters who never got toys, and that Transformers isn't a healthy brand anymore for them to take questionable risks on non-legacy characters, I just don't see it happening. But hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I hope everyone who wants him, gets him.

They'd spent the better part of a year setting up a rematch between Go Prime and Grand Scourge and it never happened. Trickdiamond had a secret agenda that she was even using Unicron's re-emergence as a means to an end and it just ended. Bludgeon was the first one to bring up the current plot device about the seven colors and that it was heralding the start of a new era, the entire plot that's going on now, but he hasn't seen or done a thing after that and I wouldn't be all that surprised if we don't see him again. I think the extent of "Love Hammer" was to explain how the BWII Seacons weren't dead and that's been done.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Dang it, that Super White Prime combiner looked kickass. Gone way too soon...:( 

Megatron Omega Perfect Body? Eh, I was calling him Hyper Megatron in my mind. I wonder if the upcoming Super Megatron will be able to pull that off...

I'm guessing these "Beast Warriors" will be the next new Selects guys? (Still impatiently waiting for Armada Optimus...)

• Like Like x 3
  12. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    Except this guy is based on a mold with exactly one use. The stuff you're referring to above were all molds that got plenty of mileage between Takara and Hasbro. The heads, the bodies, all of them. With this, it's a repaint of a figure they've already got in hand at a time when they're already switching over the factory to churn out God Neptune colored Seacons. Heck, they didn't even bother to block out the extra hands that you wouldn't need in a boxed set.

With Lovehammer, he's literally just the Lobclaw molds run through the current colors they're already working on...thrown in the same plastic tray they've already got for Lobclaw, and you replace "Lobclaw" on the box with "Lovehammer." It'd be such a simple turn over compared to even the repainting/re-heading a bunch of TR figures. Because who knows how those molds are set up in that regard. It's far safer compared to any of the stuff you listed above, and even if they don't make as many as they do God Neptune, they can fill a slot in the release calendar if things are slowed up getting whoever these five Beast Warriors are (because that seems to be who's next.)

And while he's not a "legacy character" he's also not nobody. He has strong ties to a legacy character and has a natural fit on shelves for anyone interested.

• Like Like x 1
  13. analogue

analogue 01110111 01100101 01100010 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm hoping for Dinoking (preferably) or Monstructor - but also not holding my breath as I think they had said that after the Seacons, they may be done with COmbiners for awhile.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Pravus Prime

News Credits:
    No doubt.

They don't tend to do anything like that that the toys can't do, from what we've seen from pictures it's pretty much clear that it can. One of the promo pictures was most of the way there:

IMG_20200420_065929.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  15. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    With the work Takara put in to making Piranacon, I can't imagine them doing Dinoking or Monstructor with only five guys. It'd be quite the deviation from the source...which their combiners (since UW) were always as close to source as possible.

Also, where did Takara say they'd be done with combiners after the Seacons?

• Like Like x 1
  16. analogue

News Credits:
    I don’t recall exactly, but I’ve seen the quote mentioned more than a few times on the boards here. Also, I didn’t say they would only be five, was just speculative wishing.

Edit:
    it probably originated from here: Tokyo Toy Show 2019 - TakaraTomy Presentation Info - King Poseidon, G-Shock Nemesis Prime, Masterpiece

• Like Like x 2
  17. Gastrotrain

Gastrotrain Well-Known Member

Feels like Monstructor is coming. The way they hinted them seems in line with how they've hinted other Selects figures. I know there was speculation that Takara was done with combiners after King Poseidon, but something must have changed. Maybe the selects/Hasbro pulse affiliation made it more viable

• Like Like x 2
  18. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    Oh okay. I get that. It's interesting to think which five warriors it could be since Takara would likely be more interested in BWII right now.

Especially since Hasbro wouldn't, which would make it harder for those characters to fit in the unified model compared to the original BW stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  19. analogue

News Credits:
    For Dinoking, I could see them remolding an Ankylosaurus out of Snarl or Slag - sorry, Slug - and giving the members a weapon mode maybe. An Ankylosaur tail club as a weapon might look pretty cool. But that wouldn't be a very accurate take, which may be a deal-breaker. If they want to keep it accurate, they would need to engineer a two-bot torso, which if they did, could be reused for a more proper Liokasier and again for Monstructor. Again, all just speculative on my part.

If they want to keep it BWII, who knows? All I know is I am getting two God Neptunes (to bring it back on topic).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not so sure. One Icepick does not a Monstructor make. And the final panel shows five pairs of eyes. If it was teasing Monstructor, wouldn't there be six pairs?

• Like Like x 1