T-Mobile knowingly added bogus charges to bills - You've been scammed!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MetalicGrunt, Jul 1, 2014.

1. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    If T-mobile is your service provider, You have been scammed by T-Mobile

The Federal Trade Commission accused wireless carrier T-Mobile of adding bogus charges totaling "hundreds of millions of dollars" on customers' accounts without their consent.

At least as far back as 2009 until at least December 2013, the carrier placed unauthorized charges for third-party services on customers' mobile phone bills, a practice called "cramming," the agency alleges in a suit filed today in U.S. District Court. The FTC says T-Mobile also made it difficult for its customers to detect the charges.

The FTC's case against T-Mobile would likely be the largest "cramming" case brought by federal authorities. This is the first "cramming" action that the FTC has brought against a phone provider, but the agency has previously taken action against 30 companies for the practice, said Jessica Rich, the FTC's director of consumer protection.

FTC: T-Mobile knowingly added bogus charges to bills

Regulators accuse T-Mobile of bogus billing - FOX 32 News Chicago

2. smkspy

smkspy The old timers here get it

3. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Hypocrisy in corporate America? No way.....

4. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Apparently someone forgot to pay off their senator this month.

5. Crockett

Crockett natural bodybuilder

I worked for them when they were still Voicestream back in like 2000. Lots of calls were people who had "mysterious" charges show up on their accounts. I believe we were told to them "Computer error." But computers don't make errors. They follow exact instructions and are incapable of ever deviating from those instructions, heh.

6. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Reminds me of Verizon claiming I'd downloaded 200 pics several years ago, before I kindly pointed out that my phone lacked the necessary application to download them in the first place. Oops.

7. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    That reminds me of a time when I did actually work for T-Mobile. A mother called in wondering why her bill was so high. I looked over the first couple of pages. No overages. Didn't use all of her minutes. Neither did the other lines. So I continued to review when I saw MMS charges. So I pointed it out to her. I showed her the IMEI of the device used to download pictures. And the IMEI was tied to her son's phone number. She said that her son does not have the phone that the IMEI would indicate that was being used.

Ok. So I asked her if his friends had that kind of phone. She didn't know. I explained that it was real easy to just swap out SIM cards. She was hesitant to believe that.......until.....she saw her son walking in the door with that exact phone in his hand that the system showed was downloading the pictures. Her last words before hanging up were, "I'm going to have to call you back. Someone's about to die."

:D 

8. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    So happy I'm with AT&T. :) 

9. smkspy

Patty Hearst, I didn't know you posted here!

10. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Hate to tell you this, but all companies scam their way up to the top. Yes, even ATT.

11. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I have a feeling you had that conversation numerous times over your T-mobile career lol

For that incident with Verizon, I did wonder if somebody else had gotten hold of my phone (razr phones were popular), but there was no record of their app (forgot what it was called- allowed internet access) ever being downloaded so I assumed they were bullshitting.

12. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

True story, when I got my iPhone connected to AT&T about three weeks ago, they quoted me $65 for unltd talk & text and 2gbs of data. I got my first phone bill in yesterday and it came out to $76.80 and I've only used 30 mbs of data. Turns out cellular providers can be some shady motherfuckers.
    I think Tracfone is about the only cell provider that won't add shit to your bill, but then you don't have a bill with those clowns because their shit is prepaid.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  13. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Actually, I had many an interesting stories from working at that place. Including one call where dude actually talked like the guy from Waterboy. I couldn't understand a damned thing he was saying. I made out one word "bill" so I kept asking if he wanted to go over his bill. He said, "Yeah" followed by a slew of words I could not fucking understand. This went on for about 5 minutes with me apologizing that I could not understand what he was saying. Finally, he got fed up and said, "This motherfucker..." and hung up as I said, "Sir! I understood that!" :D  My supervisor happened to be live monitoring that call. As I ended the call, I noticed he was giving me a look. So I looked over and he was hardly containing himself as he was laughing his ass off.

But my "career" at T-Mobile (if it can even be called that) was short lived. I quit that place after seeing some serious bullshit going on. Of course....I can't really talk about it......at least not out in the open :D  One thing I can tell you is.....to be wary of their "refurbished" phone program....if they still have it, and if they're still doing it like I last saw it.

14. smkspy

Sounds like they quoted you $65 before all the various state and federal taxes are applied, which they generally do in these cases. Nothing really shady about, it's kinda up to you to realize taxes will be applied to the bill.

15. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    :lol 

16. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

It's my first real phone bill, Before this I was using prepaid crap. I thought what the guy quoted me was what I was gonna pay. Those prepaid things didn't have taxes and shit.

17. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

Verizon plays games, as well. Even if you don't have a data plan for a phone, it still is able to use data.

A couple of years ago, my son was using his phone to browse the internet, even though I never added data plan for his phone. I noticed he had gone through over 2GB. My bill would've been like $4000 based on data fees ($2/megabyte).

When I called to complain, the girl said data is turned on by default. Luckily, the billing cycle wasn't over yet, and I was able to quickly add a data plan to his phone, so I and only pay the $29.99.

18. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Oh they do. The phone I use is prepaid cards, you totally pay taxes on that.

19. Liselotte

Liselotte Revenge is coming... TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  20. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Gee a company denying charges that makes them looks like assholes. Shocking.