SWTF Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker quadchanger

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by megatroptimus, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Conceptually, this is a great idea. From the looks of it, the execution, not so great. It's probably too ambitious, an Anakin that turns into Darth Vader is cool and a Republic Cruiser that turns into a Star Destroyer is cool, but turning either of those ships into either version of that guy is a kibble-tastic train wreck.

Though yeah, Star Wars transformers are almost all hampered by vehicles that aren't conducive to turning into humanoid robots. At least with the Marvel Crossovers they are able to invent the vehicle modes out of whole cloth.

What the hell is up with the Anakin head though? It may be the worst looking one yet in the entire SW Crossovers line.

...I'll probably pick one up on clearance.

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    A bit of an update: it wasn't clear in the instructions, but you can peg the backpack to the "cape" at a specific angle, making the figure an effective tripod that allows you to firmly plant the figure on its feet. Meaning: it was meant to use the cape for support. Just don't fully extend the legs for the Darth Vader mode, leave them the same length as they are for the Anakin mode. Makes the figure more acceptable now.

3. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    I think...I would buy this. Even with all the glaring issues against it, the fact that you switch him from Anakin to Vader and says stuff about transforming might be worth the purchase.

However, if he is going for $40 to $50, then I have Gunpla MGs to buy instead.

4. ecchua79

ecchua79 New Member

I've just got it a few days ago and I can't stop playing with it!
    I'm not a collector of SWTFs, but only got Han & Chew Millenium Falcon and Death Star. But this thing is great to me, as the size is about a leader tall but the price a little lower!
    Great things I like about it is the huge size for both the alt mode but I found it very annoying to try to get it on balance either for Cruiser or destroyer. And the body seems too thick due to the storage for both of the legs.
    One more great thing I admire from this tf is about the light swooping, which megatroptimus forgot to mention about. The light on his chest is red while in the Vader mode but change instantly into blue light when turning the turso for Anakin mode. And the cruiser mode actually fires up with blue light while the Destroyer mode works with red lights, and their button is in two different way!
    And I like those weapons for this item. It actually has three sabers, two guns, one combine cannon and a huge shield! So there is a lot of possible combinations for the weapons!
    And thanks to the members above, I realised that I haven't transform properly for the Vader's thigh. Will go try it later when I got home.
    For a quad changer like this, I could have no more complains and keep playing with it!

5. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    Welcome to the boards and thanks for the updates. I will almost certainly be getting this guy at some point to complete and finally end my SWTF collection, so it is nice to hear about some of the undocumented features.

Thanks, and welcome!!!

6. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They sprung for a blue LED to put in this? Why the hell won't the main line use them?

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    It seems I can trigger the blue light with firing sound only 1 time out of 30 on that thing in Cruiser mode. Dunno why.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I'm buying this for parts.

9. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

they should've just drop the giant backpack and transformation gimmick and release the foot tall vader by itself, at least it'll be a tolerable fig then.

10. xterry

xterry Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pic Review Darth Verda/Anakin Skywalker

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After this...I only can say: I will only buy it when it come with a free 2gb R2D2...that's it. I will only display it as ship, not in robot mode!!!!

11. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Saw this the other day at TRU. Even with all the negative reviews, I will still get this for three reasons:

1. It's a Star Wars Transformers quad-changer, the first (and maybe only) one of its kind.
    2. They finally made an OT Star Destroyer TF, something I've been pining for since the line debuted. Of course, I would have been happy if they did a Class I version. Or even a Basic one, scale be damned.
    3. It's scaled to work with Class I toys, which are better than most of the basic-level SWTFs.

Short answer: different teams, different budgets, different design and manufacturing processes.

The Star Wars team is also under the directive to get the vehicle mode accurate first, even to the detriment of the robot mode. That's why the vehicles have always looked good and why the mech modes have usually sucked. If they didn't have to match the vehicle forms so closely, they'd have much more flexibility in the design.

The Marvel guys don't have that problem, since any Marvel character could potentially become any kind of vehicle they want (Iron Man has 4 different vehicles in that line alone). Also, being that the robot mode is supposed to be a piloted mech, they don't have to be that accurate with the character design, either. So they can fudge the vehicle design to make the robot mode work better or vice versa.

Basically, the Star Wars team has a much harder road to hoe, which is why I tend to cut them more slack than any of the other Hasbro teams.

12. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    Got this today. The ships are nice, Vader is somewhat cool with the kibble removed, Anakin is a turd.

I like Vader's lights and sounds. Very well done.

13. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

I actually like the head on the Ep2 Starfighter Anakin quite a lot - but this head fails to look anything like Anakin and neither is it a cool head - whom does one ask about making a decent head for this thing?

14. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So. I picked this up at TRU with the $5 off coupon from the movie.

I am more impressed than I thought I would be. The 2 robot modes are pretty good. The transformation from Anakin to Vader is pretty slick. The ship modes look as awesome as they should. Yes, it is a little of a parts former but, I can live with that.

I wish some of the pegs fit snugger than they do but, overall, the quality control is pretty good. No loose joints or sloppy paint apps on this one. The inclusion of a blue LED for Anakin is EPIC WIN.

For the price, I feel it was worth it. This will probably be my Anakin and the Vader Star will still be my Vader. If you go into it knowing you are going to get a "Star Wars" Transformer, than you probably won't be dissapointed.

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea, kibble, look at all that kibble.

they put so much kibble, it feels like the robot mode body parts, is actually the kibble, and the rest is the actual transformer :lol 

this is just so ridiculously horrible, that i depend it be the top of that plastic addicts top 5 list :lol 

and with that said, i will probably buy one after it goes on clearance for five bucks :lol 

kibble, it looks like a robot was attached to a big pile of broken ship parts... :lol 

16. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    I just picked this guy up from TRU for 20% off and I kinda like him. Sure there is a lot of kibble, but the electronics and the alt modes are fun. I do think this will be my last SWTF purchase unless something super awesomely cool comes out. This line has been completely played out.

17. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    Y'know, recently I've been looking at the figure as a figure that transforms from a Star Destroyer to a Republic Cruiser to Darth Vader to Guybrush Threepwood.

Seriously, that head's spot on for Guybrush.

18. TehPaws

TehPaws I have a silly name!

Something of a necropost, but let's just say that at $17 clearance, this is actually a fun, sound-effect loaded toy with decent ship modes. I'd never have bought it at anything above 20, though.

19. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    It's now $17.00 !!!

Crikey the daft thing is £60.00 in the UK. Unfortunately it would cost a fortune to post even if I could get one that cheap so It's probably better to wait until it's £30.00 in the UK and free shipping.

20. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought two when it was on clearance for $20 after Christmas. It's so bad as a partsformer that I ended up returning the other one instead of displaying it in two modes.