2D Artwork: SVG cell art from cartoon

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Jez, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I've long been a fan of vector based art for it's clean lines and scalability and because it lends itself so well to recreating animation cells. I also love drawing using SVG using packages like Inkscape. I've had a few attempts in the past at drawing TF characters using SVG's (I'll post a few below) but decided recently to pick 5 or 6 of my all-time favorite cell's from season 1, the Movie and adverts and attempt to clean them up by recreating as SVG's. The plan is to move house in the next few months and I may pick 1 or 2 of the better ones to paint on the wall in my designated man cave room!

First up is Soundwave firing Megatron from S01 E15 Fire on the Mountain. Looks simple but this probably took me a combined time of about 12 hrs - I'm still learning and will hopefully get faster :lol  Top marks to the original artist. This is a truly awesome pose! Love the random bits of laser fire that spluttered out from Megs main canon

Soundwave_small.png
    and here is the original cell along with separated line art and fill

Soundwave_all.png

Next up... JetFire!

jetfire02.jpg
    I wish Sunbow had the rights to use this version of Jetfire in the original G1 toon, rather than having to redesign to avoid copy-write.​

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Happy with my latest effort and getting the hand of Inkscape now :) 

Jetfire! This character would have been awesome in the Sunbow toons. May do a Skyfire one day for comparison :lol 

jf_small_01.png

or without the background

jf_small_02.png

3. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    The final Skyfire Model we ended up with though? Looks far more imposing to me than the Veritech Fighter's Battroid Mode.

I feel also that the Sunbow version of the Veritech fighter/Battroid Mode is also a huge step down from the Real Deal, especially the way it's drawn here. It looks and feels very Hanna-Barbara Gobots to me. Just giving my own feedback on it.

You did a Phenomenal Job Btw. Recreating it like you did. excellent work.

I too am a massive fan of Vector Tracing the Sunbow stuff.

Go big and Vector Trace some GI Joe stuff and make your own scenes with it including the Sunbow Transformers stuff.

Then people will really be squealing. "HOLY SHIT"! "What Could Have Been"

You also did a really great job on the Soundwave piece. Just Beautiful.

• Like Like x 1