Surprises of 2016

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by IceCreamCyborg, Jan 2, 2017.

1. IceCreamCyborg

IceCreamCyborg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure there are those who like me have been surprised by figures in 2016.

TR Mindwipe surprised me lately. The toy blends a handful of Titan Masters for options (it's the sharing of purple)
    TR Skullsmasher: I was reluctant to buy this but the alligator head tricked me into buying it. I regretted it because of the tail & wanted to return it but I started playing with how he can hold the tail as a shield & thought he was pretty cool.
    Anyone else have surprised?

2. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Surprises of 2016?

I think the biggest one for me was Deluxe Groove.

[​IMG]

I was prepared to hate the figure but couldn't pass him up when I saw him at Walmart for $9.99.

[​IMG]

So, despite my previous misgivings, I now have a GEEWUN Defensor. :) 

TR Triggerhappy was the other surprise. Didn't care about the character, but the figure and especially the alt-mode are AWESOME. :) 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. Brewcrewbot

Brewcrewbot Starfleet...Transform and Engage!

TR Triggerhappy. Really had no intent to pick him up, but once I saw him, I'm really glad I did. Outstanding figure IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    As I had plans to limit my collecting to Decpeticons, I did end up getting some Autobots.
    Hot Rod- absolutely enjoy this figure, and I don't even like the character. Modding the Headmaster gimmick out was pretty easy, too.
    Brainstorm- I love the voyager, but when I got the deluxe I was seriously impressed. The colors are spectacular and it's just an awesome re-mold. I still prefer the voyager, but this one is a great deluxe.

5. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    TR Blurr. Picked him up on a nostalgia whim, fully intending to skip Titans Return as a line. Figure was so good I... haven't skipped the line. (coughs, glances nervously over at pile of TR figures)

6. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Titanmaster class. Just some lovely, inexpensive toys.

7. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce A Chair!

I would say TR Sentinel Prime surprised me.
    I'm a huge fan of the character concept of Sentinel Prime. Older Prime, pre-Optimus, always wished he'd get a bit more of the spotlight (yay!), and I was excited to have a toy of him announced.

I was a bit concerned though. The original pics of the painted prototype were nuclear in terms of brightness, and it was clear he was just a pre-tool for Astrotrain.

The I got him in hand. The sculpt works really well for Sentinel! He manages to still be a pre-tool of Astrotrain while also working as a body for a Prime who happens to not be Optimus. The proportions are very Prime-esque. So much so I considered not getting Astrotrain.
    As far as the colours go...he's still very orange, but it's toned down considerably from those first pics. I would have preferred a colour scheme closer to the comics- more of a muted orange and darker red highlights, but the choices they went with really do work on their own merits. Even if it's not my first choice as far as colour schemes for the character go.

8. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    i haven't paid much attention to mainline figures since AOE.

But Twinferno and Triggerhappy were pleasant surprises, and Wheelie is a semi comeback for the scout class.

9. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    My biggest surprize of 2016 was MP-32. I was simply amazed on how well Opimus Primal turned out. Making a realistic looking animal mode is hard enough, but the gorilla mode is pretty good. Big bot mode is where he really shines tho. Great intergration of the weapons, fantastic paint apps, several expressive faces. This was a figure Takara could have really screwed the pooch with, but they knocked it out of the park. I was so worried it was gonna be just kinda average like some of the MP's that have come out before it.
    Another thing that surprized me: Titan's Return. I enjoyed the hell out of CW(excessive mould reuse and all). But I think TR really stepped it up a notch. The simple but cool transformations are very well done. Don't have wave 3 deluxes in hand yet( should have them by end of week) so I cant comment on them yet. The original 7 headmasters updated into the titanmaster deluxes are the highlight of the line so far to me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Takara LG-35 Super Ginrai.

I had no intention of getting this, I already had Hasbro PMOP - quite content with that and I still am.
    Based upon seeing Super Ginrai's initial photo's I didn't like the feet and the other changes didn't seem sufficient to convince me.

But oh boy, once more in-hand pics started to appear, I knew I had to get this and I pre-ordered at the very last minute on December 27th.

Although I do still feel the feet to be a bit too gappy, I do really love the overal look. Hasbro PMOP is a very good modern interpretation of the original Powermaster Optimus Prime, but this Super Ginrai is the next level.
    And last but certainly not least, those COLORS !

Vibrant deep red plastic IS the way to go - For any design which intends it to look red. This Super Ginrai proves this point incredibly well.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  11. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Titans Returns in general. I hated Combiner Wars. I was so very ready to dislike Titans Returns. But the heavy attention to G1 form and detail, and how well the headmaster gimmick was executed, I ended up loving it. This has been my favorite Transformers toyline since 2010.

12. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    The titans returns headmasters lol. Seriously , I would of never expected to be sucked into the mainline so hard ( man that sounds dirty ) . Of the 2 I have , Brainstorm and triggerhappy , I was very surprised to be having so much fun playing with these 2 guys.

13. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    The Titan Returns deluxes. I love them all. Bring on the next wave!!!

14. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    A) Beast Wars MPs, B) How beautiful MP Primal turned out, C) How for me Beast Wars has breathed new life into the MP line just as I was starting to loose interest.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Veleno

Veleno Solar Plexus Clown Gliders

I was suprised to hear that Sixshot can fully transform into all of his modes with the Titanmaster attached.

16. AnegefalosGR

AnegefalosGR Elite Guard!

Titans Return Astrotrain and Alpha Trion.

I was expecting the delues to be really good but god damn those 2 fellas who really deviate from the source material are so nice as toys. They are chunky, they have at least one decent alt mode and overall I Felt I was getting more than my money's worth.

17. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    RiD15 Thunderhoof. I was at Walmart, had a gift card, and he was the only TF there. I'd heard he was pretty cool, so I got him and was blown away. The transformation is fun, the robot mode is fun, and the tractor mode is adorable. I love how much he compacts down.

Second would be Combiner Wars Computron. Surprised I wanted him, surprised I got him for Christmas, and just surprised at how much I love him.

18. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alpha Trion was my biggest surprise because I ordered Astrotrain. o_O 

But he was better than expected.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    Titans Return as a whole. Combiner Wars ended-up becoming repetitive and tiring after the constant uses of the same moulds. TR on the other hand, does retooling and use of the same moulds in the right way by creating vastly different figures with lots of playability between them. Best part is how it brings back really obscure characters that nobody was expecting (Seriously, who was predicting Triggerhappy?).

The biggest and most pleasent surprise for me though, would be Convobat. Didn't think it was going to happen.

20. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Biggest surprise for me are those Titanmaster Packs. I picked up Apeface first but then I wanted to get others. Its ironic because because I swore them off at first since they were not full bodied releases but I got hooked. Besides Apeface, I got all of wave 1 and Sawback from wave 3.