Surprised nobody talked about this

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by UltraAlanMagnus, Feb 3, 2019.

1. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Like a turd, in the wind

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Even though Bumblebee is well received, much like the last movie, it got nominated for a Golden Raspberry Award, but not what you think.
    Cast your vote for the Razzie Redeemer Award right here at Gold Derby!
    Eh. The Razzie Redeemer award is nice and all, but is it really necessary?

2. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Well, you go from TLK to Bee in terms of reception, there's something to that sentiment.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Nathanoraptor

Nathanoraptor Well-Known Member

Here's the problem; it gives several false impressions.

1) Firstly, that TLK was a "bad" film. It was not; there were far worse films that year (Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets, for one) and, even within the series, it was alright. And if you look at the audience reception at Rotten Tomatoes, most people agreed; it has a 44% audience approval rating (which is pretty much "middling").

2) Secondly, that Michael Bay is a bad director and that he has sole responsibility for the movies becoming more and more lacklustre.

He is not a bad director; give him a good script and he can make a good movie. And, as I continually state, he was involved in Bumblebee; he was a producer on the film.

Also, it is Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Paramount who should shoulder the blame for the films' declining quality. They've been screwing up everything since Day One.

3) Thirdly, I lost hope with the Razzies a long time ago; it's become less "highlighting bad movies and performances in a good-natured way" and more "all non-MCU popcorn movies suck".

• Like Like x 4
  4. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    So you think the sexualized shots of women, dog humping, and robots peeing were elements that were baked into the script the entire time?

It doesn't matter if he was a producer or not. It was stated by Knight that Bay let Knight do whatever he wanted with this film. Lorenzo and Paramount is to blame, but Bay isn't off the hook either.

• Like Like x 12
  5. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

LolNOPE. Valerian was just a "meh" and "bleh" unnecessary movie. TLK did everything humanly possible to succeed at being bad.

• Like Like x 8
  6. Nathanoraptor

Let's agree to disagree here; I respect your opinion, even though I do not share it.

TLK is not a good movie; its story is cluttered, interesting plot developments go nowhere and it's a little too long. However, it's at least entertaining (not the same as good). Valerian, on the other hand, was just dull.

Similarly, ROTF was more fun to watch than Avatar.

ROTF wasn't very good plot-wise (the fact it was written during a writer's strike practically cursed it), but it was at least entertaining. Well, it was when I was twelve.

Avatar, on the other hand, was (and still is) one of the most boring films I've ever seen. To this day, I don't get why everyone held (and still holds) it on such a high pedestal.

I don't like films that take themselves too seriously or so-called "grimdark" movies; it's the same reason why the Dark Knight trilogy is, in my view, severely overrated.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Just because there were worse films, doesn't mean it wasn't bad.

And TLK was bad. Like, insultingly bad for anyone with a brain. It was just a hot mess moment after moment.

I mean, he is and he does. He's the one that ultimately has control of how the final product turns out, and he didn't even try with TLK.

Ah, when in doubt, deflect criticism of the product by criticizing the critic.

TLK still sucked.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
  8. Nathanoraptor

I don't hate the Razzies specifically; it is just that they are an awards ceremony and, as a whole, I dislike awards ceremonies of any kind. I don't watch them, I don't follow them and I don't care about them

For example, I've hated the Oscars since I was nine years old, for a very petty reason; films I like never get nominated for them. For example, Birdman, in my view, stole Best Picture from Godzilla and Spotlight stole it from Jurassic World.

Deep down, I'm still that nine-year-old boy who spent the best part of a day crying when I found out the 2005 King Kong wasn't nominated for Best Picture.

9. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    Awards are a thing for the masses and that's what they were meant for.They have their own criteria and everyone else is low quality..so the story even if it's boring and nothing happens is good because it was carefully planned and stuff..for the masses it's a good thing because they like competition and they make the winers feel important but that doesn't mean shit in reality for the individual.For me there's no one who can decide what's quality and what isn't...ART IS DEBATABLE!Not everyone will like it but it will have it's fans.I'm tired of people killing someone for loving a movie.IT'S ENTERTAINMENT for goodness's sake!It takes a certain kind of individual to stay away from the ideas and expectations of the world but sometimes it's worth it...I promise you!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I rate Valerian much higher than I’d rate half of the Transformers movies, including the Last Knight, by a large margin.

The Last Knight was very nearly the film series death rattle and its lunch stolen by Wonder Woman in a big way - which is ironic considering how much vitriol was heaped at it by certain small but vocal segments of this site - and ended up grossing less than the first instalment from ‘07.

You enjoying it your business, glad to hear it, but The Last Knight was a grevious fuck up by any metric you care to mention.

• Like Like x 7
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    This reeks so much of sour grapes I actually laughed.

"Pfft, so a movie's good just because it's, like, actually well-crafted and competently written and junk? Who even cares about that!"

• Like Like x 4
  12. Nathanoraptor

A lot of people think that, actually; because we go to the cinema to be entertained. For example, let's compare ROTF and Avatar.

ROTF wasn't very good plot-wise (the fact it was written during a writer's strike practically cursed it), but it was at least entertaining. Well, it was when I was twelve.

Avatar, on the other hand, was (and still is) one of the most boring films I've ever seen. It looks pretty, but it's dull and lifeless. To this day, I don't get why everyone held (and still holds) it on such a high pedestal.

I don't like films that take themselves too seriously or so-called "grimdark" movies; it's the same reason why the Dark Knight trilogy is, in my view, severely overrated.

13. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    It's great to have movies that make you think but movies can be vibrant,captivating at the samw time..to make you feel part of that world and part of that struggle or joy.It's not gonna challenge my mind if I'm asleep because they're showing this one same character in a dark light and they're never leaving that place just messing around and having visions of things that never happen and they finally decide to go outside after half the movie like okay very well written indeed but how can I even watch that stuff?What's the point of that?If people enjoy it that's cool but I don't want to hear that is the standard for every movie ever..those standards should never exist or if they would be taken serious some unique movies would never exist.

• Like Like x 2
  14. AutobotStrider

AutobotStrider Well-Known Member

Do you not like women?

15. Nathanoraptor

I'm sorry, but Valerian was just dull in my view. Cara Delevigne and Dane DeHaan act like they've been forced to read the lines at gunpoint; they're not enjoying it at all. It just wasn't fun; and that's a bad thing.

I view Wonder Woman as being like Avatar; a film that did not deserve the praise it got. Wonder Woman is alright, but most of it didn't feel like a superhero movie; it felt like a First World War movie guest starring Wonder Woman. I really don't get why everyone praises it.

Avatar was (and still is) one of the most boring films I've ever seen. It looks pretty, but that can't save the fact that, when it comes to story and pacing, it's as dull as ditchwater. To this day, I don't get why everyone held (and still holds) it on such a high pedestal.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Those two are, ironically, the film's weakest link: they both needed to be about ten years older than they are.

When and why is Avatar in this conversation? What possible relevance does it hold here?

What the fuck does that even mean?

• Like Like x 4
  17. AutobotStrider

Locked out of his tree like a monkey who forgot his keys.

18. Nathanoraptor

It's not just that; Dane DeHaan shows he has no comprehension of human facial expressions and Cara Delevigne sounds like she's being forced to read the lines at gunpoint.

I was comparing Wonder Woman to Avatar in the sense that they were both films that did not deserve the praise they got, principally because they took themselves too seriously.

Wonder Woman feels less like a superhero movie and more like a First World War movie guest starring Wonder Woman, whilst Avatar was, when it came to story and pacing, boring as all hell.

I honestly have no idea.

19. AutobotStrider

Gas.

20. Nathanoraptor

Again, what on Earth does that mean?