Customs: Supplies help with custom background and stands

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Miradus, May 28, 2020.

1. Miradus

Miradus Well-Known Member

Hello,

I am looking to spend some time making some nice foam bases, cutting them out and painting them / clearcoating them to use for my transformers shelf display.

Since I'm newer to this, and suggestions on types of foam to buy to support a transformer, and paint that would apply well to the foam and not look like crap?

I want to get started but couldn't find much online that included help with what types to buy

Thanks for any help!!

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Bobby Skullface posted a video on YouTube on this. Just search there. That's my first thought.

3. Miradus

Miradus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help, hoping someone here also has some advice. I'll check the channel!

4. Dachande

Dachande Very Hank. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pink insulation foam is the scenery maker's friend. It comes in 3/4-inch (I think) and 2-inch, but the thicker stuff is usually only available to contractors.

Cutting it is easy. Just use an extendable craft knife, the kind that slides out of the handle and can be broken off in sections when dull.

Sculpting can be done with a foam cutter, which is basically just an electrified/heated wire on a handle. Can also sculpt with the initial cutting blade, but the foam cutter is good for curves.

If you want rocky terrain, I like using a wood burner with a wide tip. It melts the foam quickly and makes for good rock patterning. Just be cautious with the fumes and do it in a well ventilated area.

Calling @Agent 539
    You may be able to offer more advice!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Agent 539

Agent 539 Blackrock Gas Attendant TFW2005 Supporter

This pretty much right here.

Transformers Diorama Appreciation Thread

@Miradus , check this thread out. There are conversations about materials, methods and progress pictures to help guide you with making whatever strikes your interests.

• Like Like x 1