Superman: Man of Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Omegashark18, Jul 20, 2019.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don't think that's how that works at all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's flashing his underwear at people and would either be considered a pervert or slow in the head.

Go try it and see how well that works out for you.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Superhero costumes, in a nutshell are basically wrestlers.
    giphy (69).gif
    cIjtI.gif
    And, nobody bats an eye when they go on stage like this.

Again, why are we trying to please the group of people who don't like this, over the group of people who do?

• Like Like x 5
  4. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I've seen some attempts at integrating the red as part of the suit but the attempts are usually ugly as sin. Granted this is Injustice where all characters are seemingly required to have the ugliest possible costumes so this might just be an outlier.
    [​IMG]

5. Dolza_Khyron

Oh god, yea, I would tell him to censor that shit too.

There, I fixed it for you, DC.

Censored Superman 2.PNG

Now he can go out in public.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Megastar

News Credits:
    No, there really not and a lot of wrestlers wear pants in the ring now.

Because nothing in the wrestling ring is meant to be taken seriously, while their are "real" and emotional stakes in comics. Plus that's like comparing apples to oranges.

I already answered that question.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Then I missed it. Answer it again, please?

Also, I think the evidence is pretty clear, that they are wearing wrestling clothes.

e227263ab0500a72ec4c54b834ae848e.jpg
    KarolKrauser4.jpg
    superman-clark-kent-original.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Megastar

News Credits:
    I'll simplify it, money and a lot of superhero costumes aren't designed/drewen like that anymore just look at the changes to Wonder Woman for example.

[​IMG]

9. Dolza_Khyron

That doesn't answer the question at all!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Megastar

News Credits:
    I guess I have to spell it out. Making the characters like lest silly makes them more marketable to newcomers either that's movies, TV shows, cartoons, video games and comics.

Personally I just think it's time to lose the trunks and stick to pants for Bats and Supes.

11. Dolza_Khyron

So, the newcomers are more important than the existing fans?

Edit: You know, I am a newcomer. And, I recently got into comics. About the same time they made these changes.

You know what I did when I saw these costume changes being different than what I'm used to from the cartoons that brought me in?

I said "ew" what is this? And, went for the dollar bin comics instead. I have almost a hundred of those, where DC doesn't get a dime from. Being that they're mostly used, resold comics.

So, exactly how does this help you gain a new audience, when I have the option to buy used ones, that look FAR more like the icon characters we all know?

It seems to me like it's doing the opposite of your goal.

Edit 2: This is like McDonalds trying to attract new costumers, by replacing all their burgers with vegan burgers.

Not only are you going to chase away all your current costumers, but you're also never going to attract the vegan costumers, being they were never going to eat at your fast food place, anyways.

Thus, you go bankrupt. Sounds like a really, really bad idea to me.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  12. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Trunks are fine, the thing that disgust me is his new 52 suit with his damn turtle neck and cape on the outside, what a fucking ugly design. Fuck you Jim Lee( was that who designed it?)
    And the movies where his cape is longer than a Bride's wedding dress train, make it knee high or shorter.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  13. Dolza_Khyron

Yea, I don't want Superman tripping over his own cape.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Megastar

News Credits:
    We're just going to have to agree to strongly disagree because this is going in circles and tangents

• Like Like x 1
  15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    This is a perfect (and hilarious) analogy.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always hated super long capes in the comics. Batman up on a roof and the cape is hanging halfway down the building. WTF.

Then that moron Kelly Jones artist. Bat ears over a foot tall off his head. Always hunched over gritting his teeth. I dropped the Batman comics due to his art.

17. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

[​IMG]

I wish more Superman media went back to this concept; when Clark Kent got in trouble with various assassins and what not who wanted him dead and so he had to figure out the most subtle (yet outrageous) ways to foil their efforts without giving away his identity or his peeps noticing. The potential for hilarity is superb :) 

• Like Like x 4
  18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Best Batman artist of the past 20 years. There is no realism in Batman comics. It's all about atmosphere. Trying for realism only makes everything more silly.

19. Dolza_Khyron

I've grabbed my stack of DC comics, out of curiosity, after this discussion.

Just looking at the covers, I have a Wonder Girl #1 from 2007, with Wonder Girl punching a bunch of snake-like creatures. I've got this Batgirl Year One Issue, (Issue #2, 2003.) where Batgirl is holding some guy's helmet, with bug antennas on top, in the first few pages, we have a man dressed like a cat chasing after some lady. I have this issue with some guy who looks like Knight-Batman kicking Batman in the face on the cover. He looks like something out of Elder Scrolls 2. It's Batman Gotham Knights Issue 30, from 2002. I have an issue with some robot girl holding a tiny girl, with the picture of what I can only describe as, Knight-Superman, with a hammer. Superman Action Comics 807, 2003. I have this issue with Supergirl dressed as an angel, and Baby Superman, and Baby Joker, with wings. The Adventures Of Superman, 583, from 2000. This issue has Superman fighting a bunch of Zombies on the cover. 52 Aftermath, 2 of 6, 2007. This issue has Supergirl flying over a bunch of bodies with icicles impaled all over their bodies, and for some reason, Supergirl has icicle wings, titled "Supergirl Slayer!" Issue 17, 2007. An issue with Supergirl about to get her head bit off by what looks to be some kind of alien, and then offering it a breathe mint. In Supergirl 61, 2001. Oh, right, I forgot I had this one. Superman as if he was Batman. (I actually read that one. That was something.)

The point of all this, is that these are all really silly looking covers. Especially to someone new to comics, like me. Having no idea what happens in most these comics, being that I haven't had much time to actually read them. And, yet, it's the shorts you think newcomers will find too silly? It's the shorts? Really?

Having been sold THIS Superman my entire life:

Supermanflying.png

Having grown up watching THIS Superman:

tenor (29).gif

The whole reason why I decided to get into comics, in the first place.

Yet, some how, DC expected to sell me this Superman:

97-97136_dc_superman_new_52_realbig_pdp.jpg
    Which looks nothing like the one they've been selling me for my entire life. Yet, DC Expected us newcomers to pick up that? Those of us who came into it, after watching their animated cartoons, like Justice League Unlimited, and not go "What the fuck is that!?"

This is why I went to find the old comics instead. Because me as a newcomer, I wanted to find something that looked way closer to what I am used to. To what was familiar with me. Not what looks like Superman wearing an Iron Man suit.

Then there is the factor that I have a lot of sisters. I grew up around a lot of Barbies and Ken dolls. Superman in this version looks exactly like one of those Ken dolls, without any clothes. Which were laying around the house all the time. So, I know exactly what they looked like. Especially with all that detail.

I just can't unsee it. I see that, and I see Superman, as not Superman, but Neuteredman.

There, rant done. Sorry, had to be done.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Hi-tech armor Superman with popped collar and gemstones on his kneecaps!

Fucking idiotic.