Superlink Grand Convoy (Energon Optimus Prime) Retrospective Review (Lengthy and Pic heavy!)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by SPLIT LIP, Feb 19, 2020.

1. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    I felt like the deluxe version all around just had better proportions and looked a bit better in truck and bot modes - he’s still a chunky monkey, just slightly less so. :D 
    That’s actually totally fair - in a way, his “power up” mode is actually more the “real” version and the standard maybe a bit more a “interim” mode then totally “separate” like many of them.

although, as far as the super mode transformation comparison, wasn’t Grand Convoy just flip up the helmet, open up the chest and plug in the drones?

But they did some things I really liked about Cybertron Prime’s super mode transformation, like the fold out panels that gave his head a bit more “presence”, and I loved the way his calves became boots for the power up.(and the sweet mask gimmick)

and I totally forgot their even was a Cybertron Wingsaber - I never got that mold becuase I though the combo was so dorky looking. (And despite superior articulation he was pretty lame looking ‘bot compared to Energon, who while a complete statue, like you said, was a pretty bad@$$ looking statue)

But I stand by most of my claims about Grand Convoy, appreciate they tried a different approach, just think he came out 1/2 baked at the very very best. (While still appreciating many of your points about Prime - sturdy, solid ratchets, fun unique concepts, etc - about the Energon line in general)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    really enjoyed reading that! really hope we get back to some of this 'be as much of a toy as I wanna be' style

would be fun right? right!?

• Like Like x 2
  3. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

awesome review, I just re-read it and it's fantastic.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm glad it's still engaging on re-reads. :D 

Also never saw this reply:
    Is that really "just," though? Like that's every component of the body changed in some way, if not replaced entirely. If the limbs change, the chest changes, and the helmet changes, isn't that 80%of the robot altered? Grand Convoy only has the midsection, thighs, and face remain the same between modes. On Cybertron Prime the entire base robot is unobscured, merely elevated by feet additions and given a backpack and transformed head. The arms are the same, the torso is the same, and 90% of the head and legs are the same.

Again, this isn't ragging on Cybertron Op by any stretch, it's an epic design, but it's not really a dramatic change between modes like Energon Optimus is. Especially since with Energon Optimus, because the limbs are the focal point of combination, both Wing Saber forms and his base Super mode end up looking very different in terms of shape and functionality, rather than simply replacing one wing backpack for another.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Traffic Cone

Traffic Cone TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Great retrospective review! The pictures do a lot to drive the points home, both the good and the bad. A question to any fan of this figure - is it worth getting if I already have Wing Saber? I lucked into a brand new sealed copy of Wing Saber, basically for free, but I don't own Grand Convoy. I'm debating selling the figure since its already so valuable, but I imagine I could get Grand Convoy for pretty cheap. Is the combo worth it?

• Like Like x 2