Superion just not superior

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mathius Maximus, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I'm in total agreement with the original post in the thread. Superion and the arielbots always looked lame to me.

I never completed any of the G1 combiners, but some of them I really lusted after. Devastator and Bruticus were the shit. Defensor, the pale blue seemed odd, but I probably wanted it more than any of them, dunno why.

Superion, on the other hand, was the epitome of meh.

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Some are the are Harrier, F-4 Phantom, F-15 Eagle and Concorde (wich is not a military jet), I can´t remember the other one tho atm. But then again that´s besides the point. I can identify the cars of Menassor too, but we´re not talking about him here.

3. Nemesis Liger

Nemesis Liger Well-Known Member

I believe the last one (Skydive, I think) was an F-16. Definitely besides the point, but still. >>;

4. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to disagree, they're not lame. The Aerialbots to me looks awesome. I take the 4 smaller Aerialbots over any of the g1 combiner. Head, arm, body, leg, are well define compare to other combiner which some of the subcomponent has joint leg/1 big foot e.g. Mixmaster/Streetwise/Afterburner/e.t.c. Even Silverbolt looks good.

As for Superion, his only weakness is the thigh/leg which made it flimsy. Color wise, red and white, it suits him perfectly.

In term of the wing kibble, I didn't have any issue. I thought it looks cute for the smaller Aerialbots to have a miniature jet on their back.

5. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think the main part that bugged me about superion was the spindly legs

6. jamspeed

jamspeed Follow me on Instagram _jamspeed_

Ebay:
    Me too! The jet modes were fun, bot modes not really much different from other combiners, they were smaller entry level toys so of course they would be simple. The jet back packs made sense to so they could fly in bot mode. The combined mode is a little goofy, but then to me all combiners are - except Devy and Predaking.

7. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The toy's fun factor is just not there. Scramble City combiners already feel "a notch below" for me, and Superion's way-too-similar limbs don't help.

And being G1 isn't a factor either. I got my first Devastator last month, and that guys is AWESOME!! Such a joy to transform and combine with all the different Constructicons!

8. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

No we're not, and I'm not sure if you're understanding my point or not...

Aside from Silverbolt, they all LOOK the same unless you really know anything about planes. It's not like they took a stealth bomber, a fighter jet, an apache helicopter, etc. To someone who doesn't know anything about planes they all LOOK the same. Go back and look at any picture in this thread and they're all pretty much the same except their head designs and one guy has some black paint.

None of the other combiners are this lame. They all have obviously different limbs.

Mathius

9. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Not only that, but their robot modes look far too similar as well. Arguably the Stunticons all transform more or less the same way too, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem as problematic as it does for the Aerialbots.

Just as, despite the fact that Predaking, Devastator and Computron all look pretty good with a unified colour scheme, on Superion it feels... dull.

zmog

10. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    I definitely think a little more alt-mode and transformation scheme variety would have helped. It's like they tried creating symmetry to the design in contrast with Devastator, learned their lesson, and went back to asymmetry when they moved on to future combiner teams.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I find it hard to comment on the G1 toys from a critical standpoint given today's toys. I still hold that I'm a fan of pretty much 99% of the G1 TFs, and even the 1% I still find things to like about them (Greatshot still retains the Sixshot design afterall :lol ).

The reason I used the preface above is that I only had Air Raid as a kid. However, I think the previous statement there is pretty loaded for me, as I had the Constructicons, the Stunticons, the Protectobots, and the Technobots. The Aerialbots/Superion came out during a time that if I had really wanted them, I'd probably been a bit more gung-ho about it (the pun is intentional, because I was into G.I. Joe and Transformers as a kid, but during the time of Superion, I was more into TFs). That's as close as I can come to being accurate on my feelings during the time.

For me, I enjoy the characters of the Aerialbots quite a bit, but it's mainly Slingshot (ignorant hotshot that's ready to just leap into action while trying to influence his clique) and Silverbolt (a robot that transformers into an aircraft with acrophobia? Honestly, that's brilliant, imo!). Having both of these characters really fleshed out gives them some depth :) 

I really enjoy the stories with the Aerialbots: first they're smug; then they idolize the Seekers (being a Seeker fan, I really enjoyed that :) ); finally, they find themselves having to be truly convinced of the Autobot's cause.

Air Raid, Firebolt, and Skydive can be a bit flat, but I actually like that part of the Aerialbots. We see this sort of push and pull with Slingshot and Silverbot and each's influence over the group.

It may sound kinda odd, but I really enjoy the sociological aspect of the Aerialbots :) 

Also, as I said earlier, I'm not one to really "rank" TFs as "favorites" or "least favorite" too much. :lol 

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  12. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    I kind of think they were meant to be a bunch of flat, hothead Top Gun stereotypes. Giant in-joke.

Slingshot is Iceman.

13. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^Without the innuendo.

14. Chump

Chump Well-Known Member

Superion had thin and spindly "thighs". I always wondered why the decepticons got all of the cool gestalts.

15. RICHARD1273

RICHARD1273 Member

I always liked airplanes, because of that it even became my trade. But back on point. I always wanted to like the aerialbots, but they did usually come up empty. Everytime I saw them I hoped for a good fight, but they usually didn't kick butt like I wanted them to. That being said there are a couple things that I fondly remembered about them. I always liked Air Raid. I liked his voice, and I liked his sarcastic attitude. I also thought it was cool in war dawn, when superion is getting the crap kicked out of him by a sentinal, right before the end of the battle he gets thrown into a wall. Superion stands up with with this face like "enough of this", and them BOOOOM he launches that guy like 100 feet through the ceiling. In the same episode I like when after the battle is over Slingshot starts screaming at Megatron: You'll never get away from us! We'll never stop fighting until you're finshed! You hear?!? I thought the voice acting on the line seemed genuine given the aerialbots newfound prospective of the decepticons.

16. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

well as a kid i loved the aerialbots, and as an adult i still love the concept of them. Yeah their color scheme was a little strange, but to my knowledge the Airforce never painted an F-15 black and purple. I actually like the transformations, quick and simple. Yes hasbro could have made a few tweaks but compared to most transformers of the day i see nothing wrong with them. Also don't blame hasbro because you dont know the defference between an F-4, F-15, F-16, or an AV-8. As far a customs go, I actually have been buying the parts to make my own custom superion. When finished im thinking he will be around 2 feet tall. It will be a difficult build, there really isnt any modern transformers that fit what im looking for. It seems everything will have to be scratch built. I'm really looking forward to building this, hope it turns out as good as what is in my head.

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    We look forward to seeing your work as well :thumb 

18. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've always loved the concept and the tug of war that goes on. The toy leaves a bit to be desired but i do like it for what it is and what the concept is... spindly legs and all!

19. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I was getting into G1 (hiring and watching the VHSs as I was too young to catch it on TV) Superion was my favourite combiner. Nowadays I'm leaning more towards Bruticus or Predaking, but he still has a fair ammount of nostalgia appeal. Add in the fact that two of the few original G1 toys I had as a kid were Skydive and Fireflight, and you can see why I still like him.

Plus if we're talking about characterisation of the combiner groups in the G1 cartoon, clearly the Combaticons and the Stunticons got the best deal. The Predacons are pretty much the same, the Protectobots got very little individual airtime apart from First Aid and Hot Spot and everyone seems to have covered the Aerialbots.