Superion just not superior

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mathius Maximus, Aug 14, 2010.

1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I like the aerial bots but as a kid it always confused me why the Decepticons had the car combiner and the Autobots had the jet combiner to me at the time it made more sense if had been the other way around.

2. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Superion may not of looked great (toy wise) but they were the Autobots air-force that had some depth. They were the most thought out combiner team of G1 IMO.
    I loved that we got to know them. From Slingshots rash and judgmental views towards Silverbolt to Prime appointing Silverbolt as the leader to take his mind off his fear of flying. The whole team seemed well important to the Autobots cause. Having the Aeiralbots was a exciting time for me.
    NOt just a combiner to sell toys cause there Alt modes were just as important to the Autobots. They are the best!

Now as far as toys, they maybe lacking, but as a kid I couldn't wait to grab ahold of them and play out internal turmoil and have the added Air-Force the Autobots needed.
    This team was as important as the Dinobots to me.

3. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He did combine in BOT, the one shot (both on screen and destruction of bruticus) and at the end where he supplies his forcefield to keep the gravity cannon from destroying the autobots.

I thought the the choice of planes did offer variety but not for the transformations. I do like the airplane modes and liked the importance that the aerialbots played in the series. We had the concord, f-15, f-16, I forget slingshot and have no idea what fireflight is. A good example of transformations are the bullet trains from RID. Each one of them a different transformation from very similar looking trains.

The combiner mode is very generic and skinny so not one of the stronger combiners. The voice was always different, from a beehive voice (Omega) to a very deep voice.

I wish the crazydevy head was more cartoon accurate than just a bigger version of the toy head. We need fansproject to create an awesome Superion.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I get what you're saying. I've always looked at the back of their robot modes and felt you could cut off the wings and the nosecone/tail chunk on their backs and they'd be a separate jet and robot. Don't even need the wings really as the tailfins would work for it. The central block of the jet mode is what becomes their body and all the important jet identifier parts get shuffled onto their backs so it looks like they're wearing their entire alt mode on their backs. They're not really but it does look very much like it. Taking the Seekers though as they've been mentioned a few times here they have the cockpit in their chest, the tail sections and jet nozzles on their lower legs and the launchers move from the wings to the arms. Sure they have their wings and nosecone around their back too (apart from the cones for Coneheads so there's another difference) but the other jet parts are scattered about their body and not just hunked into one place on their backs.

Rhinox could sorta fall into the alt mode back category but his legs are made from the rhino legs and the lower jaw ends up on his chest so his entire alt mode isn't on his back to the extent the Aerialbot limbs guys' are.

5. Mightion

Mightion There is ALWAYS room.

News Credits:
    Defensor is my favorite Autobot combiner (obviously), but you'd be surprised what I'd pay for a reissue G1 Superion if it were possible for that to happen. At least the Aerialbots got an intro episode and actual screen time.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I actually agree, the Aerialbots are sort of mediocre. They all kinda look the same, without much variety, and their combined mode is spindly and fragile. The stand-out among them is Air Raid, mostly for being a Starscream-esque F-15. I warmed to the Energon Aerialbots, though (despite their unfortunate 3-mold limitation like the other Energon combiners) because an A-10 was added to the mix. And an A-10 is always welcome.

However, in my opinion Defensor has enough cool to make up for Superion. He's the perfect symbolic Autobot, really.... a group of rescue vehicles whose purpose it to defend and protect. I think it says a lot the the five-man team core Autobot team picked for Animated has a lot in common with the Protectobots. He has great variety, a great color scheme (baby blue firetruck = awesome), and looks solid and well-proportioned in combined mode.

Viva Defensor!

Oh, as for this, I think that was sort of the point.... that traditionally the Autobots were cars and the Decepticons were flying vehicles. These two combiner teams were created to even the odds and give each side an advantage in domains that previously belonged to their enemies.

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
  8. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

Again, I'm not arguing against the need for a combiner made of planes, or even a group of autobot planes. I thought the events of "Key to Vector Sigma" was a really well done story line.

My complaint is the look and MO of Superion and the majority of the aerialbots. I agree that Silverbolt has a unique and interesting MO. The rest of them are fodder tho as far as I'm concerned.
    You said this way better than I could.
    I didn't mind the energon combiners so much except all their head sculpts were terrible. Energon Superion would have benefitted from losing his horns. Constructicon and Bruticus Maximus had those weird snouts and unnecessary horns. Then there was the fact that budget cuts made each combiner only have 2/4 unique molds for their limbs. Beyond those complaints they were pretty good for the caliber of character energon put out.

Again, Defensor isn't bad, but when you stack him against Devastator, Bruticus, Menasaur, etc. he doesn't excite me. So the fact that you pit him with Superion against those guys.... It's not enough.

I know there was technically Predaking, Abominous, and Computron, but they all got very little cartoon time being so late in the line. Then you have the combiners from the Japanese continuum. I'm basically looking at the main combiners for the majority of the G1 US run.

Mathius

9. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Silverbolt was the only cool one of them....
    All the rest just fucked it up...

10. twnb

twnb Member

I really liked them in the cartoon but agree that the toys are not that great, at least not the limbs.

11. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

the autobots always get the worst toy molds compared to the decepticons in any given toy year.

Because hasbro/Takara views the autobots toys as more kid friendly. thus makes them for a younger kid buying age.

while the decepticons are much more scarrier. thus hasbro/takara makes the decepticons toys designs for a higher kids age & adult fan collector.

12. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

hmm Im not sure, in Superions case I think he is just lame because he flops about and has skinny legs, i like the 4 small seperate bots, just not silverbolt... I think Defensor is awesome though and he is an Autobot.

13. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

Superion love

[​IMG]

14. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Petuiy...I spit on this thread. And punch everything in sight. But I see your point OP. I do feel the decept combiners have a more badass feel to them. When I design a new superion one day, he'll be cool. I just feel like they don't use their aerialness to the fullest.

15. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I don't mind that most of the "good" combiners are on the Decepticon side. It gives the illusion the good guys are the underdogs against this huge brooding force who end up coming out on top against all odds. Unfortunately, most of the combiners were of the Scramble City design which meant for not very impressive or original results.

I think the good guys are plain/bad guys are interesting theory is a good point too. I was just putting my MOTUC figures together by Good vs. Evil, and the bad guys have soooo many more cool designs! It's just the way it seems to work!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I agree, mostly.

The Aerialbots have distinct personalities, but it doesn't save them from feeling dull and repetitive. They're all jets, almost all with similar transformations and colour schemes. They just don't end up feeling as distinctive as most other Combiner teams do.

As a combiner, even his Tech Specs make reference to his utter lack of personality, and although I find it hard to put my finger on, there's something about his overall design that feels very uninspiring. He's supposed to be one of the most powerful combiners around, and yet I never really believed it.

Oh well.

zmog

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    As a toy, Superion (and the aerialbots) are one of the crappiest combiners in G1. I've never understood the decision to put a swivel joint below tiny, weak hinges that hold Silverbolt's legs to his torso. My Silverbolt broke within a couple of days of ownership as a child (which, honestly, seems like a common story with G1 toys).

18. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

As someone who likes military gear, I like Superion and that fact that 4 of the 5 Aerialbots are one of the few military themed Autobots that exist. That´s reason enough for me to like Superion.

19. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was all ready to enter this thread defending Superion's honor and all that, but a G1 Superion I ordered arrived in the mail today and...wow this guy is all sorts of fail! I knew what he looked like before, and I (regrettably) own the craptastic dollar store version but man does he suck ass! It also doesn't help that I paid too much and a few of the bots are in less-than-stellar condition ie. Silverbolt is slightly yellowed. :puke:  In all honesty not even the most nostalgic Geewuner in me can save this toy.

Character-wise, the Aerialbots had some decent personalities. Or as much as one could ask for out of a G1 combiner team, so I'll give 'em that. [Now I'm contemplating either "upgrading" the poor condition bots, or leaving this POS as is and take the L).

20. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

I think that's another part of what I don't like about them. Unless I was a plane junky, I couldn't tell you the difference between any of the 4 limb's altmodes.

Mathius