Super7 General Thread (ULTIMATES!, ReAction, vinyls, etc)

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by DukeFett, Feb 1, 2022.

1. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Even if we'd gotten that wave, how do you get five waves deep without a "normal" Bart OR Homer? I love Robot Scratchy and Hank Scorpio as much as the next fan... but one-episode wonders should have been sparse, not the norm. I appreciate getting some of the niche fan favs, but not at the expense of the main family and the massive B-list recurring cast.

Maybe they'll make up with Disney eventually and my Moe, Ralph, and Burns won't seem like such oddball purchases.

• Like Like x 2
  2. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sounds like a good setup for a depressing-as-hell Simpsons bar scene...haha...

3. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

I missed this, but the promo shots indicate it’s supposed to be Burns when he’s hugging Bobo.

Kinda forgot that. Yeah, even with some well-known variants done, neither Homer nor Bart are in standard looks?! I genuinely had to look it up to be sure. Wild stuff. I’ll never begrudge Scorpio’s inclusion but we sure got a lot of nonsense in the released four waves that absolutely should’ve waited.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Creedog

Creedog Super Magic Seven Medicom Square Fan

I think the reasoning behind it was that there are already sooooo many simpsons figures going back to the 90’s, that they needed a way to differentiate themselves from the other lines. So they did unique-ish characters instead of the “A” list. Which was a big mistake.

They basically did the same thing for Transformers Ultimates. They pulled in too many characters from too many eras, trying to draw as many people in as they could. But their robot designs were seriously lacking in looks and articulation.

I may have gotten my top 25 TF G1 figures, since I’m a big TF and S7 fan. But my Optimus was bad, and I didn’t want to wait 10 years to get 25 g1 figs. I just couldn’t see them ever completing a decent g1 collection.

also, the simpsons wave 5 info was from toy collectr magazine (which has also been a disappointment, and I won’t be renewing). The course correction back to the main cast just came too late.

IMG_1083.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  5. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You only get that deep with the Disney rep signing off, for one thing.

My impression is that Super7 is fine with breakeven sales numbers and was fairly transparent about that, viewing themselves mostly as an "art toy" company... And Disney pulled all of their licenses over sales numbers being low.

It seems like Disney could have questioned the sales strategy.

That said, supposedly the Simpsons line was healthy and it was the stuff like Rescuers being canned and Fantasia barely generating royalty checks that caused the plug to be pulled.

It just seems to me that if you wanted Super7 to try to maximize profits, maybe don't approve stuff like the wolf from Silly Symphonies. Super7 will make anything they not just make a small amount of money on but won't lose a ton making. And they're pretty open about their excitement for shooting down for where that line is.

A licensor can always say, "Yeah. No. We want a return on this. No Rescuers for you until you're generating seven figure checks for us."

• Like Like x 1
  6. SmokePants

SmokePants Well-Known Member

Marge and Lisa just make for crappy $55 action figures. Their hair looks stupid in 3 dimensions, more so than most other characters. Marge is wearing a dress, so her legs wouldn't be able to do much, unless they put a sexy slit down the side. Lisa is just small and boring.

I do pour one out for Willie, though. He would have made a great figure.

I have Drederick Tatum and King Size Homer on the way. I give negative shits about "the family". The interesting figures that represent funny moments are where it's at for me. That's what's worth $55 and space on the shelf.

I wanted:
    - Abe Simpson
    - Snake
    - Gil Gunderson
    - Cookie Kwan, #1 on the West Side
    - Skotchtoberfest Willie
    - Hans Moleman in Bart disguise

• Like Like x 4
  7. RodimusRex

News Credits:
    Honestly, if Ultimates had the accessory count they used to, I'd probably expect characters like Marge to have an alternate "sitting" lower body.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah I'm on the side of, 'who cares about the family?' I was ready to buy Hank Scorpio and guys like that. Maybe the line should've just stayed as ReActions and gave deep cut characters that way.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RodimusRex

News Credits:
    I personally think S7 needs a midrange offering, particularly for cast heavy franchises. Between Ultimates and ReAction.

Like... $35, 7-10 POA (articulation obviously isn't everything for S7 collectors), spread of accessories, 5" scale.

Something like Star Trek or Simpsons needed that. At $55, people are going to skip what's skippable. But ReAction doesn't scratch the itch.

• Like Like x 2
  10. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that Lisa and Maggie should have been one SKU, as neither is worth $55 individually, and Marge should have come with a shitload of accessories given her relative blandness and what would by necessity be poor articulation.

But that being said, it's not that the family is the most interesting... I agree they frequently aren't, but they're the stage, the setting, for all the other quirky characters to exist in the context of. The family is the reason we see the quirks, they're the reason we are forced to see and interact with the stranger characters of that world. To remove the main five or dismiss them as unimportant seems like missing the point. They are the POV gateways to the oddballs, and without them, the oddballs just seem bizarrely out of context. I want the family, not because they're so great, but because they make the fun characters more interesting along side them.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Lisa and Maggie appeared to be a single release based on those photos, which definitely made sense.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sgt Jack V

Sgt Jack V Not *that* sick of G1

Now why couldn't they have done that for, say, Kit and Kat, or Snarf and Snarfer?

13. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
    they're literally the namesakes of the show but okay

14. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

Picked up Finster:

IMG_20240502_142758597~2.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  15. Creedog

Creedog Super Magic Seven Medicom Square Fan

Sounds like that rumor wasn’t 100% BS after all. Brian says TMNT 2K3 Ultimates (6/13) will have double jointed knees and elbows.

• Like Like x 4
  16. RodimusRex

News Credits:
    They're easier to hide with those pads, which was Flynn's concern.

I still have it on some decent (anonymous) authority that the Reddit post was made by a 3POA podcaster who wanted to fabricate an entire podcast out of dumping on S7. And that Flynn is, if anything, more involved in design than he was before they took the investor money.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The quality control is staggering:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Leighton

Leighton Well-Known Member

I just think The Simpsons isnt a great fit for 55 figures. The upcoming Jakks stuff is a better vehicle IMO.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

It’s gone now. I’m expecting my order to be canceled but an interesting way to try out the line if it’s not.

EDIT: I didn't even have to wait a day. Order canceled!

Last edited: May 17, 2024
    • Like Like x 2