Super Street Fighter IV ULTRA Edition - red focus = IN-DE-STRUCTIBLE

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by atlianz, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think there are three explanations for this:

1. It's the anniversary of Street Fighter, not the Street Fighter EX or Alpha series, and so they want to be able to have 25th anniversary editions for those series as well. As such, this focuses on the street fighter 'core' games. It's a bit dissapointing still though, as I mentioned because it doesn't include either hyper fighting or the original fighting street. It doesn't explain why sfxt is in there either, though I think they included it because it's the latest street fighter game.

2. Porting the games to the xbox in the case of the alpha series would violate previous exclusivity contracts with sony which allowed them to be on the psn store, and so instead of a legal mess these titles just don't exist in the set.

3. Porting all the current games to the next gen systems would be hard, and capcom doesn't really like to do things when they are difficult or complicated (like figure out a drm system that works or deal with issues with xbox live), so tough luck for everyone who wants these games.

Personally I think it's a combination of the three with an emphasis on the first factor. Capcom can make more money that way since they will have a limited edition sf alpha series box set (which might include the ex series since nobody will likely spend much on getting a box set of that series (though I like the games just fine)), and so they will be keeping those games in the bag for the moment as a future project.

2. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ask all those people who bought Mass Effect 1 collector edition the same thing.

What is this "Street Fighter" you speak of? Pretty sure the series started with a game strangely called Street Fighter II: The World Warrior.

:p 

3. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I won't lie. SF1 was pretty terrible. Still, if Capcom re-released it on XBL and PSN at a reasonable price I'd buy it just for shits and giggles.

Though it would be truly awesome if Capcom HDR'd it AND made all the characters playable. Now that would've been an awesome way to celebrate SF's anniversary.

4. panzerjedi

panzerjedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Meh.

5. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

The main thing that set does is make me regret buying SFxT even more :lol .

It's a great deal, but like most I already own just about all of the games.

6. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Remember who your talking about here. Capcom are renowned for taking the piss so there will be an Turbo anniversary set 6 months later with the Alpha series....then an Ultimate adding in SF1.

7. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's possible they'll announce something at E3, but I doubt it.

8. magmatron

News Credits:
    Too much trouble for them. Remember how they barely released SFII HD?
    Besides, it would probably be better just make a new game if they are going 2D, like a new Darkstalkers.

9. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Totally forgot that was in the works. I'd much rather they focus their time on that than make shitty online edition re-releases.

10. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney!

News Credits:
    Dude, Alpha 1 is the ONLY game I have sealed in a store anti-theft case.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah –doesn’t really make sense. SFxT is such a train wreck I don’t feel like playing it now.
    September? Prolly not.

I also like this:

That’s great, because technically every disc includes all character and Swap Costume DLC.
    It’s just, you know, Capcom wants you to pay more to use them.
    Isn’t it great that they make a $60 game that’s really $130 game to see everything on the disc?

Yeah, it may as well have.
    Besides, if it can't have big, ginormous buttons it can't be Street Fighter I.

I don’t know if that was Capcom or Udon’s fault; I seem to remember the excuse was that it was Udon at the time.
    At any rate, it sure scared them away from doing anything like that again didn’t it?

12. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I don't get the hate for SF X T :confused: 

Yeah I get Capcom are assholes for the whole DLC thing....yeah I get the online side of the game is severely fucked but local multiplayer is fantastic.....I haven't enjoyed a Capcom fighter with mates like this since.....I dunno.....shit.....probably SF3/MVC2 on Dreamcast.

13. magmatron

News Credits:
    It was really the fault of both of them, as they under estimated how much work was needed to redraw all the sprites.
    And I'm sure they dropped the HD remix thing less of how difficult it to make SF II HD and more of how willing the fans are to buy the old games at any price, as long as it has GGPO slapped on it somewhere.

Ummm, you just listed two big inexcusable reasons for the hate.
    How can anyone tolerate the rushed launch, horrible DLC, terrible online, idiotic forced gem system and glitchy gameplay is beyond me. Not to mention treating their fans like idiots.
    But mostly people are angry at all the wasted potential the game had.

14. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

Not just glitchy gameplay but terrible gameplay as well. Jab, jab, jab and gems, gems, gems.

15. magmatron

News Credits:
    I feel that the glitches were an even bigger problem than the gameplay. I mean come on, how could they let this happen?

[​IMG]

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Thank god they specifically stated the revamp will be fixing the overpowered jabs.

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It doesn't matter.
    I've completely lost interest and I'm sure 70% of the fighting game community has, too.
    If they did a mea culpa and unlocked everything for everyone then maybe I'll come back. Maybe they could unlock the characters and then hope to get some revenue from costume unlocks.
    However, I imagine their contract with Sony to create the PS Vita idiocy makes such a thing impossible.
    I hope it was worth it, Capcom.

What, you don't have all 305 Gems memorized?
    Creating 305 redundant elements is the core of good game design.
    Thanks for creating this 'strategic' factor that no one asked for, Capcom.
    Thanks again for completely ignoring all fan input on the matter as well.
    I'm pretty sure they have the 'Armor of Arrogance' gem equipped.

Yes, it's the wasted potential. I could be having a blast with SFxT on locals or online if not for all the myriad issues I won't bother to list again.

And that has it pegged right there.
    They brought an unfinished game to the market.
    Ignored fan input from the start -and in some cases issued insulting contrary statements about fan input.
    They also made ludicrous remarks like "We never advertised that you could play the game with two players.'
    Well, they never advertised the game would have sound either.
    But, you know, some things are just a given these days.

It's almost like there's been a complete management change at the company.

18. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Alright... SFxT definitely is getting waaaaaaaaaaaay more generalized than it should be. To the point where I read all of this and just said, "Wow" after a good 20 seconds of brain freezing.

19. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

lol, I don't how anyone can try to defend sfxt now. when I first encountered the auto parry gem I knew that was the end for most people.

making a game that already has the lowest bar for execution even easier is dumb.

I think after all the crazyness the only way anyone will go back to it is if the 12 characters are free, like smasher says.

20. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    ... if people have problem with the gameplay, I don't think "free characters" would bring them back.

But that's the thing... free characters WOULD bring them back, because the reality of the situation is that people are upset with the on-disc DLC and have used that anger to nit-pick and generalize anything they can about the game's elements to justify not playing it because of petty shit like DLC.

Personally, I play it, and I like it... not as much as SSFIV: AE at this point, but still recognize it as a solid game. There are elements about it I'd change for sure, but moreso things that effect match flow than a lot of what's listed regularly (like scaling and recovery).

It is what it is.

Anyways, On topic - I wish this collector's pack coming out had different games rather than the two most main stream ones that people who are into this already own, and stuff like costume packs for AE that I've already purchased. The soundtracks though... win.