Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by pinoy78, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Brave could mean anything besides Erdrick. True, Dragon Quest is insanely popular in Japan, but not as much here in the west. Plus, Square-Enix hasn't exactly been as generous as other companies that were in on Smash 4 and Ultimate when it came to Cloud and Final Fantasy regarding their inclusion in those games. However, I feel as though the reason why we didn't get more Final Fantasy content could be because of rights issues or something. I'm not saying Dragon Quest shouldn't be represented in Smash, I'm just saying that it feels doubtful that Square-Enix would give us more out of what already seems like a raw deal between them and Nintendo.

As for the "leak" regarding
    Ryu Hayabusa, Doomguy, and Steve
    being the final three, yeah, I don't buy that either.
    Doom is virtually non-existent in Japan, and fans of Banjo-Kazooie would riot at Microsoft's headquarters if a Minecraft rep with no personality whatsoever got in. Ryu Hayabusa seems like the only one that actually would work; he's probably the last biggest NES star yet to join the ranks of Mega Man, Simon Belmont, and Snake.

I would kill to see Doomguy get in just for the sake of representing the FPS genre, though. Dare to dream!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Doomguy

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE him in Smash, as I think he is -very- important to Gameing history.

But I'd rather Sora. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  3. Eric

News Credits:
    Oh, I'd KILL to see
    Doomguy
    in Smash. :lol  I even wrote out a possible trailer for him:

The trailer begins in live-action. We see a normal house in the suburbs with the location on the bottom left side of the screen saying that this is in Richardson, Texas. Coming out from the house is none other than the Doom Slayer himself, all decked out in his new outfit for the 2019 game, Doom Eternal. He's ready for another busy day at work, so he takes his car (probably a sedan) and drives to id Software's headquarters. The beginning of this trailer is to make the audience believe that this is just a humorous trailer for Doom Eternal, but as we'll soon see, it won't be the case. As the Doom Slayer arrives, he silently waves hi to some friendly id employees; he's quite the popular guy around there. Soon, someone comes up to him and gives him some mail. Doom Slayer goes to his cubicle and reads through them. Bills, fan letters, fan drawings of him kicking ass, hate mail from the demons he's killed; this is normal for him. But suddenly, the last envelope he has in his hand contains a red stamp with a peculiar symbol on it (the Super Smash Bros. logo). He opens it up and reads it. He slowly realizes what he must do. One jump cut later, his bosses understand that he needs to take a few days off to attend to this "fighting game" thing, so Doom Slayer gives them a thumbs-up and leaves. He'll be back to help id finish Doom Eternal in no time. He comes home, feeds his pet rabbit, has dinner, and then readies himself…FOR SUPER SMASH BROS.! DOOM SLAYER RIPS AND TEARS! Doom Slayer transforms from live-action to video game animation, and jumps onto the Battlefield, where Ridley has gotten the upper hand against Samus, Mario, and Donkey Kong. The space dragon scoffs at the space marine, thinking he's just another Samus wannabe. The Doom Slayer pulls out a rocket launcher, and blasts Ridley right off the stage. Samus is just dumbfounded, Mario is curious about this new guy, and DK's mouth is agape in both amazement and possibly horror. We then see gameplay footage of the Doom Slayer utilizing his various weapons from all of his games (at least the weapons that can be allowed), while the awesomeness that is the Doom 2016 soundtrack by Mick Gordon plays. We see Doom Slayer change out from his modern appearance to his classic 1993 appearance, indicating an alternate costume. We then cut to Doom Slayer and a few other Smashers fighting on the Foundry level from Doom 2016. Grabbing the Smash Ball, Doom Slayer's Final Smash has him pull out the BFG-9000 and a giant green energy ball of doom blasts through the stage, knocking out his opponents. The trailer ends, back in live-action, as the Doom Slayer returns from his little "vacation" at the id Software offices again, this time with pictures of him with the various Smashers. He pins a picture of him and Mario side-hugging on a wall in his cubicle, with the words "Best Friends" written on it. Doom Slayer simply nods in approval as the trailer fades to black.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「私は眠い」

News Credits:
    It's gonna be more in Armor Projects hands than Square's since they just distribute the games, while AP and Horii still own the DQ series. It's such a big game in Japan and with DQ properties coming to Switch soon it feels inevitable imo? That aside, "Brave" in the files has stats very similar to Link and Cloud, which lines up well with a DQ protag like Erdrick.

Well, keep in mind that Bethesda confirmed they've talked to Nintendo about one of their properties appearing in Smash to some degree, and Sakurai has a lot of respect for John Carmack and Doom (he's seemingly one of the only Western devs Sakurai's been on the record saying is important to gaming). There's a pretty big chance Doomguy's getting in.

We'll see though. Personally, I'm on team real for the
    Erdrick
    stuff, but the whole season pass? It's really hard to say.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Just to point out, none of the Fire Emblem games had even been released outside Japan until 2003, but that didn't stop them from including Marth and Roy in Melee back in 2001. Their inclusion in Smash Bros seemed to help generate international interest in the games. So who knows.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  6. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

Finally! I did it! I beat adventure mode!!!

And now I take a break and will continue music hunting.

I'm gonna start New Game + in 3 seconds
    :) 

• Like Like x 2
  7. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

For the hell of it, I pitted seven level 9 cpu against one level 1 cpu, and seeing the Lv. 9's swarm the lv. 1 had to be one the funniest things I've seen. One of the setups had Ike as the lone Lv. 1, who unexpectedly won the match (it was a 5:00 timed match).

• Like Like x 3
  8. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    So I kept my Nintendo online sub for a month as I had another week of holidays after it expired.

I managed to climb to 1.5mil GSP with Captain Falcon before I started encountering people who would stomp me into dirt easily.

I wish that there was more substantial or meaningful online structure. The GSP system feels a bit... nebulous?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

It's ment to.. So people like me who suck at everything don't see something like 0/1000 which basically screams "YOU'RE WORTHLESS CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT AND JUST DIE!"

• Like Like x 1
  10. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    Surely the happy middle ground is a ranked tiers system similar to that of Rocket League?

11. Eric

News Credits:
    This is true. However, from what I've read (and it could be wrong, so who knows), putting in
    Erdrick from Dragon Quest
    would involve multiple companies, and the main composer is rather strict about letting other people use his music.
    The game design is done by Armor Project, the character and monster design is done by Bird Studios (the same company owned by Akira Toriyama of Dragon Ball fame), and the main series programming is done by a few other companies (sometimes Square-Enix themselves).
    How is it that Cloud could be more difficult for Sakurai to bring into Super Smash Bros. despite being fully-owned by Square-Enix, yet
    Erdrick
    would be easier to bring in since he's owned by multiple companies?

I'm not bashing the idea of
    Erdrick
    getting in Smash, I'm just trying to point out the hurdles that Nintendo would have to go through to get him in. If he gets in, then that's that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    from what I keep hearing, square enix is extremely against crossovers guest characters unless they are dlc. I imagine if this is true, thwn that explains why.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

Anyone wanna battle?

My info is in my sig.

I'm good after 6pm (central) weekdays and 4pm weekends.

15. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    Just beat the World of Light game last night with the 'True' ending with all characters freed and all spirits gained (in the WoL anyway)

I dunno if I was just doing well or what, but Shiek just was super good to use in the game. Combining her (him) with spirits that made me giant as well as have that Lip's flower item just wrecked a lot of battles. Except that Pauline fight. That fight can go the hell away.

• Like Like x 2
  16. marvel b

News Credits:
    Pauline's fight is universally hated.

Fun fact, I ended up using Link with various spirits to maximize prizes for 80% of WoL. 10% was Lucas with M.Bison and a few others (my "godkiller" team) and 10% as villager.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MST3KFan

News Credits:
    I won the Pauline fight simply because the AI Peach apparently screwed up somehow and wasn't able to jump back up onto a platform or something. So I didn't 'win' the fight myself, but I'm not gonna complain. A win is a win.
    I had less trouble with the Giga Mac fight. Even Big Boss wasn't any issue. Just that Pauline fight out of all the WoL fights. And really I feel it's because of the level it takes place in. That Donkey Kong level sucks.

• Like Like x 2
  18. marvel b

News Credits:
    There was trouble with the giga Mac fight?
    And the AI messup struck my big boss fight. She tried an air down attack while I was recovering from below the stage. Kicked herself to death, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MST3KFan

News Credits:
    Apparently there was a lot of posts I read on sites about 'toughest spirit battles' for the game, and a number of people claimed the Giga Mac fight. So when that fight came up, I was dreading it, but I won on the first try.

The Boss fight took me a couple of tries and coming back to it after acquiring some more spirits. My best spirits were usually M. Bison, James McCloud, and Geno for each grouping.

• Like Like x 2
  20. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    I love/hate fighting Richter or Simon online.

Everyone that I've come across spams the boomerang and axe if you keep distance, and if you get close tries to stunlock you with the fire cast so they can smash attack you. If you don't give them space to breathe it usually all falls apart for them.

Conversely, if you come across a competent one or let them get into a position where they can just spam projectiles to hinder your approach it can be control breakingly frustrating.

• Like Like x 1