Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by pinoy78, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Constructor

Constructor Baron of Bad News

I'd freaking explode if they added a Monster Hunter to Super Smash Bros!
    The only problem I think there would be is alternate costumes. Normally Nintendo loves to make the alternate costumes homages and/or real costumes that the characters have had before.
    The most likely costume that a Monster Hunter would don is the Rathalos armor, considering that's what the monster Hunter had in Marvel VS. Capcom, but there are only three different colors of it:
    Normal (red), Azure (blue), and Silver (grey). there would be a whole swath of colors that seem mandatory for smash bros that would not be normally available unless they wanted to make different armors for each color.
    If they decide to go with different armors, then you have the problem of making the armors for each color and presumably the male and female versions of each armor. Which ends up being a massive workload.
    Of course they could always just end up just making up different Rathalos armor colors, but I don't think that the Smash Bros crew really would opt for that.
    Sorry for the long post, I just love Monster Hunter and Smash Bros, so naturally I would have a lot to say.
    Also, Adeleine being in Smash would be cool too.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    While I would enjoy the hell out of Banjo and Kazooie finally being playable in Super Smash Bros. (and be on a Nintendo system for the first time since Banjo-Pilot for the Gameboy Advance), I highly doubt that it will happen. True, Nintendo and Microsoft are on good relations with each other (what with that commercial for Minecraft they made saying how much fun cross-platforming is between them), and Phil Spencer has said on multiple occasions that he'd be down for the bear and bird to be playable in Super Smash Bros., and the cut Rare content may seem to imply that it may happen. However, there hasn't been a new Banjo-Kazooie game released since 2008 with Nuts & Bolts for the Xbox 360. Rare Replay, while containing three of the bear and bird's adventures on one disc for the Xbox One, doesn't count, and Microsoft doesn't seem to even acknowledge the two Game Boy Advance games either (though that could be due to Nintendo possibly owning the rights to those games, I don't know). Their 20th anniversary had come and gone with no fanfare whatsoever, and nary a whisper nor a rumor of a new game for the duo have even surfaced; not even an acknowledgement from Microsoft themselves on the occasion. Another reason would be that some of the younger fans of Super Smash Bros. may not even know who Banjo and Kazooie are, given their obscure status in today's video game culture. Even if they got in…why would Microsoft want to promote a franchise that they don't even bother with at all? From a business perspective, there'd be no point and both Nintendo and Microsoft wouldn't have much to gain other than to make a niche crowd of fans happy. Then again, Nintendo has had characters from their own dead franchises in Super Smash Bros. more often than in their own games, so who am I to judge?

I'm firmly in the camp that Spirits don't deconfirm a character's chances of being playable in future DLC, but for the sake of argument, I've chosen my own picks of characters that aren't represented as Spirits, Mii Fighter costumes, or Assist Trophies:
    - Fire Emblem: Three Houses Rep - Yes, I understand the frustration. True, we would have eight Fire Emblem characters represented in Ultimate if this were to happen. Unfortunately, many people who have vented their frustration need to understand this from a business perspective; this isn't the first time Nintendo has done something like this. Corrin was added in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U as DLC partly to promote Fire Emblem Fates, and Roy was added in Melee to promote his Fire Emblem game on the Game Boy Advance. If it makes those who hate this decision feel any better, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has NINE characters from Super Mario, SIX characters from Legend of Zelda, and TEN characters from Pokémon (if we have Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon count as individual characters). See guys, Fire Emblem isn't the only franchise that's overrepresented!
    - Heihachi from Tekken - Heihachi Mishima is more or less the mascot for the Tekken series, and as such, he is the mostly likely out of all the numerous characters from Tekken who should appear as a playable fighter in SSBU. It should be obvious, since Namco-Bandai co-developed Smash 4 as well as Ultimate. With Capcom, Konami, and Sega having more than one character from their own franchises in Ultimate, it would be a good idea for Pac-Man to have some help from another Namco character.
    - Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive - You'd think that with characters from Konami, Sega, Capcom, Square-Enix, and Namco (among a few others), there would be a representative hailing from Koei-Tecmo, aside from Yuri Kozukata from Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water (who is an Assist Trophy, mind you). Like some of the third-party franchises featured in Super Smash Bros., the Ninja Gaiden series had its start with Nintendo on the Nintendo Entertainment System, with three awesome yet difficult platforming games.
    - Gen VIII Pokemon Rep - My guess is that it'll either be one of the starter's final forms (probably the Grass-type, since we need to even out Incineroar and Greninja), or maybe a Pokemon from the upcoming Gen VIII games that may gain enough popularity to become a DLC fighter.
    - Doom Slayer - Screw it, I'm putting the Doom Slayer down as the wild card here. Doom doesn't seem to be that well-known in Japan, but it is recognized as one of the most influential video games in history. Doom 2016, Skyrim, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, and the upcoming Doom Eternal all being released on the Nintendo Switch prove that Bethesda is sticking around with Nintendo, so the two companies are on very good relations with each other. If that news article you posted is any indication, then the Doom Slayer in Super Smash Bros. may not sound so farfetched after all! :lol  After all, we've had Snake and Bayonetta from M-rated games show up in Smash, so Doom Slayer may not stand out so much either.

EDIT: Made a mistake counting how many reps from Pokemon there are in Ultimate. DERP!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  4. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    I can't wait until next when I start playing and can finally join the topics of the spoiler variety. Until then, repeat last post.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Fun titbit: A recent interview with Sakurai reveals, interestingly enough, that Palutena and Bayonetta are also considered to be capable of surviving/escaping Galeem's assault.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fallout

Fallout crack pipes needles pcp and fast cars

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    had a dream last night that i got the finally play the game and discovered geno and rowlet were playable. geno was abnormally tall and skinny. rowlet and incineroar's character cinematic was incineroar getting in a car only for it to explode, then panning up to rowlet watching from a building, implying rowlet was trying to kill incineroar

• Like Like x 1
  7. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

To be fair, I think the main problem with all that FE rep is that the characters all revolve around the same weapon style and stylistic look. Robin and Corrin are the only two that mix it up beyond plain sword fighting, and they still use swords. The Mario and Pokémon characters are much more diverse; Luigi is more distinct from Mario than Roy is from Marth, Bowser and Bowser Jr change it up from moustache men and princesses, and Pokémon varies from puffballs to psychic abominations to a wrestling tiger (plus, well, Mario and Pokémon are gaming's highest-grossing juggernauts, so it's only fitting they have the most characters). If Fire Emblem had some axe/lance users in the fray, I'd wager there'd be less complaint.

Someone else pointed out that Legend of Zelda has a similar problem in that three out of six characters are Link, all of whom use the same gear despite each incarnation having differing weapons. He's Link, that's Link, there's Link! Are there any other Links I should know about?!

Well you can make that colour-scheme work if the male Hunter wears Rathalos armour (red, blue, silver, dreadking) and the female Hunter wears Rathian armour (green, pink, gold, dreadqueen). Fits the differing armour trend, not too difficult to make since Rath armour is fairly similar.

Personally, I'd think it'd be more delightful to have the Monster Hunter rep be one of the cats, a Palico/Prowler. All their funky gadgets, their cat puns, knowing they're still capable of fighting elder dragons, that'd so much fun :D 

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  8. marvel b

News Credits:
    i'd blame these for the rowlet bits.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

My picks from that would be:

-Jack Frost (with possibly Pyro Jack as a team up fighter)
    -Monster Hunter
    -Fire Emblem Rep (Most likely Edelgard to add more females to the FE roster as well as promote the new game)
    -Bango & Kazooie
    -Someone who isn't on that.

10. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

wait what
    Style Savvy content was going to be in the game and got cut? feels bad man :c

11. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy The Irredeemable Ant-Man

Have you ever noticed how spoiled smash players are? They act like assholes when their favorite character isn't in the game. I may of never asked for Ridley, K. Rool, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant. But they look cool to the point I don't care if Shadow, Rayman, Bandana Waddle Dee, and Waluigi. The new characters look so unique! I like that this game has interesting choices. We need to learn to appreciate unexpected characters with unique movesets!

The only one I really don't care about is Isabelle. I don't dislike her or the game she comes from. She just doesn't interest me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. marvel b

News Credits:
    we live in the spoiled generation. sure, there's a few characters i wanted before a few we got, but in the end, it doesn't matter. imma smash. becky gonna smash. everyone gonna smash.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「私は眠い」

News Credits:
    There are assets for a stage and a fighter from Style Savvy it seems.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. marvel b

News Credits:
    *not sure to include this as spoiler or not*
    more importantly.....how?!?! is this like a Wii Fit Trainer thing where the savvy throws clothes or something?!
    i can't wait until i see the veteran characters that weren't in Wii U/DLC characters that didn't get PalGuides. *keep them away from here, though. i wanna see them in person*

• Like Like x 1
  16. unsnaggedtea76

unsnaggedtea76 Well-Known Member

So apparently, they censored Mythra from Xenoblade 2.

Now I should spoiler tab that, but the Xenoblade 2 game has already released an update making the censored costume available as equipment.

• Like Like x 1
  17. marvel b

News Credits:
    not too surprising to me, since they cut the tharja trophy from the 3ds one completely.

18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Crazy like the Fox

Without going into spoilers, about how long is 'World of Light' going to take to complete, if that's even known at this point?

All the updates I get when I get the chance to play more BOTW take under five minutes to install and reboot the system so this seems more like a hotfix. Which is perfectly acceptable.

I'm hoping they at least explain what the actual fuck Galeem is or at least what he/it wants in WoL. One of the biggest problems I had with Subspace Embassy was the fact it was never explained what exactly was the motivation for Ganondorf, Bowser, and Wario trying to rip the world apart for 'Master Hand'/Tabuu. Ganondorf betrays Bowser and Ganondorf presents himself...but for what?

19. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Ganondorf, King of Evil, is aiming to usurp Master Hand once the takeover is complete. Bowser, who alternates between universal dominion and playing tennis with his nemesis, is happy to help a greater power provided he gets a slice of the pie. Wario is just an asshole.

They mentioned back after Brawl that there were going to be more cutscenes that better explained some of Subspace's other details (including how Dedede learned about Tabuu and created those badges, how MK lost the Halberd, etc), but time was getting on and they needed to make some cuts.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Just what I was hoping wouldn't happen. Release at midnight. Meaning I have to wait in a long line for the new SSB Amiibos.