Customs: Super durable clear coat

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Snaku, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm working on a 3d printed Soundwave phone case. It's nearing completion but, since it's a phone case, I'll going to need it to be able to take a lot of abuse without losing paint. What's a good clear coat that will go on crystal clear (no yellowing), thick, smooth, will have no trouble sticking to play plastic, polycarbonate, and enamel spray paint, and can take a beating without chipping?

I tried xtc 3d (an epoxy meant for filling in layer lines on 3d prints) but I can't get it to go on smoothly enough.

2. LizardbotHero

LizardbotHero I am a warrior

Ebay:
    I’m sure some others will have better ideas, but I’ve used automotive clear coat on toys and it seems to hold up really well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

4. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks. I'll look into that. Seems like there's a pretty good chance it could be durable enough.

I love future and I use it all the time but I don't think it would stand up to being repeatedly shoved in and out of my pocket and otherwise subjected to rough handling like a phone case would be. I dunno though - I've never really stress tested it nor have I put it on really thick. I do know that it gets cloudy if you put on more than a few light coats though.

I do appreciate the link to that thread though. I'd forgotten that it could be used as a tint for clear plastic if you thin it enough.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  5. thebigdb

thebigdb Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I’ve only started to work with this… but there’s a paint hardener that they use either directly in the paint layer itself… or the clear coat on top of that for Hot Wheels restoration… & with what I’ve been playing around with it on seems to work pretty well. That might be a suggestion.

• Like Like x 1