Super 7 Transformers Ultimates

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Slender102, Jan 28, 2021.

1. kidbane

kidbane Well-Known Member

I have wondered if the Success of Super7 Ultimate's Thundercats and TMNT has a lot to due with the fact that they were building of of someone else work. Mattel started the Thundercats line, and Super7 continued it. And Super7 was making 7" versions of Playmates wildly popular TMNT line. Every other Ultimate's line has been short lived compared to those two (Disney and Simpsons were just canceled, and Power Rangers had most of a wave canceled).

When Super7 is left to their own, and not guided by others work, they seem to make some wonky design choices and character selection/release patterns.

2. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it has more to do with a starved customer base.

A large chunk of what they do by volume is apparently the music Ultimates.

They tried to target the fringiest and most starved segments of Disney and Simpsons fandom.

It also wasn't S7's financial decision to end those lines.

Disney wanted them to do more mainstream stuff at higher volume and S7 wanted to do low volume cult stuff. Disney pulled the license essentially over that because the royalties were considered too low.

Whereas S7's whole approach is essentially fringe low run stuff.

• Like Like x 4
  3. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    I'm not sure I follow the difference between TMNT/Thundercats and everyone else. Are you saying Mattel/Playmates had a hand in the literal toy designs? I think it's very possible they simply hit the limit of their reach in terms of what people wanted.

TMNT and Thundercats were hungrier markets, where as Disney, Simpsons, WWE, PR etc just didn't have that same reach outside their first party offerings.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thylacine2000

Thylacine2000 Well-Known Member

With Thundercats and Silverhawks, it was S7 or more of the uninterrupted nothing forever. Simpsons and Disney fans don't need to settle.

• Like Like x 1
  5. That guy named storm

That guy named storm Professional plastic muncher

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Genuine question

When the fuck was wave four announced???

6. AcademyofDrX

AcademyofDrX BM & IDW2 apologist, team clear windows

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    June 2022

7. That guy named storm

That guy named storm Professional plastic muncher

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    ZHME5xowPUGTiUcXaoVdrnm8PUq2zTxRir-Bc0eMyjQ.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. kidbane

kidbane Well-Known Member

Mattel made several waves of Thundercats and then stopped. Super7 picked up where Mattel stopped. They continued with Mattel's designs. In fact Super7's first wave was a re-issue of what Mattel had already released.

As far as TMNT, they are based on Playmates vintage figures. Just larger and with more articulation. There are only a few figures they have released so far that are not.

• Like Like x 1
  9. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Which could also explain their popularity and success compared to other Super7 Ultimate offerings. There is no equivalent to what Super7 is doing for either. This could be because of licensing agreements being torn between Playmates and Nick. NECA is off doing cartoon (and comics) based figures while Super7 is sticking strictly to toyline.

But Transformers, WWE, etc, all have successful existing lines for what people want. There's no niche they fill that isn't already covered. Super7 Power Rangers were just more expensive versions of what Hasbro was doing with Lightning Collection, and while that's dead there's nobody clamoring for 7" MMPR. They'd be better off continuing down the path of Zords and monsters that Hasbro didn't do a ton of at that scale.

10. THE-TRANSFORMER

THE-TRANSFORMER Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Super7 own Silverhawks, so I guess they don't have to pay royalties with them.

The way they pump out Thundercats, you'd have to imagine they're their best sellers.

The TMNT stuff was originally based off the playmates, however I believe they were told to stop and come up with their own deigns... I could be wrong there, but that's how I remember/interpret.

I loved their Robin Hood figures. They were excellent.

I really do hope they continue with their Transformers. Apart from a couple of misses either in design or character selection, I've been pretty happy.

I'd just like a few more characters either from Action Masters, or the cartoon/comics that didn't or is unlikely to get a toy. Centurion robot from the Vector Sigma episodes? Heck yeah!

Also, Why haven't they given us a Super Cyborg of a Pretender yet? The ones where they pull the front off to show the inner workings. For a Pretender - pull the front off to show the inner robot... pull the inner front off to show inner...er workings. It'd be amazing. Bludgeon and Thunderwing would sell like hotcakes.

11. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    IIRC they made one wave of Thundercats and the SDCC two pack of the kittens. S7 improved on the 4 Mattel did first (obviously they did cost more) and has done every figure since. Their kittens are different than Mattel's.

I imagine if we see more TF characters it will be some popular characters mixed in with something obscure.

12. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They thought they owned Silverhawks. Then WB said they didn't and they started paying WB.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
    yeah everything else had cheaper and superior options

even transformers and g.i. joe; classified and wfc-legacy are much better constructed, and now we have yolopark for the people who only like non-transforming ones.

also s7 never really fixed their qc issues. i'm still seeing tmnt with loose as hell hips

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I think the RED version looks way better tbh.

IMG_0029.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  15. THE-TRANSFORMER

THE-TRANSFORMER Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh wow, I hadn't heard that development.

Thanks for the info.

16. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At first I wanted that Bludgeon, figuring it's the closest I will every get to own his articulated G1 shell. But the more I see of it, the shittier it looks, and simply not worth the silly nilly price they ask for it. Not helping is also everything I hear about loose joints and crappy articulation. Maybe if I ever find it at discount, but then again it's not gonna work with any other Transformers on my shelf anyway. So I guess I'll just continue to wait for a proper one.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  17. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    IMG_0761.jpeg

The articulation is pretty bad, but I enjoy having it displayed with Legacy Bludgeon and it does look better in-hand.

Short of having a hollow interior for a smaller robot, aesthetically it doesn’t get any more G1 Bludgeon pretender shell than that?

I thought I saw go as low as like ~$30 basically everywhere through the holidays, and it is currently $43.99 on BBTS:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/172513

• Like Like x 7
  18. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Super7: Thundercracker? Skywarp? Never heard of them. Here, have a third Starscream and Megatron variant instead.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I don't know about you but I mostly get ReActions on clearance or sale (or if it's something that's unique, like Toy-Unicron and even that I got at sale). Most Ultimates seem to be generally around $30 on Amazon.

20. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

In all honesty, I was searching for a review of Generation 2 Megatron.

I would also like them at some future point, to tackle Laser Rod Optimus Prime.