Super 7 Transformers Ultimates

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Slender102, Jan 28, 2021.

1. barfortmax

barfortmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMG_0580.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. WatermelonSpectacles1

WatermelonSpectacles1 Average Beast Wars Megatron Enjoyer

News Credits:
    Ugh, these figures just don't fit with any of my other displays. Hopefully they do more pretender shells so at least they can go together

3. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you!

They’re way too frickin’ big and won’t fit with my display. Alas… Hopefully the Mayhem Bludgeon will be more G1 toy styled.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    The tragedy is this line is perfect for toys that wouldn't work as "transforming" figures (Action Masters and Pretender shells), and they even botch those.

I rarely see these things marked as sold out on BBTS. Now if these were of high quality like other collector-oriented premium figures (such as Figuarts, Yamaguchi, Figma, Storm Collectibles, etc.) that would be one thing. But the sculpts end up being very mid and from what people report, articulation is not what you'd expect for $50 a pop. There's a market for Transformers that are focused on pose-ability at the cost of actually converting, but no one's hit the sweet spot yet.

• Like Like x 4
  5. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    I\'ve been burned by Ultimates before but Soundwave is looking good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Their margins have to be insane. They have to profit ridiculously from one figure. I reckon even on steep discount they're still a profit so if they move a bunch at full price and most of them at comical discount, they're still doing fine.

• Like Like x 2
  7. AcademyofDrX

AcademyofDrX BM & IDW2 apologist, team clear windows

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I see this sentiment in this thread a lot and it doesn't make any sense to me. The "high quality collector lines" mentioned are all very like each other, closer to 1/12 than 1/10, with very high part counts, and prioritizing articulation. Storm figures routinely hit twice the cost of Ultimates. They're very different kinds of products from Ultimates, and Ultimates aren't trying to have feature-parity with those. There isn't just one type of universally good toy style that every toy should try to be. Super7 is catering to a different collector type, which makes sense, since they're the same company that makes ReAction.

I don't blame anyone for not liking these, and there are criticisms I agree with like joints that are often too loose. But if what you're looking for is Figuarts, then Ultimates aren't for you, and they were never trying to be. It's apples and oranges.

8. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The other black repaint

News Credits:
    That’s fair, but I still don’t know who the target audience is for Ultimates. There are those who like transforming toys and those who like high-end articulated figures, but I’m not sure how many people would be in a demographic wanting non-transforming mid figures.

As I’ve said before, I have amazing figures from Ultimates Thundercats and TNMT, but the Transformers line isn’t delivering those quality sculpts and articulation.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Super7 hasn't discounted anything more than around $5 a pop woth coupon codes.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mike Lundberg

Mike Lundberg Well-Known Member

Well, I would be interested in non-transforming Transformers if they were actually 100% accurate depictions of the Sunbow animation models with decent articulation. Unfortunately, the sculpts and attention to detail in this line is so bad, I quit after getting Prime and ghost Starscream.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is a thoughtful analysis. That doesn't really justify the issues the figures have though. The QC and senseless design choices are what really get to me, and that reaches back to their MOTU Ultimates.

• Like Like x 3
  12. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    It reminds me of the ReAction stuff. I have no idea who the market is...but there must be one because it just keeps going as Hasbro fails to launch any successful version themselves (I think Star Wars is the last hold-out and that's probably because it's STAR WARS).

So it must be successful enough where Super7 can run the line on their own with just the license but not successful enough that Hasbro can spinoff and do it themselves as a subline.

I wonder if it's because TMNT and Thundercats are getting way more support from buyers. Look at how they've been able to put out massive vehicles for both of those, and soon a base for Thundercats.

Meanwhile Joe, PR, and TF haven't had quite the same success, so they don't invest quite as much and still see some return. Meanwhile, like ReAction, Hasbro is unable to replicate the success of TF action figures in that style of figure so they let Super7 run with it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mike Lundberg

Mike Lundberg Well-Known Member

I'd been waiting to say this too. With all the re-paints and last couple of waves of less than 4 figures (not to mention no upcoming waves announced), it feels like this line is finished.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The other black repaint

News Credits:
    E-tailers are quickly and regularly discounting them down to 50% off. So the wholesale price must allow quite a profit margin. One would imagine similar profit for Super7.

• Like Like x 2
  15. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Or these guys are quickly becoming another Funko and spreading themselves too thin, too quickly.

They overestimated the market and now they're trying to put the genie back in the bottle.

Which could be why Hasbro gave them the license. Let them be on the hook if the bottom falls out. Hasbro didn't see the retro style as a broad enough trend outside a few of their franchises so why waste any money on it as first party.

• Like Like x 3
  16. AcademyofDrX

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm pretty sure their primary audience isn't Transformers fans who like other brands too, it's fans of other brands who also like Transformers too. They're probably a lot more normie than anyone here. Funko and ReAction are very license-heavy and have licenses well beyond toy brands and nerd media. If you're someone who is more into those products, maybe you want a retro reissue Optimus or a handful of Generations figures, but maybe an Ultimates figure is going to better fit with everything else on those shelves. I try to keep this in mind a lot: if I can't figure out who something is for, it's definitely not for me, and it's probably for someone I don't know rather than someone who doesn't exist.

OTOH, there are clearly major misses with Ultimates lately. Their Disney and Simpsons product didn't move and those should be slam dunks. They have two or three brands that are clearly overperforming relative to the others, and it may have been a mistake to generalize a product line and its core design features across so many disparate franchises. With all that said, I do still feel like Ultimates do something no one else does, and I value that, even when it's not in my top tier.

• Like Like x 3
  17. AcademyofDrX

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Like @RodimusRex said, the major industry disruption for consumers and supply chains over the last few years meant many toy companies made big mistakes with respect to meeting demand. And yes, Hasbro focuses on not just specific franchises but also specific product types, and if someone wants to do something else, that's on them. They'll take the license fee but otherwise it's not their problem. Just look at 1/18 Joes, with two other licensees in that space.

• Like Like x 1
  18. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    I think you hit the nail on the head here. Their audience isn't the same as it is for the audience that buys mass retail Transformers. That's also why in their G.I. Joe line characters like Destro, Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes, and Baroness sell way more than anyone else.

Characters like Optimus, Starscream, Megatron, and Soundwave probably sold very well for S7. While I'm guessing everyone else is a whole lot less even if they are the ones typical TF fans find interesting.

As far as the figures themselves, I have them all and enjoy the following as action figures.
    - Ghost Starscream
    - Alligatorcon
    - G2 Megatron
    - Tarn
    - Wreck-Gar
    - Starscream
    - Soundwave

Banzai-Tron looks good but doesn't work well as an action figure.

• Like Like x 2
  19. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think there's any significant wholesale price break.

I don't know about EE or BBTS but little guys pay around $50 each.

These are likely being sold at steep losses due to overordering.

20 of these will clog warehouse space that could go to something more profitable and many etailers are hurting for cash enough to eat a loss right now.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    About the only other option for super fancy ultra premium TF toys is the Furai stuff...but that runs into the hundreds of dollars and is an acquired taste (they're either heavily stylized or based on IDW). I have to imagine this niche is hard to sell to, given that TMNT/Thundercats/the various fighting game franchises had characters that didn't transform anyway.