Super 7 Transformers Ultimates

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Slender102, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    The continued insistence on making toys of dead Optimus is becoming a running joke. I admire the commitment to the bit.

• Like Like x 3
  2. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    Freaking yikes. These are way too expensive to look this bad.

• Like Like x 6
  3. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    The heads look awful. Why not aim for actually looking like the characters in the movie instead of a bad frame of animation in a throwaway episode?
    2164B310-5905-4B16-901F-400D684BF83C.jpeg F06C5E06-69B0-4D7D-8E21-9C9131F782F7.jpeg

Super7 has good sculptors, so wtf happened?

• Like Like x 7
  4. Johntimus Prime

News Credits:
    You know it's bad when the toys that cost half this much - R.E.D. - have superior facial sculpts.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, Super 7. For one thing, they're like the Sears of toy makers- list everything at premium prices to get the initial wave of people that have to buy them right away but eventually have things go on sale. I mean, Hasbro has devolved to that to. Maybe someone should tell them Sears ain't doing so good? But anyways, in modern toy collecting I haven't seen a company try to sell collector oriented toys with such a lack of care or fine tuning. Bad sculpting? Check. Hindered articulation? Check check. Loose joints? Super check. Incorrect coloring? Super duper check. Other random QC issues? Super 7 check. I've never had an Ultimates figure feel like it was worth their initial asking price.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Johntimus Prime

News Credits:
    I dread to think of what their Thundercats or Silver Hawks toys are like. $400 for that tank? Or $500 for their Turtles Party Van? Good Lord.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought their Quicksilver on sale over the holidays at $30, and the lack of care in the product is a wonder. The head joint's loose, the ab crunch doesn't crunch, the feet are almost too loose to stand, the human head is way too big, the bird has curled talon feet meant to look like it grabs onto something but it can't. It took forever to come out and yet still feels like a rush job that should retail for no more than $25. Their TMNT figures are a bit better, and their Joe figures are actually decent... but again only on sale.

I had their first wave of TF figures pre-ordered, but once they started reaching reviewers and I could see how hindered all the articulation was, I canceled. Transformers have so many options there is no reason to pay big for subpar products. Anyways, I keep checking them, but nothing new looks to convince me otherwise.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    we got Ghost Starscream on sale for £12 and I didn't even think he was worth that, barely any articulation, cheap feeling plastic, bad construction.. Bludgeon looks great tho

• Like Like x 2
  9. Explosion_Rex

Explosion_Rex Well-Known Member

I got Bonzai-Tron and Bombshell a while ago for around $15. That's all I'd be willing to pay for any of these.

• Like Like x 3
  10. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now that I have bought Bombshell and Banzai-Tron (as they were heavily discounted) I have to say, the quality of these figures is not really good. They seem to all be based on a He-Man torso bodytype engineering, with the specific TF parts added on top, which means they are bulky and articulation is limited. Banzai-Tron has an ab crunch but it barely matters. Also his ankle tilt is minimal so posing is honestly, better on most Legacy figures than on these guys. They all feel overly bulky and are top-heavy. The accessories were often bent, and it is a terrible shame that the AM partners are basically one-piece, Razor-Sharp has no moving parts at all, not even his pincers and legs move, nor can he pop out his gun, this would not have been hard to engineer...

Yeah, 55$ or what is the official price? I only got Banzai-Tron because he was down to 20$ and Bombshell was 35$ or so. Even so, I think if Hasbro ever does an official Banzai-Tron, I am going to sell this

• Like Like x 2
  11. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone have a pic of Bludgon next to ER Optimus?

12. Mercurius

Mercurius Lights your darkest hour

I\'m continually surprised that Super 7 is still in business. I\'ve never seen one of their \"Ultimates\' toys in my local store and thought it looked even remotely good. They look like cheap, Dollar-store plastic with chunky articulation and proportions. And their prices are insane. My local store has tons of them on their shelves and I really wish they\'d stop wasting their inventory dollar on a losing product. 

• Like Like x 2
  13. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Selling oddities in a shack. In the woods.

Is there a market for non-converting TFs?

There seems to be a weird paradox happening... Fans ask for complicated transformations (I prefer simple), but they also don't want to bother transforming their toys, and so opt for figures like these. :banghead: 

It's like complaining that a cake tastes bad, but then displaying it sealed (because you had no intention of eating it). :sly: 

Imma agree with everyone else on the ludicrous pricing for Super7 figs... but I'm also not impressed with these figures, when some simple transformation gimmick could enhance their appeal. In a Transformers toy line.

14. AcademyofDrX

AcademyofDrX BM & IDW2 apologist, team clear windows

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    As people point out all the time, with very limited exceptions, Hasbro doesn't generally allow licensees to feature conversions in their toys.

• Like Like x 2
  15. rendsora

rendsora Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes there is. Hence that's why companies like Yolopark is good at doing it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Whovastron

Whovastron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can’t wait for Bludgeon to get reduced to £13 like Banzai-Tron did.
    As if they originally wanted £75 for that, the box is more impressive than the figure

• Like Like x 1
  17. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean, they have no control over retailers overordering and selling at a loss.

Most small retailers paid around $50 for these and sold at a loss when they discounted because they had like 20 of everything. A lot of what happened was that demand shot up by like 5x diring the pandemic and these lines by Super7 had aftermarket prices over $100. Retailers loaded up on everything. Super7 put old stuff back into production. And the entire toy market crashed in the 18 months it took these to ship with 5-6 waves of all Super7 lines being dramatically overproduced.

I know one of their designers said he was shopping the sales because he couldn't get the figures that cheap as a senior Super7 employee at an employee discount.

These were never meant (or priced) around moving more than 5000 units or so. And some figures ended up with runs 5x or more that because of the absolute pandemic frenzy.

I bought a 1960s key comic just before the pandemic for $500. It was selling for $4000 or so during the pandemic and I tried to get $5000. Now it goes for $1500.

I don't see nearly enough folks acknowledge the insane collectibles bubble or how Hasbro and Mattel product was hitting shelves new at 50-70% off throughout 2023.

I think these are poorly designed Transformers figures and I say that as a huge fan of the Silverhawks, Thundercats, and TMNT lines.

I think for some weird reason, people are being especially hard on Super7 regarding product and price when their products are essentially the same expensive mixed bag they were 3 years ago. The latest waves are selling through at full price a lot of places and you might be able to get $5-10 off but MOST of their releases aren't available for the $15-30 we saw for awhile and probably won't be again because people stopped over ordering these with intent to resell.

I think S7 definitely overextended for awhile but I think the idea was always that their QC troubles were part of their small runs and limited releases and they had the idea to grow their way into something closer to NECA sized by going nuts with licenses, which would allow them to deliver faster and make better product. They didn't successfully grow and ended up contracting but they're starting to level out.

I think S7's Transformers ReAction are better sculpted than Transformers Ultimates. The TF Ultimates were done by the guy who did a lot of their Super Shogun style figures and I just don't think it worked. Ironically, I think their $85 8" Godzilla Shogun Ultimates landed much better with those collectors. But they laid off that guy a year ago and have just been working through his work. If you noticed, they haven't been putting more Transformers Ultimates up for preorder. Most of their lines stay 3-4 waves ahead of what's shipping on preorders because of the 12-18 month timelines that are typical.

I kind of expect them to try to finish it out with Skywarp, Thundercracker, and Nemesis Prime or something. Maybe a Soundblaster convention item.

But I think their TF Ultimates are essentially dead. I've heard their Hasbro license isn't brand specific and is anything Hasbro 100% owns. (But excludes stuff where there's a behind the scenes 95%/5% split or whatever.) I'd hope they try My Pet Monster Ultimates or something. Their forte is really stuff that barely 3000 people want to begin with.

I've heard mixed stuff on Visionaries, MASK, and Inhumanoids being 100% Hasbro. I think some of that stuff is at least partially split with R&D companies and some is in dispute with both Hasbro and the designers claiming full ownership (but nobody wants to press it in court or by investing money into product unless there's movie level money to be made). At least one of those, I think Hasbro both claims to own and still pays the other party a small token licensing fee for just to keep litigation from happening.

I wouldn't rule out TF product in general since it's in the larger licensing agreement but I don't think S7 is going to do new TF Ultimates tooling unless it's essentially a complete reboot of the line like Beast Wars or something or a cool one off like Unicron.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They made it to a wave 4?

Well damn.

19. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wave 4 was up for order before most people had wave 1.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Makes sense, this is Super7 after all.

• Like Like x 3