Heavy/Scratch: Sup. Devs: More movie accurate...and closer to SCALE

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Janeails22x, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    Actually they are dark gray with a black wash, dry brushed lighter gray, then dusted with a sand color. They are not green at all. There is an illusion in the photo that make them look green on camera, but in person, are different. My thing is that tires, when they are worn and dirty, are never black. They are always gray, or lighter, depending on sun bleaching.. If you pause the devastator scene on long haul, his tires are very gray. Same with overload. If this were a clean, polished, brand new vehicle, then they would be black. Sucks they look green to you in the photo, but my cameras are just not coloring things right.

2. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Pro!

3. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    Overload Teaser....

:D :D :D 

I know...I'm a big jerk! But I have to admit... it's a little fun to tease...

Attached Files:

4. me!!

me!! hey it's me.

:drool:  ! Stop Teasing us :D  !!!

5. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    DAMN YOU JANEAILS! Show us Overload you teasing bastard!

6. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    [​IMG]

7. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    Hahahaha!! I'm sorry. I had to. Hopefully I didn't "overload" you with anticipation! *Buh-dum-ching*

I know Overload is highly anticipated and I personally couldn't wait to post SOMETHING until tomorrow.

Overload is a figure that not too many people have tackled. IMHO, it came out great. I'm happy with it. Like I said before, I did have paint issues with him, but I made it work. Though, because of some of those issues, Overload here is what will probably convince me never to sell it because I'm not sure someone else would be happy with the detail issues (paint rubbing and cracking at heavy wear areas, etc.). Maybe I'm nitpicking, especially considering this will be a gestalt display wherever he resides. But I woul not feel comfortable letting it go to a paying collector knowing some of the "defects" that I know about.

Again, like Long Haul,, he came out a little darker than I had planned, but Devastator will be better off for it! I have decided that the same color red for the both sets of shoulder pads would have been a sea of red and may have looked...weird.

I just have to put the sand down tomorrow and get my photo "hut" set up and he will be fully revealed tomorrow!

8. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    I Love this work so much!

9. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This is truly a masterpiece Devastator. Beautiful work man.

10. Wars

Wars I Ate The WHOLE Plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Stop teasing us with you're sinister blurry pictures! We must see Overload Now!

11. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    Thanks, man! I'm a little partial to it as well. :) 

Thanks. If it wasn't for all the inspiration here in radicons I would have never done this.

This afternoon, I promise! Stay tuned. I even took photos from the movie to show some of the details I put in.

12. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WOW, this is turning out fabulously, amazing mods and beautiful paint/finish work!

13. Sideways77

Sideways77 useless lesbian

News Credits:
    Overload looks great. The dirt affect looks great. So it's just Scavenger and Mixmaster left?

14. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    UPDATE 3/13/11: OVERLOAD!
    Here he is, as promised. Hope everyone likes it! I sure do and I was so excited to see a toy of this elusive character come to life. Yes, I beat the snot out of him, and he is dirtier than the movie, but that is the aesthetic I am going for....if you couldn't tell by now.

Overload is a figure that not too many people have tackled. IMHO, it came out great. I'm happy with it. Like I said before, I did have paint issues with him, but I made it work. Though, because of some of those issues, Overload here is what will probably convince me never to sell it because I'm not sure someone else would be happy with the detail issues.

Again, like Long Haul, he came out a little darker than I had planned, but Devastator will be better off for it! I have decided that the same color red for the both sets of shoulder pads would have been a sea of red and may have looked...weird.

I have also attached some "reference" photos to jog memories of what he looked like in concept and in the movie.

"J605" is on the front, and for a split second in the movie, it appears on the trailer. I did not include the bed emptying hydraulics for specific reasons (namely clutter), which is why my version is a little more center and visible.

For some reason the "braces" on the sides of the trailer came out purplish is in the photos...but I assure you, they are the same red as everything else.

You like the hoses/wires?
    How about the Mud caked underneath and the smoke stack?
    All apart of the movie...

Please excuse the unpainted Devastator head...that will be the LAST part revealed... again, for good reason.

I tried differentiating Long Haul and Overload slightly to give them a different feel. The fencing was the "big" change. I neglected to cut his bumper sections down to match the movie, which now I kind of wish I did because it would further set the two apart. I still might do that. Depends on Gestalt aesthetics.

Enjoy!

Next up? Maybe I will have a "You Decide" option. Give me your feedback! Which would you like to see next?

Unfortunately, though, I have to take a small break because the Primer I use is no longer being produced (temporarily for some reason) and I am out. I am using Tamiya Surface Primer L for Plastics and Metals. If someone has some advice of what I could use for a substitute...I will be able to get this rocking again. Let me know!

Attached Files:

15. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Holy crap!!! I love him!!!

I would choose Mixmaster next.

16. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

That is epic. I love the fact that his head is hidden under the cab of the truck thingy. I know thats not very movie accurate since his head seemed to come out of the nose and cab of Mixmaster but that doesnt matter.
    And i doubt anyone would have any problems with the details or quality of work if you sold it. Youd earn a ton of money from this.
    May i ask how you painted the bits that look like dirty water has run down them? I love that effect.

17. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    :drool :drool :drool I think this might be the best one yet dude. Love all the small touches you gave it, and I for the life of me can't spot any issues with the paint. Absolutely stunning!

As for the next one? Hightower, definitely! I'm itching to see the complete arm. Though Mixmaster would be nice as well. Scavenger should be saved for last though, since that one feels like he'll be the single most amount of work and thus be a fitting grand finale for the project. I can't wait to see this thing complete!

18. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    you really need an insurance for this dude!!! :D 

19. darkpsi

darkpsi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolutely stunning! Your pieces keep getting better and better. The final combination to Devy will be beyond impressive. Keep at it!

20. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    Thanks! So, that's 1 for Mixmaster...

I appreciate it, Gari. I'm not sure about the money part. I would like to think so, but I just know how finicky it is. There are a lot of great, solid joints, like Overload's trailer. That Trailer alone comes a part into 9 (!) pieces. However, there are some areas that I am very nervous about (like the combining of the trailer halves to the Scavenger Shoulder pads.....very thin plastic). There are some areas on Overload, primarily the front wheel assembly where the paint is chipping from the transformation. Good news is that in both modes, that part is hidden. For the most part, that is the case around the whole figure.

As far as the "dirty water" effect? That's exactly what it is ;) . I dip the tip of brush into the paint (very little), then dunk it into a cup of water, apply to the figure, and let it run, or direct with the brush. If you want to layer it, just add or lessen the amount of paint. Works great! Thanks for liking hat part!

Thanks, Ra88! If you look, the paint issues are noticeable around the rivets. The paint is so thick that the sharp edges are gone leaving the rivets looking like zits, which makes it hard to allow the blacklining to flow into the crevasses. But even to that extent....I think he is my favorite as well.

And you vote for Hightower, and sort of Mixmaster :wink: . Right now, I'm leaning toward Hightower because if I do Mixmaster, then I will also feel as if I have to do the vortex grinder at the same time while I have the paint in the airbrush....which I am saving for last I think.

You aren't kidding. I've got some serious money wrapped into this thing. Probably near 200-250 bucks.

Thanks, darkpsi! Again, hearing this coming from someone who completed a Devastator figure to near perfection, I greatly appreciate it. It means a lot.