Heavy/Scratch: Sup. Devs: More movie accurate...and closer to SCALE

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Janeails22x, Oct 8, 2009.

1. ebay

ebay Well-Known Member

wow... this is so awesome.
    the mods done are just great.
    so are the detailings.

2. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

Can't believe I didn't spot this before, sheer genius!

Don't worry about the movie-innacuracy regarding specific parts/bots - the 'nice' thing about ROTF is the terrible editing/broken storyboard mean there's some flexibility in what is actually 'accurate'. Besides, a great toy is more important than duplicating the film's art.

I LOVE the little touches, like sand and damage effects. I'm curious about the painting techniques used. Alternating washes and drybrushing perhaps? Looks phenomenal that's for sure.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

3. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    Thanks everyone!

Skipjack is 60% done, just to keep everybody updated. I'm actually working on him right now :) .

4. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    UPDATE coming 9/12/10...Skipjack Pictures to be added by end of the Weekend, or earlier! Plus... I may include a Teaser shot of the Assembled Left Leg of Devastator...but it depends if your'e all good or not :) 

Do you guys want that? :drool: 

5. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I think an easier count would be, "Who doesn't want that?" :lol 

6. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Skipjack stays yellow huh? oh well.. Epic regardless.

7. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    Which color would be more appropriate? 5 of these things are going to be Yellow (4 Caterpillar yellow, and 1 Kobelco yellow). If Skipjack were to be any other color, he would not look right on the leg of Devastator. I am getting all of the Yellow out of the way before moving onto the others. Boring, I know, but it has to be done. :( 

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    I predict it will be absolutely spectacular when completed.

I am more than anxious.

9. Jolt Customs

Jolt Customs Seacon

cant wait to see more picks:drool: 

10. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    UPDATE 9/10/10!...Skipjack Pictures ADDED. Bonus... two shots of the Assembled Left Leg of Devastator also included!!! Take a look!

Sorry about the photos of the go around. The camera seemed to "dull" the brilliant deep yellows for some reason. I suck at photography. Wish I could be more consistent. When I finish this, I may hire some of you Radicons who take amazing photos to shoot my piece.

Take note of the Cybertronian symbols. Why? No real reason except that I think they are cool and I love that design aspect of the movie-verse.

Enjoy the photos. Skipjack is intentionally more dirty than the others to help separate the two dozers which are "technically" the same model. I will be starting on Crumblezone next, and I forsee him being a little less dirty, but more "used" and beat up.

One last thing.... I need opinions. I am playing with the idea of adding green "blood" leaking from the bullet holes. Being that Devs Eyes are green, I fear that green else where may detract away from the "Pop" of the eyes. I don't know. Lend me you thoughts.

I promised myself I would not post ANY gestalt/robot pics until I was finished, but I couldn't help myself and I have been dragging everyone along for almost a year in October. I should mention that I have not done the inside of the "toes" from Whiplash. Oh well. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  11. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Looking good! I'm not sure if green "blood" would work. I'd leave it as it is.

12. FattBoy94

FattBoy94 is playing "catch up"

I think the best color for "blood" would either be black (oil) or purple (energon).

13. Bort826TFWorld

Bort826TFWorld OOGA CHAKA

News Credits:
    OH MY GOD. THAT, is f**king ACE!!!

14. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    That is incredible. That's the only word that comes to mind. The detail you poured into this, dude...The wear and tear, the sand, the intense attention to detail, like the bit of red on the upper leg, just...Wow.

As for the damage: I think you're right about the green looking out of place, and I echo Fattboy's thoughts. I'd go for oil, though. For one the movie bots seem to bleed blue, not purple, but it could look out of place and contrast a bit with the green eyes. But most importantly, him bleeding oil will truly sell him as an engine of destruction!

Though I have to say, I'm not entirely sure how good bullet holes will look on it. I imagine that the final beast will already have a lot of wear and tear, and that might make it just a bit too busy. I could be wrong, though.

15. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    wait these are still from the movie right?????? that's how badass they are WHOOT!!! :D 

16. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You are doing a phenomenal job man, this is such a great project to follow and get all these awesome updates! Excellent, Excellent paint work too!

"I think the best color for "blood" would either be black (oil) or purple (energon) -- said by Fattboy94." <-- I agree with that!

17. Buzby74

Buzby74 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Oh my days! This is an awsome project. me like, like, like...

I cant wait to see finished result. Im hoping you star a new thread when he's done because there are so may pages to this one, you just get lost so easy...

Nice job so far, much better than anything Ive seen at this scale.

18. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    I agree. I tested it out.... and while the look of it by itself turned out great (looked like it was leaking coolant)... the green will not be "right" for the figure. I want the eyes to scream evil on a red backdrop and having green elsewhere will ruin that effect.

I love the oil idea.... but purple has caught my attention! I'm kinda digging that idea too. This is too hard!!!

Thanks, buddy!

Thanks Ra88! You've been following since the beginning and have always had such nice things to say.

There is actually a little more red on the other side of the leg to give it more of that "integrated look with Sceavenger". So glad you noticed that. It's something that I haven't seen very many (if any) radicons do on their combiners. I think it adds a touch of uniqueness to the project. Plus, it will make the transitions of color from limb to limb less harsh.

Yep! Supreme Devastator (and movie Devastator for that matter) deserved to be justified. While the toy is admittedly fun out of the box, he was fugly and grossly out of scale and missing a few key team members. He needed more. It is my goal to make this the Devastator figure we all wanted.

Son, you have been with me since the beginning too. I appreciate all the kind words and following.

Which damage fluid should I settle on???? I am leaning toward the black/brown to reduce the Busy-ness of the robot. Purple, while AWESOME, may not fit aesthetically. I'll play with it and see, I suppose.

I plan to take several vacation days off of work in at the end of September for this reason and this reason only..... FINISHING this THING! I have to get it done. I started cutting in October 2009. I cannot let this monstrosity go a full year unfinished. My wife is supportive of the idea to finish it. :) . SO with any luck, I will have it finished by October. That is a a lot of work, and I'm pushing myself into a corner again, but I have to set goals. Stay tuned!

19. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would go with the oil fluid damage (black/brown) because of the 'realism' factor of this custom man! It's going to be gorgeous through and through for sure!

About finishing it up by October, I have a thought on that, that I would 'very humbly' like to interject... You've taken your time on each figure so far and it has really, really paid off man - please don't rush this thing by a deadline. Instead finish it when you finish it (deadlines suck to race against if you know what I mean).

Pure, and I mean PURE bad ass project!

20. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Fluorescent/Neon paint app for blood? :D