Heavy/Scratch: Sunbow Masterpeice Metroplex - attempting the third citybot.....

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by TigerBlade, Mar 9, 2024.

1. SJW

SJW Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That shoulder and stack if you put it on your Fort Max is like putting a size 10 shoe on a 4 year old kid.

Your metroplex is going to be a big boy.

Is that the Bruticus foot/shin I see in that last photo from you?

• Like Like x 2
  2. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Thst made me lol

Max flopping around in his dad's shoes....amd yes, wip Sunbow Bruticus in toymak3r style from a friend too. He's getting printed alongside Metroplex so I'll keep adding his updates too. Altbough he'll be complete way before!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  3. neurotictim

neurotictim XTB and FT fanboy, coexisting with myself.

Welp, I think this thread has pushed me over the edge of buying another 3D printer. I had one years ago - Makerbot Replicator+ - and while it was great, eventually the proprietary nature of the software and parts got kind of aggravating, so I donated it.

Now I'm looking into printing a bunch of TF related stuff, and I wonder if any of you with more 3D printing experience have any thoughts on buying a Kobra Max 2 that's been refurbished. I'm not scared to spend money, but there's a significant difference in price. I like the build volume and being able to do big pieces in one run would be great, but if it's too much of a gamble I'll just buy new.

4. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I couldn't answer about a refurbished option, depends on the warranty I guess but the printer itself is what I bought last week and it's a monster. Now it's dialled in and I'm used to the anycubic slicer I absolutely adore it.

Its quick. REALLY quick, huge print bed, can remote print, monitor from your phone (via camera too if wanted), auto bed levelling and a magnetic pei sheet for easier print removals.

However, it's loud. I've had to print off a few mods to get it where I want it (which I can share if needed), and because of the speed and volume you go through pla at an insane rate. The footprint is also obscene, you'll need about 3ft square of space for it.

No regrets though, crazy how much these machines have come on and you'll see an even bigger jump in tech.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  5. neurotictim

Well, loud isn't a problem; it'll go in the garage, alongside my wife's composter and dehydrator and all the other various items that we have no other place for in the house proper. Same with footprint; I have a large workbench that gets very little use. I think I'm going to take the gamble on refurb; it's done by AnyCubic, so theoretically "good as new." We shall see. Definitely appreciate the input!

I've got one in my cart now, the only holdup being that I'm going out of town this weekend, so I think I'll wait to actually pull the trigger until I know I'll be home for delivery. It'll also give other folks time to chime in if they have anything to add that may sway me. But I foresee making enough off of prints to pay for itself within a few months, I'd bet.

6. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Marker hit! Right arm complete:

20240330_164104.jpg

FB_IMG_1711813077104.jpg

FB_IMG_1711808241481.jpg

FB_IMG_1711808266993.jpg

FB_IMG_1711808257358.jpg

FB_IMG_1711808246058.jpg

Need to do a bit of filler work on the shoulder cannon but for size references DX9 Omega Supreme is 23", Printformers Fortress Maximus is 47" and I'm 6ft.

It's gonna be huge.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    • Like Like x 13
  7. neurotictim

My god... and that's the arm to a 6' Metroplex?

This is when DX9 Omega Supreme looks like a Legends scale figure the most lol.

Side note, the Fort Max is scaled for FT Hannibal as the head?

• Like Like x 4
  8. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Not sure on exact overall size now but I'm guessing around 6ft, bigger if you include the cannons.

And yes, that Fort Max can accommodate Hannibal but I feel Hannibal is a bit undersized for the body personally

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  9. neurotictim

@TigerBlade got my Kobra 2 Max set up and running today, thanks for planting the idea lol.

20240405_165621.jpg

I could ask in the 3D printed thread but since we're here... I'm having problems already with getting PLA to adhere to the bed. It's AnyCubic filament, even. Got a couple of decent Benchies but some other stuff is failed pretty dramatically. Any recommendations?

20240405_215854.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Extruder looks too far from the bed to me. That layer should be fatter and pushed into the bed.

Firstly you may just need to adjust the z offset whilst it's printing. This slightly adjust the height of the nozzle and is an option on the screen whilst the print is ongoing. All printers are different but mine, for example, is -1.41. Just adjust up/down by 0.01mm till its just right. Try down on yours first till it makes a nice flat/fat pass.

I'd also make sure all the belts are tightened, in my research, they should be fully turned then released one full rotation. (Red knobs at the front and on the right)

Make sure the grub screws at the back of the machine next to the y axis motor are tight.

Make sure the extruder isn't wobbly on the rail. It should be snug but not too tight. The nut to tighten it is behind the bottom wheel of the 3.

The bed needs to be as flat as possible but this one is a bit more hands on than the rest. Either get a small spirit level and/or a right angle and make sure the main upright frame is at 90 degrees. You can push/pull it with the long diagonal rods that hold it steady from the rear. Finally, as long as your print bed isn't wobbly should be good. If it is wobbly there's one more step but it's not usual.

Some YT videos to help:

https://youtube.com/shorts/ILadaovRZOA?si=uRww7lEuTGZnjP5e

https://youtube.com/shorts/9ULxfndgCn8?si=9j1O1gjguk4ca3-2

And my biggest tip. Slow the print down. I was getting massive y axis layer shifts as it was just too damn fast and the massively acceleration between actually printing steps was slipping the belts. Running at 160ms now, halved all of the massive acceleration numbers and it's perfect. Fantastic quality too. Slower but worth it.

You could also try some of these settings on the slicer. One in particular helps that first layer:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  11. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Freaking amazing! This is gonna be a beast!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    It really is. Had a few design changes in how the upper left and right torso locks into the centre so reprinting that massive part. Last time I printed it I had to do it in sections due to layers shifting and I've glued it together to test fit. It ain't pretty so waiting till the new part is done to update.

13. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Big update!

I'll preface this with some context. Only the front half of the torso is printed. Essentially the same again needs doing for the rear which will solidify everything. As it stands everything is held together by half a point of contact yet it still stands there screaming 'come at me bro'.

Bodes well for when the rear is attached for stability!

Anyways. MP36, MP45, MP52, Toymak3r Devastator and Tetragon Forge Bruticus (WIP - based on Toymak3r Superion) for scale.

20240412_140539.jpg

This is insane. I'll get Fortress Maximus down off the shelf when the rear half of the torso and the left arm are in place. Those 23" combiners will barely reach his knees though by the end. Which means Starscream will be around the height of his feet.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    • Like Like x 15
  14. neurotictim

Size.gif

• Like Like x 7
  15. SJW

SJW Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Comparing Starscream with Plexy when looking at Starscream next to the citybot’s wrists/hands really does show how big your Plexy is. If you had DS seekers the size difference wouldn’t stand out so much as the Takara chug size seekers. ;) 

Fantastic work. The initial photo really does make your collection look like it is legends scaled.

Blink and it is easy to miss Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 2
  16. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Its gonna be beyond legends. As it stands he's a tad shorter than 3ft tall. The leg section is a bit longer so he's definitely hitting the 6ft mark to the head at a bare minimum. Over 7 ft with arm cannons. That's gonna make standard mp figures almost look like Micro figures.

As rough context, that Devastator & Bruticus are around titan Metroplex/Fort Max height. Maybe even a touch bigger.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

I don't know why, maybe because this is the image that stands out to me..
    b833f31fe0886e96cefbc8957fdf18ec62c3f1ee.jpg

..but seeing Bumblebee there for scale, makes Metroplex look small to me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    In that Scramble City episode he was absolutely humongous but he was also slightly different styled. You'll find different looking heights in multiple episodes in multiple seasons.

That said I'm happy with a Metroplex breaking 6ft in the s3 aesthetic. That's the one I fondly remember.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  19. SJW

SJW Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @TigerBlade

I’m impatiently waiting for the next update and photos from you :p . Any closer to completing the back of the top half?

As an old boss use to say to me, crackski onski. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  20. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Not started it yet lol

Been finishing off this guy:

FB_IMG_1713106078818.jpg

FB_IMG_1713106082811.jpg

I'm currently running off some test prints for new screen accurate back pack and smaller arms for Zeta Onslaught then I'll be back on it.

Gonna do the left arm next but that's gonna cost about £75 in pla lol

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    • Like Like x 9