Suicide Squad:Hell to Pay

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Achilles1943

Achilles1943 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder what zoom´s role will be in this ... I really liked him in flashpoint so I´m happy to see him again

• Like Like x 1
  2. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone watch this?

I watched this yesterday and found it enjoyable. I guess the animated features are getting more "edgy" with the nudity?

Also, I haven't read anything with Harley Quinn since Batman: HUSH. I guess after the Suicide Squad movie, she's become this tight short shorts sexpot? No longer the doofy assistant to Mr. J?

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    She's been that since the 2nd Arkham game long before the movie.

4. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

Watched it last night. Really liked it. Could see where others might pick it apart. As for me, I’ve not seen many DC ‘toons and am easily amused. The violence was great, but then again I dig anything where lotsa folk get wasted! The nudity wasn’t much and made no difference to me. Enjoyed seeing characters I thought would never make it to screen, or if they have, I had no clue. If you’re leary, do the redbox thing like I did. You’re only out a buck n change if it’s a disappointment, or if you’re like me, then you’ll score a cheap deal on some entertainment.

5. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dang, been out of it for awhile.

6. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    As for the assistant part, DC has been working hard over the past few years on keeping a distance from the Joker and developing her as a capable solo character. They probably figured that it wouldn't be good for a female character that was soaring in popularity with comic and general audiences be mainly known for staying in a abusive relationship.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    And it was stupid back then, too.

Maybe they should've picked a different character, then?

Because Harley was popular well before they forced this character change on her. Nobody had a problem with the abusive relationship before, because it was often handled very well and offered a unique dynamic. It made her somewhat tragic and more layered than the "lol I'm so random" sex object she is now. Now she's just insufferable and annoying.

I do find it funny that her being in an abusive relationship is a no-no, but her being sexualized to an eye-rolling extreme is A-okay.

• Like Like x 3
  8. GamerSlyRatchet

GamerSlyRatchet Well-Known Member

See, that's why I preferred Punch and Jewelee. They're both still clown-themed criminals and a couple, but without the baggage of the abuse.

Which also made what the movie did with them kinda sad and another desperate attempt at being edgy.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    She managed to make a name for herself alone too, she also had her friendship with Ivy, Mr. J. was of course her dream but an irrealistic dream - I love that page in the comic version of Mad Love of her thinking of settling down and raising kids with him. Both that story and how things ended as shown in Batman Beyond - Return of the Joker showed that Harley eventually moved on (I doubt the grandfather of her grandkids, the Dee-Dee twins, was the Joker).
    What I hate is how the New 52 version turned her into some blonde sex symbol bimbo who has to dress worse than most prostitutes. In TAS she had nothing but her face exposed, and she was far more sexy. It's a really immature way to try and turn her design more appealing to the masses. I like the Arkham games, but her design I am still not happy with. By the last game she barely even looks like a harlequin. The black/red dyed ponytails in the first one were better.

As for the movie, it was terrible. Cliche story, characters acting out of character (Waller would never care about her soul, she is motivated by duty and power, she would die thinking she did the right thing no matter how wrong)... Why would Vandal Savage even need the stupid card, guy is immortal not like Ra's, he can recover from any death. And tying all this to the stupid beginning of New 52 did not help at all.
    I could also predict right away who'll live and who will die. Bronze Tiger might as well should have started to talk about his yacht and retirement plans. And did poor Copperhead even HAD any lines? He certainly had no character beyond liking to freak out civilians. Killer Frost's powers are wildly random, sometimes she doesn't even need to be near people to just magically ... freeze the moisture in their bodies, I guess?
    This is so inferior to Arkham Asylum Suicide Squad, it was painful to watch. Mostly, because I was unaware this was still in the New 52 (why don't they kill this universe the same way DC comics already did years ago???) up until Zoom showed up...
    The callous way they killed off rather big names left and right (Suicide Squad stories usually kill off the super obscure small villains, not guys like Tobias Whale or Vandal Savage) reminded me of the previous Damian movie whose title I cannot even recall, where they killed off a dozen Batman villains in various stupid ways where they all cause their own deaths usually so Batman's "no kill" rule isn't besmirched. Y'know, the one with Abe Lincoln Mad Hatter and dialogue-less Firefly, Killer Moth and Walrus.

The whole movie felt deseperately edgy, like a Robot Chicken sketch. "See, we are killing off characters in gruesome ways, aren't we adult animation?"
    Why someone as smart as Vertigo would spout off his whole plan and then actually consider to spare Deadshot's life and NOT consider that maybe the omnipresent control freak Waller who implanted all sort of nanotech inside them CAN eavesdrop on them... is beyond me.
    Punch and Jewelee were a fun Bonnie and Clyde couple up until the really bloody and out of nowhere betrayal-murder. And how exactly was shooting someone in the head better than having their head explode? Both are pretty quick. If they wanted to show that Floyd has a heart, maybe he could have appealed to Waller not to kill her.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    A friend of mine gave me a copy of this, I haven't watched it yet, and I'm hesitant to due to WB poor quality animated movies as of late.

11. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In general... Harley was never done right in the comics. They threw her in around Cataclysm/No Man's land as a crazy Joker fangirl and he soon tired of her and shot her out of a rocket, then she got her own title where she was some amoral mercenary without all the wackiness we loved her for.
    DC comics generally does not know how to handle the characters they adapted from the DCAU. Look at the reinvented-by Batman TAS Mr Freeze in the comics (man the many terrible things they did to his character), Lock-Up or Live Wire as well. It's why I frankly prefer the (old) DCAU to regular DC comics continuity.

Gotham By Gaslight and Batman and Harley Quinn were the only good DC animated movies in the last years, as far as I am concerned. The new 52 stuff was terrible as usual. Do these things have the same writer or what? They are all so alike...

Booooy, you were so wrong with that prediction. I am not a huge fan of the movie, but I did rewatch it and I actually liked the director's cut version. This one, it was a pain to sit through even once.

So much of this, YES. I was so glad when these movies were just animating - or reimagining - classic stories. There are some that I never cared about (like that "Justice League battles some weird flying island" thing or the Frank Miller Dark Knight) but most of them I really enjoyed, some I actually found amazing and own them on DVD.
    I was so happy when I heard they would do the Judas Contract... then came the cold shower upon seeing it would be set in New 52, without any leadup to the characters (they could have included Terra in the Teen Titans movie if they wanted to do that, but nope...) Needless to say, it sucked. It's also why I have no hope about the Death of Superman movies (yes, there will be two) - they absolutely did not plan ahead. I don't think Lois Lane even appeared in the New 52 movies so far, and they were trying to show Clark and Diana being together... and not that's thrown out the window so they could push the narrative of a story set in a completely different continuity onto the New 52 framework. It will be a mess, I can already tell.
    I think I watched all seasons of The Shield before I realized why that voice was so familiar. :D  And she would be the perfect look and age for the role too. Sadly I think we have not just New 52 but the Green Lantern movie to blame for the skinny Waller.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/CCH_Pounder_&_Glenn_Close_2006.jpg/800px-CCH_Pounder_&_Glenn_Close_2006.jpg

Waaaait, Waller fought Granny Goodness? I have to look up this issue. :D 

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Everyone's so focused on gimmicks these days. They can't just take these characters and write a good story about them, they have to "reinvent" them or "adapt them for the modern age" or team them up with somebody else. The fact that the animation is so consistently flat and uninspired really goes to show that they don't really care about the nuances of storytelling.

The reason BTAS and DCAU overall are so beloved is because they have aged remarkably well due to their visual and storytelling style. Hell, I think they're more appealing today with the mainstream's more broad sense of retro design than they were back in the 90's, where nostalgia was much less of a major factor. (and no, I don't mean nostalgia for a media as everyone here considers the word synonymous with) You can watch even some of the worst animated episodes of that show and it feels quaint and earnest, and the best-animated ones still blow most modern animation of of the water in terms of style, richness of colour, and fluidity.

And I hate to say it, but sometimes there's just no topping what came before. Especially in regards to what I said (and you elaborated on, BB Shockwave) about Harley and her current portrayal. TAS Harley was so endearing and fun to watch, and I honestly chalk that up entirely to Arleen Sorkin. Because every following iteration of her has felt categorically inferior because nobody else can match her energy and range and scope of her emotional instability without- ironically -becoming too cartoonish or generic.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Din't Arleen voice Harley in her (very few) appearances in The Batman, too? I think her introduction episode was probably the only time I liked that show's version of the Joker too (Paul Dini wrote it). Though I was not a fan of her design in that show with that weird baggy costume. But her being a talk show host worked well (and funnily mirrors the post-credits scene of Batman & Harley Quinn too).
    I feel that Tara Strong is easily the best replacement so far for Arleen. I think it was her in Justice League Action, no? She sounds just like old TAS Harley to me.
    And agreed the DCAU still holds up very well even today. I am rewatching these shows every few years, actually - I think I'll do Batman Beyond and Teen Titans next as it has been a decade since I watched them last. In fact I number Return of the Joker amongst my top 10 favourite movies of all time.

14. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

No, that would be Hynden Walch. She even went on to do the voice of Harley Quinn again in Batman: Assault on Arkham. Incidentally, she's also the voice actress that did the voice of Starfire in Teen Titans and Teen Titan Go! as well as Ace in Justice League/Justice League Unlimited.