Suicide Squad 2

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Dec 13, 2016.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Suicide Squad Has More Practical Effects Than Any Big-Budget Comic Film

"There are more practical effects and sets in this film than any big budget comic book film ever," Gunn shared on Instagram. The director spoke further on the film's effects via a Twitter thread, saying he would use practical effects on The Suicide Squad "whenever possible."

Gunn also credited his experienced practical effects experts, including set builder Beth Mickle, costume designer Judianna Makovsky and pyrotecnics expert Dan Sudick.

When speaking on why many directors choose CGI over practical, Gunn said procrastination was usually to blame.

Gunn's GOTG props and practical VFX are awesome. No issues with me on this.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Gunn gets under my skin and I don't think I could possibly care less about anything than a shitty sequel to arguably the lamest 'team" ever put together for 'edgy' comic nerds, but I am glad to hear that he went about things this way... even if it is for a movie like this. For as much as CG can and does replace anything nowadays, practical & tangible things like sets, costumes, backgrounds, even explosions always look far better than their make-believe CGI counterparts. The brain somehow can still always tell the difference.

Heh, this is the same thing that made me go from adoring the Russo brothers to almost resenting them a bit. The Winter Soldier looked so good because of the amount of practical sets & effects used due to its lower-then-most-MCU-movies budget, and I loved these guys for their approach to it. Fast forward to Infinity War and especially Endgame, and they got as out of control as prequel era George Lucas did with their "we can just do that in CG" with goddamn EVERYTHING like he did... subsequently making it all look like a live action cartoon.

I wish far more of these movies dialed it back on the CG, comic book based or not. Clearly it CAN be done... and done well in the right hands.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm tired of seeing cgi Ironman and Spidey. Get a fucking stunt man to do those crazy Spidey moves in a real costume.

4. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    He'd need to be a acrobat-slash-contortionist to be able to pull off twisty limbs and impossible postures.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    The thing is, Tom Holland actually CAN do (and has done) a lot of acrobatic moves himself - that's one of THE things that landed him the role, in fact.

But stuff like that is the least of my concerns. I'd just settle for the actor being back in an actual costume again - not all this black & dotted leotard bullshit that they just CG into a Spidey outfit later. Some characters it makes sense to do that way, obviously, but it's hit a point of no return now that they're just CGI'ing costumes with their insta-retract masks onto everyone these days... many of which where a practical costume would not only do just fine, but would also look better.

• Like Like x 2
  6. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Have you seen any Cirque du Soleil shows? Not impossible.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    If Ironman was to be done in this day and age, the Mark 1 suit and Iron Monger would have been cgi too, I don't know if it's lazy directors or bitchy ass actors that don't want to wear the suit...I know RDJ had that issue with the IM suits later on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    In RDJ's case it was very much about him going a bit premadonna about it. He kept complaining that the suits were too heavy and uncomfortable among other things. I know Holland has faught to do as many of the stunts himself as possible but I've seen him mention in interviews that some of them the insurance company says are a no go for a real person to attempt.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

First look at Harley Quinn's new outfit/look.

• Like Like x 2
  10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    That's just concept art, I think. But it looks decent. She's at her most covered up (something Robbie was very much in favour of), and the dress could represent her growing sanity and focus.

11. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    That is one of the dumbest fucking outfit to go battle in, unless she was at a prom and was interrupted and detained by Amanda Waller.
    But seeing some other leak pics where everyone is in tactical gear and she is in a dumb ass red dress.

12. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Because Harley Quinn is known for being heavy duty? Am I crazy, or did Harley Quinn wear roller skates in the finale of her solo film? Doesn’t quite seem in character for her to wear tactical gear like the others are.

13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Why can't we simply get this?
    [​IMG]

Or This
    [​IMG]
    Pretty sure it can be done. I've seen cosplayers pull it off and she'd even be fully clothed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Probably because it looks utterly ridiculous. Like, sure, it worked in the comics & cartoon - just like 60' tall robots turning into handheld devices did - but it doesn't translate at all to believable live action form. Or make any sense.

I'm personally in awe that anyone even could/does still give a shit about this chick at all after her other two miserably awful movies. I like Margot Robbie, but can't think of a role I hate her in more than this one. On paper, her playing Harley sounded like pure gold waiting to happen, but holee jumpin' jesus did that ever backfire.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I beg to differ, I like that look and think I've seen it work well.
    It also helps to understand the historical background of this type of character
    Harlequin | theatrical character

[​IMG]

The point is she IS supposed to look ridiculous and silly. She is representing a clown character.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    She was playing the funny sidekick, the Robin to the joker's batman.

Her costume is a mix between a traditional harlequin and a court jester

She's not supposed to be an over sexualized tart. Shes supposed to be a funny clown based character.
    But after the Arkham games they over sexualized her.

Here is what the designer of the character were inspired by and what they based the costume on
    [​IMG]
    That is Arleen Sorkin her original voice actress in a soap opera.

The part of Harley was inspired by and basically made for her. They were watching the soap and came up with Harley afterwards and asked her to voice the role.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Sure, in cosplay. Looking like a cartoon in real life in that context is totally different than trying to pull it off AS real life.

Well, no, it doesn't. We're all aware of the type of character she was originally developed as. Doesn't change the fact that by her THIRD movie, having her backpedal and dress up like her toon counterpart sans Joker just makes no sense. At best they'll throw the fans a bone by having her sport that look & outfit for a millisecond doing something silly, but there's now - or reason - it should ever last beyond something like that.

Was. In these particular dogshit movies, though, nope.

Again, not in these particular dogshit movies.

Fair enough. I never said she's supposed to be that anyway, nor do I care. That's an entirely different conversation/debate to have with someone else.

I know the Arleen Sorkin backstory - still doesn't change what I'm saying about this third go around of the Margot Robbie version of the character in THESE movies. It doesn't work. It doesn't make sense. And it doesn't look good.

I do get where you're coming from, but the Harley you want to see would have to be done via a different set a movies where out of the gate they can make sense of it. But here and now? There's nothing that would justify Robbie suddenly running around in a jester outfit without the context of why - the context of which can't even be there anymore because that shipped sailed at the end of the first SS and the subsequent removal of 30 Seconds To Leto's terrible Hot Topic Joker. It's done.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Well maybe if they made the changes an made her a more funny clown based character and make changes like they did with the Sonic movie, this movie would be better.

Hollywood’s biggest problem lately is if something doesn’t work the first time, they just keep doing the same thing in the hopes it will catch on. Rather than seeing it as an opportunity to make changes and fix what didn’t work the first time. First movie was crap and barely did well, second bombed hard, maybe making a major change would attract more of an audience. If they keep the same look and tone all people will remember is suicide squad was mediocre and Birds of prey sucked. So why should they give it a third chance to bore them?

As for a reason why? She could say her life is going down hill so she's going back to what works. The classics are always the best.

• Like Like x 1
  18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Two reasons:
    Firstly, it’s a jester outfit and as suits a comical figure it’s meant to look ridiculous.

A cartoon series allows the Joker and Harley to keep their iconic and ironic killer clown nature easily by enabling them to shed blood and make gags. But in real life, clowns take a lot of effort to actually be funny, something that these two as sociopaths/psychopaths don’t give a hoot about and so come off as ironic nutjobs dressed oddly.

Secondly and maybe more importantly, Harley’s harlequin outfit represents her connection to the Joker as his slave and henchwoman. In later years she has established herself as her own person and has worn her own wardrobe to show this.

[​IMG]

It'd be nice to see Harley wear her 2011/2013 clothes IMO. Anyway we'll see what else she wears.

• Like Like x 1
  19. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Don't see much point boo-hooing over her costumes. These outfits should just be expected at this point.

Also, I pretty much sure MR has a huge amount of input over what she wants to wear, especially after complaining so much about the SS1 outfit. Kinda wish she'd get replaced now. I don't want a 10 year run of her as Harley, which brings out the "she's iconic in that role and cannot be replaced" like what happened with RDJ and Iron Man.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Um, that's kind of the point of both characters.

• Like Like x 1