Suggested HasLab Unicron Upgrades

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by MacrossA, Feb 6, 2021.

1. OmegaSupremePrime

OmegaSupremePrime Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any pic's of what the back of the legs look like after you de-clutter him and make a separate planet mode? I was not aware it left gaping holes, figured it would have been part of the kit if it did.

Thanks in advance.

2. VE Telus

VE Telus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    20210601_175245.jpg 20210601_175306.jpg 20210601_175524.jpg 20210605_191630.jpg 20210605_192711.jpg

Found a 3D file on Thingverse by Cryoguns for a shorter stand leg. While disassembly of the back leg of the stand allows for more room, the front was still sticking out from the only place I could place Unicron.

Enter this! Printed in black ABS with 40% infill from Treatstock.com, chose a local printer, and picked it up in person to save on shipping. I was so impressed with the quality of the print that I ordered two more legs for Unicron in planet mode.

Haslab Transformers: War for Cybertron Unicron Short Stand Feet by Cryoguns

I ordered a printing of just the front/back leg stands, as the original side ones seem fine. The description on Thingverse warns not to use it for Unicron in planet mode, but I find that it appears just as stable (gave it a smack and it didn't even budge). Obviously, I'm not putting Unicron planet mode in the tallest place (it's on the floor). And Unicron in robot mode is stable even without the stand, but removing the back leg on the stand and installing a shorter front one really helps if you don't have much depth on your shelf.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Powerbomb

Powerbomb Interpol and Deutsche Bank...

The only upgrade I can think of is a more palatable price.

I'll wait for the...wait for it...
    Oversized KO.

But then, I'm contradicting myself here.

• Like Like x 3
  4. FredVIII

FredVIII HUMAN GERM!

News Credits:
    Adding one more, especially since it should be pretty easy: a new plug-in neck piece that gives Uni the ability to look down.

Hopefully with ToyHax having now revealed their sticker set, we might to see other companies start to get in on the action.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sky79

Sky79 Well-Known Member

With crowd-funding, anything can be done. Some madman needs to break down StudioCell and do the math.
    Present the numbers and let the fandom speak. If it's $1,200, Fine, If it reaches the funding goal, great! If not it's still a win because the people have had their say.

While we're at it, cell shading baby!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MacrossA

MacrossA Well-Known Member

Definitely getting the ToyHax sticker set. I was trying to get a maw cover from those that made them to no avail. The stickers seem to scratch that itch, especially in photos...

I'm really not all that impressed with Studio Cell. Particularly because I'm planning on keeping mine in planet mode. However, I don't really like that bot mode either. Not a fan of cell shading or over adherence to cartoon aesthetics.

7. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got both the maw cover and the sticker set from Toyhax. The maw cover is great from a "far-away display" perspective, however it falls out pretty easily and does not allow the teeth to extend outwards fully, so the stickers are a good backup when you actually want to play with the toy. I recommend both.

8. Sky79

Sky79 Well-Known Member

Your comment is very intriguing. What would you like to see? If not the accuracy of Studio cell and not the functionality of haslab, a mixture of both? Perhaps neither! What would it look like?
    Please elaborate

9. MacrossA

MacrossA Well-Known Member

I like the blend of tech, real world and the animation as a basis for the aesthetics. I like 'metal' parts to look metal with metallic paint, such as silver over grays, whites, blues and pastels.

I don't see either as accurate, but the studio cell looks too cartoony... And not menacing... Both have unappealing horns. Neither got the paint right... But studio cell used it more. The Haslab looks imposing, the Haslab (maw colours aside) seemed to nail the planet mode. Studio Cell, while a cleaner bot, totally missed the planet mode... It's QC is questionable at best.

Neither are perfect, neither are masterpiece... But then again masterpiece isn't masterpiece anymore either and by them adhering to the cartoon aesthetic to a flaw... Especially when they use animated models for the vehicles... To me it looks cheap and does not feel that it achieves that premium feel.

It's not clear really, but the studio cell just doesn't appeal to me

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sky79

Sky79 Well-Known Member

Can you post some visual examples of what you'd like to see? Case in point-
    Seraphicus Prominon vs Hyper Novae. They're fine offerings toward the character of Nova Prime.
    If Hyper Novae we're the only third-party Nova Prime out there, I think the market for the most part would be satisfied.
    Seraphicus Prominon on the other hand, take things to a different level. While not 100% visually accurate, it more than makes up for it in expanding on the characters capabilities, the addition of the Prime sword and an integrated Matrix gimmick. Heck there's even a dark/corrupted variant of the figure.
    [SND doesn't count is that an add-on for an existing figure]

11. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

im looking at my unicron with the toyhax stickers. Im liking what it did to the maw and it hits me.... that base is ugly. anyone hear anything about any base skins?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sky79

Sky79 Well-Known Member

If it were made of metal, it wouldn't have to be so thick, It honestly looks like someone snapped off the lower end of a swivel chair in stock it up his :spam 

Given the amount of space this guy takes up, a wall mounted stand would be far more agreeabl, especially for planet mode.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

Yes. Yeessssss. Now we are getting to the solution!

• Like Like x 1