Sucker Punch - a new movie by Zack Snyder

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gordon_4, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    This movie will be awesome. I knew right from the first trailer that it just threw all logic and sensibility right out the fucking window, so if that's what people are complaining about, then count me in. Movies lately have been trying too hard to be smart and clever, so a big, mindless, and loud film like this is just what I need right now. I'm going to see it tomorrow night with some friends.

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So is it work watching? With such low scores, I might just wait for the DVD

3. jetfire prime

jetfire prime Do it now and do it loud

News Credits:
    Just got back from it with a few friends at the after-discussion was a little like this:
    Friend 1: "dude that was awesome!"
    Friend 2: "that blew my mind!"
    Friend 3: "pretty damn good!"
    Me: "it was ok..."

So some people will like, while for others it was a big fat meh

4. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Pretty...but pretty terrible movie IMO.

If you're the type that'd like to watch a 2 hour music video (and I mean this almost literally), then you may enjoy this. If you require ANY kind of emotional connection with a character, or ANY tension or even a point to the action you're watching, then this will not be for you.

5. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    If you like Anime, you'll like this movie. It even had a decent message. F%$k the critics... they're idiots. They loved Avatar and hate THIS? This movie was far more enjoyable and less predictable than the Smurfs in 3D was.

I'm glad Zack Snyder is directing Superman now, although with the way he did this, I wish he'd take a shot at Transformers someday. He's the next great action movie director in my opinion.

It actually makes me sad critics are so narrow minded that they gush over slop like Avatar or that stupid Slumdog millionaire, but can't respect the visual spectacle and brillance of this film. You've never seen some of this shit in a live action movie, or if you did it looked phony.

6. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    It was alright. My date said the same. It was not bad. But it was not good either. To echo what Ceasar121 said, anime fans will like it. I did like it a lot better than Avatar.

7. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    You described how I felt when I watched Macross Frontier: The False Songstress lol.....

8. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Looking at the reviews, I guess I pretty much called it.

9. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Browsing/Not Buying

Snyder can't possibly fuck up Superman, right?

Right?

10. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i loved the dawn of the dead remake, i loved 300, i loved watchmen (except for the ending change...didnt like the new scapegoat) and i loved the action scenes in suckerpunch, they were visually amazing, but the scenes that string them together are so poorly thought out, and poorly scripted it totally kills the movie. Seriously, I'm not asking for oscar calibur storytelling or clever plot twists in my big dumb action movie, but i want it to make some sort of sense.

11. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am a diehard anime fan Ceasar and I can fully say I didn't gush over this movie. Every fight or action scene I was like seen that before, ........sigh typical........, nope clique. That's so overused. But overall still pretty damn visually impressive. It was the settle things that got my interest.

This. While I like most of Synder's films and maybe it might just be coincidence but I'm getting tired of the "WHAT A TWIST!!!" ala M.Night Shamalamdingdong that he seems to be favoring and executing poorly. Granted that kinda couldn't be helped with watchmen being it was in the comic in a way. And Not that I am a movie maker but I am a fan of movies.

The story was basically IMO about survival and how much would you sacrifice to be free and or possibly put everything at risk to get it even yourself. Obvious message is obvious. And the story being told in a imagination with more imaginations was adding too many layers to make up for actual lacking content. Like I said. WHAT A TWIST :/

And definitely too quote Chldsplay. It literally was like watching a 2hour long music video.

12. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I went and seen it last night and I enjoyed it.

13. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Still debating if I want to see this. If it's all style but no substance, I don't know if I can sit through it.

14. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I'm seeing it tonight. I'm honestly expecting to enjoy it, in spite of what critics say about it. We'll see.

15. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah i'm going too!

16. Red Frenzy

Red Frenzy Its madness He's 100% RED

So after seeing the movie my brother and I started trying to interpret the imagination/dream sequences and figure out how much of a impact they had in the real world/mental hospital. We stumbled upon some ideas that make sense and I wanted to see if anyone shares our claims.

**Warning contains spoilers**

1. The world within a dream -
    We know that there are three different perspectives the world of "Sucker punch" is based in. There's the real world taking place in the Mental Hospital, there's the world of the Brothel where all the girls think or pretend is reality, and lastly there are the fantasy dreams that occur during the interpretive dances that Baby Doll is able to preform with the aid of music.

Basically we theorized that the Brothel is the unified imaginative world all the girls see themselves in, the hospital is not a Hospital and they are stage performers instead of patients. Most of what occurs in reality occurs in the Brothel world, with minor adjustments to further the Fantasy. In reality the girls go through therapy sessions on the stage with Dr. Gorsky, where as in the Brothel they dance for the amusement of paying customers. The world we see the girls in during Baby Doll's dances are, in reality, a manifestation of what Baby Doll says during her therapy sessions. It is something different than what the girls are use to hearing which is mostly "the same old song and Dance" they hear everyday. This in turn by the listening girls around the stage is projected/interpreted as the different worlds we see. Why Baby Doll talking about Dragons, Robots, and Samurai is anyone's guess but that's our theory at least.

2. Prisoners and Warriors -
    The girls are powerless patients in a oppressive world. It only makes sense that in the Fantasy worlds the are virtually invincible to counter that helplessness. Each has there part to play in the different worlds but in the end there is only one outcome, or is there? We know that at the end three of the girls die, but are some of them really dead? We see them die in the Brothel world, but when we jump back to reality there is no mention of any deaths. Our interpretation for this theory is based on the quick summary of real world events by Dr. Gorsky, which never mention any patient deaths, so the three girls may still be alive just in a state that seems worse than death by the imagining survivors. When the bad guy "Blue" kills two of the girls with a gun it is done with little to no reference of a bullet actually killing the girls, no shots of the dead bodies or other such gore. We believe that this is a interpretation by the girls to further their distress, when in the real world "Blue" merely drugged or sedated them with a needle. Which in the mind of a crazy person might as well be as bad as a gun.

3. The sanity or insanity of Sweet Pea -
    "This was never my story...it's yours!" What Baby Doll says to Sweet Pea before she gets caught, which sums up how and why these event are shown to the audience in this way. In a nut shell Sweet Pea imagined everything! She is the one interpreting Baby Dolls sessions, she is the one who has imagined these worlds and she is most likely the most crazy of all of them. Remember we never actually see a therapy session with Dr. Gorsky for any of the other girls except at the beginning with Sweet Pea. We also see at the end of the movie two characters that appear to Sweet Pea that are also present in the Fantasy worlds, The wise man/bus driver, and the young boy/WWII soldier. This could possibly mean that Sweet Pea had seen these people before coming to the Hospital and they influenced her subconscious. Why else would the bus driver let her ride for free? He'd seen her before.

What do you guys think?

17. Bort826TFWorld

Bort826TFWorld OOGA CHAKA

News Credits:
    It's just convoluted crap. That's what I think.

Mmmm... 2 hours of characters I don't give a crap about doing things I don't give a crap about.

I should have gotten a crappy shirt that said "I Fell Asleep During An IMAX Film"

Crap.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  18. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hate saying what i'm about to say on these forums because someone will turn it into a 5 page argument but..... I can't help it.

This movie sucked... period. My Best Friend, girlfriend, and nephew hated it... I pretty much wanted to walkout after the WWI fight.

I would say, most of the critics are spot on when it comes to this movie.

1. I don't care about these characters and the acting doesn't make things ANY BETTER. For a minute, I thought this film was a Lifetime chick flick. Did they even memorize the lines? Everything sounded so unrehearsed and completely lacked emotion. If your bleeding out, shouldn't you sound I dunno... different? No matter what was going on, their voices just stayed constant, no emotion. OMG.... It's a dragon.... watch out....

2. The Story.. WTF?
    I'll admit it, the beginning was great but the film went downhill from there. Let me break it down; Baby Doll starts dancing, guys are mesmerized, and the other 4 chicks steal the stuff they need.

3. Blondie? This chick has got to be the most annoying chick in the whole movie. I don't know where she is from but I'm NEVER going to watch a movie with her in it again.

Overall... out of 10 stars... I'd say 0. It's basically a big budget baywatch with T&A at every turn. Great if your a little kid but absolutely boring if your an adult. Save your money, watch it on DVD....

19. MegatronSupporter

MegatronSupporter Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the movie, the style is awesome, and imo it has substance (which is that a fantasy can get a person into different kinds of situations). A fantasy can make you achieve what you want to achieve, they can provide you with confidence, they can be one's hero and one's death. I thought that the acting was pretty good for the most part, the action was awesome yet strange. Imo, it seemed as if it most of the movie's running time was dominated by the action set pieces, while on the other hand it wasn't. The movie would have been better if a certain someone didn't die, if the futuristic city from the fourth action set piece had more screen time, if the dancing wasn't cut out, and if the dialog was good. The girls were normal, but not too normal, Rocket came off as pretty likable but behind Baby Doll and Sweet Pea. I liked the music, the messages are a mixed bag, they fall under the 'abnormal', 'good', 'bad', and 'interesting' category imo.

Once again, screw the movie critics. It has four realistic messages that are useful and that tells the truth, the truth being that women can be guilty of something bad and not just be innocent, and that they can also empower something. Something bad just like men. The movie says that women are exploiters as well. And lastly, that it's better for one person out of a certain amount of people to make it out alive than a certain amount of people all dying. I like that the movie doesn't completely put men in a negative light as well, the action is also interesting, because in a strange way it represents the dancing that we don't get to see in the movie. I dug a nice chunk of the music because it wasn't too mundane, and because it was earnest.

20. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

That would be Vanessa Hudgeons of High School Musical fame...and naked photos on the internet too.