Success Of Transformers: Bumblebee Movie And Its Future For Hasbro

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I do try to appreciate the view of others, is it really wrong to want good Transformers movies? :(  I actually wanted good Bayverse movies (and that sounds like a contradiction these days), but that was never the game plan. And then the franchise went completely off the rails.

The Knightverse offers a chance to do things right this time.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    I want TF movies everyone can enjoy. Sadly that will never be the case.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Offensively Off-brand

That quote was confusing.

So the BB movie did NOT make money in 2019 Q2? They're expecting the revenue to come in the second half??? That just sounds like BS to me.

I expect BB movie revenue to come in 2019 Q1, just after the release of the movie. And certainly to slightly boost 2018 Q4, in terms of pre-sales and movie premier sales (which happened in 2018 Q4!).

And NOW it's official, right? The BB movie is officially successful enough to decide the entire future of the brand! :lolol 

I think it was obvious since Bay movie 3 (or earlier) that the Bay movies were tanking. The box office returns were diminishing or plateauing, but like running against the wall, they kept throwing money at Bay. Hasbro should find a better studio: Paramount is run by IDIOTS (and it's been circling the drain, in terms of box office hits and success).

Guys, this situation is what happens when you ignore a fire in the kitchen (the Bay movies) and let it burn half your house down. I think TFs today are in a struggling, poor place because Hasbro (and Paramount) allowed Bay to run the franchise into the ground. They could have refreshed the movies YEARS AGO, and the brand would be better for it.

They went ALL-IN on the Bay-verse, and I think that's putting too many eggs in one basket. The cartoons, for example, did not need to mirror Bay-verse (i.e. Prime). Hasbro has a wonderful opportunity to throw some darts and try daring things. Shows like Beast Machines may not work out, but they're certainly good attempts to do something fresh and different. After all, without Beast Wars, who knows where the brand would be? Beast Wars happened because Hasbro tried something new!

The way they stick to the movies right now? I think it's a disaster waiting to happen! Hasbro should really diversify the brand better (i.e. like they did by making RB!). I'm just sick of all the investor focus being on the TF movies. Hasbro could point out the success of RB or talk about how they're fixing up their other cartoons (or whatever). Nope, it's all about the last movie. Yawn.

• Like Like x 2
  4. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I want is more realistic designs than the ones in the Cybertron in Bumblebee and that Ratchet Ironhide have their OWN unique designs instead of sharing one.

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

A bit of the pot callling the kettle black, given that during those 12 years, wouldn't you say the pro-bayformers crowd was doing much the same thing, telling people to 'accept this and move on'?

A big thing here, though, is the lack of real maturity that some of the pro-bayformers crowd has shown in accepting the reality that's really been around since 2017. You look at any previous series ending in recent years and while people lament the passing, ultimately people get over it and accept that the series had to end and move on.

But with the bay films? Goddamn, the way people act like the films are literally the only part of this franchise that matters takes the fact the films are ending to the point some people act like their beloved dog got shot or something. Repeatedly.

That's why people keep bringing up the time frame consideration - the movies were around for 12 years, got nearly just as many toylines (TF2007 + extensions, ROTF + extensions, DOTM, HFTD, AoE, TLK, Studio Series), and had five major blockbuster pictures. The only thing even remotely comparable to that kind of run is the original 1984 - 1991 G1 Transformers line, and only because it was the only Transformers series, and its the only one that got a major motion picture to its name as well despite lasting for seven years. Every series otherwise only lasts for maybe two or three and a half years - which includes the three phases of the Unicron Trilogy (which were not universally intended for that purpose, as Cybertron was originally supposed to be a full on reboot) as even there, the UT as a whole only spanned from 2000 to 2006.

You know why people were complaining for 12 years? Because they wanted something different, because that's how things worked previously. A new series came up, it ran its course, and then things reset. If you didn't like something then all you had to do was wait a while until the eventual reboot. Then the films came along and suddenly that isn't happening anymore. If you didn't like the first film then you're SoL because every film after it is just more of the same, if not worse. Suddenly, the franchise that had established itself on constant reinvention had turned against this concept and was locking out pretty much everybody who didn't accept the films as the new standard, because they hardly were setting any bars for quality content.

So, yeah, the fact is the pro-bayverse people have more or less hogged the main focus of this franchise longer than literally the original franchise ever did in the first place, so it's a bit childish to act like getting told to accept that the series is ending and move on is somehow beyond the pale when the movie supporters literally have had it better than any other fanbase in this franchise's history.

The only reason they went forward with AoE and ultimately TLK was because of the opening Chinese box office. The Chinese Government literally was involved in making AoE, hence the super heavy pandering and the entire final battle happening on their side of the planet. And Paramount/Hasbro thought simply having stupid action sequences tied together with a hamstrung plot without giving a care to the quality of that plot, this technique having worked specifically with AoE since it was the first TF film to have such presence in China, would work again with TLK...without the massive assistance or pandering to the Chinese. And we all know how well that went.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    Clearly. AOE hardly made anything in the Domestic box office, people in North America were obviously already burned the hell out after DOTM. If it wasn’t for Asia supporting this movie it would’ve been another The Last Shitfest causing Paramount, Hasbro and the whole brand to loose millions upon millions of dollars just like The Last Shitfest did. Here’s an interesting statement I found with a quick simple google search.

“Transformers: Age of Extinction grossed $245.4 million in the United States and Canada and $858.6 million in other countries for a worldwide total of $1.104 billion, against a budget of $210 million.”

Meaning the film BARLEY managed to make a Domestic profit. Its budget was literally 210 million. It hardly made back its production value Domestically. If Asia didn’t play such a big part in the box office the movie would be fucked. Also not to mention the countless allegations made about AOE. There are numerous film insiders that say the film clearly didn’t make as much money as Paramount would like you to believe. Even with TLK and Bumblebee these films still struggle to make money domestically. No idea how they will recover from that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vector Oracle

Vector Oracle Part of a complete breakfast

News Credits:
    XXX= not for children, sex everywhere
    XxX= Vin Diesel movie (not for anyone who doesn't like explosions)
    XXXXXX= Not safe for any living creature in this universe (except the seedier slums of Zarbon 6). What have you done, you monster? /s

• Like Like x 5
  8. Autobot Burnout

The main thing is that what should have happened was they ended the bayverse back in 2011 with DOTM, got their shit together and actually laid out a blueprint for a multi-film narrative. Then, they wait a year or two before announcing the reboot and subsequently start again, while there's still steam behind the brand.

The problem is that they rushed into making AoE when they decided to milk the Chinese movie scene for all its worth, rushed being relative given it took them three years for whatever godforsaken reason. They also tried to be sneaky and pull a soft reboot largely in the same way that TFTM 1986 did, by essentially killing all the existing characters instead of y'know, developing the ones that already existed. To date, nobody has proven that it was worth having to introduce three new characters instead of simply giving more character to existing guys who really could have used the screen time like Sideswipe.

And then AoE's plot is basically non-existent. Lockdown spouses nonsense and works for some kind of third party that doesn't do jack shit that isn't generic to the point they could have just had the Quints or even Vok straight up do it. Instead, the only reason The Creators are called such is to specifically avoid actually having to develop them in a significant way. It was purely to buy time! Further evidenced by how TLK doesn't really even acknowledge their existence meaningfully, because now suddenly Quintabitch shows up and it's not clear if she's one of the vaguely undefined Creators or not, and suddenly the main threat is Unicron which doesn't make a whole lot of sense given the Chessboard comment from Lockdown in the previous film.

There was just no direction, the inevitable downfall of the films was going to happen. I'm just glad TLK managed to screw up so hard that it ensured we will never get the horrid looking idiocy that Unicron probably would have ended up being, even though as I said before, he wouldn't actually transform because otherwise it would look really goddamn stupid to have people still alive while Earth's oceans all fell off into space.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    Took the words straight out of my damn mouth, they were originally intending for the films to be a trilogy and DOTM to be the last in the trilogy. This is not only confirmed but evident because a lot of the main iconic characters died, Shia wanted to leave the series and Bay wanted to be done directing these films. The problem was Paramount Studios became so thirsty for money it was shocking and disgusting. They legit forced Michael against his own will to return and direct Age of Extinction, which he did, and the same goes for The Last Shitfest. The thing is the Domestic audience didn't care about Transformers at this point, let alone new characters, which is why they should've waited a couple years after DOTM, let the stench blow off, and THEN reboot the series with something extremely different and original. The problem was this didn't happen which is quite unfortunate. Instead we got two more disasters that released. Making the brand sink deeper down into the pits of hell even more and making it loose so much money it is beyond comprehensible or imaginable. Thank god The Last Shitfest let reality set in for everyone, including people working at Paramount. The movies were no longer profitable with the direction they were taking. All of this damage finally allowed Hasbro to step in and take back their brand and begin the healing process it desperately needed since 2011.

10. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Not bullshit at all when we consider how such businesses occur. The movie's revenue may have come somewhere between Q1 and Q2. Then of course we have the home release sales. Hasbro won't see that until the end of Q2 and inside Q3.

Paramount of course would see the revenue much earlier and well before they handover Hasbro's portion.

Then we have the toys and merchandise revenue which is a completely different ball game. Hasbro will see the toy revenue between Q4 and Q1. Merchandise revenue (in the form of royalties) won't come until mid Q2.

But it's not over yet. Some merchandise revenue may take upto 2 years to show revenue for Hasbro. It depends on the market. Some countries are getting Avengers Endgame merchandise just now. It's the same for Bumblebee. In my country, Bumblebee Wave 2 is hitting shelves as we speak.

Speaking of which, look how late the movie came to the theaters in Japan. Rest of the countries pretty much got their Home Release by the time Bumblebee showed up in Japan.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Autobot Burnout

Quite the contrary - they gave Bay exactly what he wanted. In return for him doing Age of Extinction, Paramount agreed to be the primary backing for Bay's passion project Pain and Gain. And for TLK, a cool bonus $10 million payout...on top of the already cushy director's salary. That's more money than most of us will see in our natural lifetimes.

Bay was in a powerful position because Paramount was too afraid to try making a TF film without him at the helm after DOTM, just see what happened with Battleship which obviously was supposed to ape the TF films in style and was not a good film at all. That and he was a producer for Bumblebee so he certainly was still attached to the franchise despite not being in the director's chair for the most recent outing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Spontificus

Spontificus Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say that calling it The Last Shite would be way stronger wordplay.

• Like Like x 10
  13. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    Really? I always heard that they needed and forced him to direct. I am not at all surprised with this new information though.

14. MengHao

MengHao Well-Known Member

I watched TLK on netflix, the plot was all over the place. The knight thing was weird as well.

Bumblebee was ok. It felt like a lifetime movie at certain sequences but ok overall. :) . Definitely better than tlk overall

15. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:

Well, you've got a good point there.

16. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    As many have pointed out, 10 years were already largely wasted. I speak as a fan of the movie franchise. I've said it for years, the movies could have and should have been so much more than what they are/were. Bumblebee gave me hope.

A glorified accountant ... ouch.

Yeah. Quoted for truth.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    Anything involving the use of faeces would be the perfect title.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Autobot Burnout

I prefer 'The Last Failure' because, hilariously, all it had to do was not fail...and it did so in such a way that nobody in their right mind would think a sequel was even remotely possible without Paramount deciding that surefire suicide was a sound business plan.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    I like to call it "The Last Shitfest.' Simply because of the shitstorm it caused within Paramount and the loss of so much money. It legit was a shitfest.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And that's been my belief all along. Unfortunately the guys making the earlier ones didn't share that view.

Bumblebee was directed by an Transformers fan who found himself in a position to do what he wanted. I'm a bit worried the Paramount old guard may still find a way to sabotage the next one.