Success Of Transformers: Bumblebee Movie And Its Future For Hasbro

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I liked this comment.

2. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    Don’t be so surprised. I fully expect Hasbro to continue just rehashing and shoving G1 down our throats for a good long while.

And I fully expect the older fans, who have pretty much complained that their childhoods were destroyed for the last 12 years and believe they should be catered to, to call anyone who dares protest against the constant G1 rehashing whiners.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  3. TheCianinator

TheCianinator Well-Known Member

I called it. They only positioned Bumblebee as a reboot so they could tell their stockholders that they were rebooting the franchise after The Last Knight underperformed. The only parts of that movie that broke continuity with the other films were full CGI animated scenes that didn't require any reshoots with real actors. They hit the brakes hard and U-turned into rebootville way late into production, all so they could tell a lie to the businessmen that buy and sell pieces of their company not because they care about toys, but because they hope to exploit toy manufacturing for profit. The franchise could still go anywhere from here, they're still just getting themselves back together after a successful bluff.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    No disrespect, but I don’t think you have gone through the changes and different incarnations of Transformers like a lot of people on the boards have. After every new iteration it seems to be rebooted and thrown in the trash bin as it can no longer make anymore money, or there isn’t anywhere for the story to go, or it’s too expensive to continue. This is why most series ended. G1 ended, the Marvel UK Comics ended, the G2 toyline ended, Beast Wars ended, Beast Machines ended, the Unicron trilogy ended, Animated ended, Prime ended, Robots in Disguise ended, the Prime Wars Trilogy ended, IDW ended, and now the Bayverse has ended. It’s very disappointing to see something you love so much go away, I understand that, believe me some fans of those iterations had the same reactions when all of those iterations were cancelled because they loved the product so very much and had a negative reaction to the next iteration. But you have to understand this brand has always been about change & it’s become very crystal clear the Bayverse isn’t profitable anymore... no matter what direction they take with the story or characters. You have to understand they need to make more money to continue the brand you and so many people love. Don’t you want the brand to thrive and live on for another 35 years? If so please understand why they are taking this direction.

• Like Like x 11
  5. King Diamocon

King Diamocon Well-Known Member

Isn't the purpose of being in the business of toy manufacturing to, you know, make a profit?

• Like Like x 4
  6. Primus Productions

Primus Productions Defender of the bayverse Veteran

News Credits:
    The only Transformers, I have seen was TFP, TFA, G1 and Bayverse. As I said, I don't mind a reboot. But I wished they could at least finish the story. It's literally The Amazing Spider-man all over again. So, I do understand. But to say at best. This is my preference. Another then that. I hope for the best of the rebooted. And to add, you were not disrespectful to me. Its fine. We're all merely fans, Expressing ourselves. So, there is no reason for any drama. Which to say, there isn't any. Just opinions and preferences at best. As past sense of being said. I do understand. Truly in the end, All Hasbro is of need is simply money. And I can come to understand that meaning.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Toys have improved quite a bit as well. The siege line is really well done even though I don’t collect them. Studio series should have been what the movie figures have been since the beginning and they still don’t meddle with 3rd party offerings. It’s tough not to just throw money at everything!

Masterpiece price tags on the other hand are a little out of control.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  8. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    They've only ever used the word "reset" to describe this movie (and "new storytelling universe"). They've been using that word since (at least) December, I think. That's why I've been saying since December that we need to prepare for either direction. "Reset" is pretty vague. It could mean either. They've never explicitly confirmed that this is a hard reboot or a new continuity. Or that it exists in the Bayverse, for that matter.

To me, "reset" seems to imply reboot more than prequel anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

What's left in bayverse to tell, Unicron? An idea so profoundly guaranteed to be disappointing because Unicron would never transform (because doing so would instantly kill all humans and the films wouldn't actually let the Autobots LOSE) and the fact Lorenzo himself made it clear he thought the idea was stupid on account of the scale of Unicron?

Add onto the fact that the production team clearly didnt know what the hell they were doing if they could crap out TLK, a film outright admitted to be separate scripts crammed together and not edited to have ANY coherency. From what we know of the planned TFCU even, it was obvious they were going to avoid going past Unicron with how everything were dumb sounding period pieces like that awful looking WWII concept. The entire plan with the TFCU was not to actually advance the story but to simply use human history as a crutch to shove alien robots into the past with no rhyme or reason.

Unicron was possibly going to be the Thanos of the TFCU so you weren't going to ever get him anytime soon after TLK anyway.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    Glad to know you understand why Hasbro is taking this direction. Some people that are dissapointed there’s going to be no official ending often don’t understand the reasoning behind the cancellation at all and what the brand has been all about for 35 years and have an extremely negative reaction whilst targeting and shooting down fans of other iterations. This is mainly seen on Instagram where a lot of the fans of the movies are.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ScientistMan

ScientistMan Well-Known Member

I don’t want these movies to continue, but Spider-verse, Days of Future Past, and Endgame opened the door for alternate timelines. Earth could stay dormant and another Unicron could show up.

12. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    10 years WERE wasted. Don't blame Hasbro, blame the producers and Michael Bay, as well as Paramount pictures. Hasbro more or less had little to no control over certain things, and they even had to buy rights to produce toys based on the movie based on their property! Now? The ball is Hasbro's court and so far, they're 1 for 1 and that's a good track record considering The Last Knight botched it so badly that they lost $150+ million on that garbage fest.

TLK was supposed to be the end, anyway. It was Bay's last, it was stated by the producers that it was over, and it was Bay that decided to put that mid-credits scene in, undoing the ending of the film/series leaving it open-ended. It was supposed to end with the Autobots returning to Cybertron as they had at the end of the film, Prime's speech was supposed to be slightly different and there was supposed to be a scene with Cogman being the Headmaster we were promised, but Bay hacked it to pieces and changed this, that, and the other thing.

You blame him, you blame the producers, you blame Paramount, but Hasbro had no real control over it for the longest time. Allspark Pictures is their production company, they produced Bumblebee, they took control along with Travis Knight and we're getting a reboot with nods to the original time line, but a new direction. It's assumed that John Cena's Agent Burns is going to lead into a new G. I. Joe movie franchise. There's a Hasbro multiverse in the works and there's no reason to go backward when forward is the future.

Oh, and one more thing... You can complain all you want, but the rest of us have watched loose end get thrown about for decades. We had to watch Optimus and crew get killed out of nowhere as a vehicle to sell new toys. We watched him return only for the series to abruptly end. We watched as Beast Wars started something great and then utterly crap the bed with Beast Machines. We had to import Japan's stuff just to get through until they had a battle plan and that plan wasn't good. They forced shows to become a trilogy and it's no wonder they haven't lined up correctly.

On top of that? The Aligned Continuity AND the mess that is the Bayverse. Heck, the shows and movies in those two universes alone couldn't figure out who or what they wanted to be. The sequels contradicted what came before. The stories didn't line up. Even the movies changed the history of the story unfolding right before our eyes. First, Megatron was looking for the Allspark/the Cube. Then, we find out he was working for The Fallen, all along. But wait, there's more! He was secretly working with Sentinel Prime throughout all of this and still somehow failed on each and every front. How? Then, we find out that he's not dead, he's now Galvatron (FOR ONE FRIGGIN' MOVIE, ONLY). And finally, somehow, he's Megatron, AGAIN, but with Galvatron's voice and somehow they're all pawns of Quintessa who was really the big bad, all along and somehow Unicron is Earth and the Cube was never necessary, nor was Sentinel Prime or The Fallen. Quintessa had the power to heal the planet all along and just needed some human chick to help her find all the MacGuffin pieces to build another MacGuffin to save Planet MacGuffin in MacGuffin: The Movie Extended Director's Cut with a big "F*CK YOU!" to the fans.

And you want a sequel/ending to that? No thanks. It's undoable. The damage is so twisted and messy, you couldn't find a survivor in there, even with the jaws of life. When a little, barely 2 hours, fun family flick can tell the saga's story better than any of the friggin' 2.5-2.75 (THAT'S NEARLY THREE HOURS, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!) "chunks" did.

Better ingredients, better movies, Papa Hasbro.

MAKE. IT. FAIR. BAY.

• Like Like x 16
  13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

Given a major reason Bumblebee didnt do as well as it could have is because people thought it actually WAS just another bayverse film, there's no way Hasbro is ever going to bring up the bay continuity in any way for the next few years except maybe as toys alone.

To do so otherwise would be too risky.

Beautiful.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    If you exclude the AoE and TLK then the first 3 TF films are an OK self contained TF run. I'll just look at them as I do Nolan's Batman films. Hardly wasted time BUT definitely time to move on. And I don't think Knightbro is cramming G1 down our throats but if there isn't some elements of the original Transformers and what made it special then we'll just end up with another Bayverse that confuses everyone and makes me not want to rock my autobot t-shirt in public.

• Like Like x 1
  15. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

They can always finish the bay films in an animted movie. I don't mind them resetting everything after the bumblebee movie, but how many times do we gotta see Optimus and the Autobots vs Decepticons/evil characters all over again. Can they bring new ideas or settings?

16. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But...they aren't "an OK self contained TF run". Not at all. When the producers actually tell (they admitted!) both Knight (the director) and Hodgson (the writer) to more or less do their own thing and not worry about what came before and how they hadn't, that's a BIG, BIG problem. It's not only pissing all over the property, it's disrespectful to the fans and the source material.

Bumblebee already did that. We got Shatter and Dropkick. More will come. Give it a chance, they have to find their new footing before they can find a groove. Once they find both, we should get new locales and new characters. Not to mention, Megatron has to be hard on Welker's voice. The man's in his 70s and I don't see him doing it forever just on health, alone. Throw in age, and well...

• Like Like x 3
  17. Nagatem

Nagatem Sea sea sea sea sea sea sea sea seaconOooo

My only lament about the beyverse dying is now live action unicron will now be set back years after he finally had a name drop in the last knight
    i can only pray for a live action sideways that’s a cool bike like in armada 

18. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That was pretty obvious from the beginning. (I still find the idea of Megatron two-timing the Sentinel Prime and the Fallen kind of amusing. But not the fact that he was apparently every other main baddie's b****) But I also suspect that after the TLK disaster, none of the higher ups wanted to be associated with a possible Bumblebee flop, which might be the real reason why Knight and co had the freedom to do what they did. Even afterwards we've still got the likes of Bonaventura still wanting to add a bit more 'Bayhem' in the next movie (I get the impression that Bumblebee was not quite to his taste).

Hopefully, Hasbro push forward with the new universe, and focus on interesting stories and characters, rather than explosions and caricatures. They also need to make it clear that the Knightverse isn't the Bayverse and build up the new continuity, one (good) movie at a time. And they'd better not regress back to the old way of doing things.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

But they did finish it off. Reminded me of the ending to Ol' Yeller, tbh.

Seriously, life's not fair. Hasbro isn't going to waste millions to satisfy a very tiny percentage of the market. The best you could hope for is maybe a throw-away comic somewhere down the line, but with IDW not doing too hot, I don't think it'll ever happen. Maybe you could get TLK writers to tell you what their ideas were.

• Like Like x 3
  20. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    I’m looking forward to see what comes next, but I find it absolutely amusing that the anti-Bayformer crowd is basically telling Bay fans to “accept this and move on” as if they haven’t been endlessly complaining and (putting it bluntly) bitching for the last 12 years.

• Like Like x 1