Subscription Music Services....Where do I go?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by kronos, Feb 8, 2008.

1. kronos

kronos PSN = METROPLEX_84

News Credits:
    OK, I am in need of some major assistance from NON Itunes customers. i am looking for a music service that allows unlimited downloads and has a good value. I know of Spiral Frog and I may give them a whirl. But I want more music. Here are the only things it must have:

1. Must be able to x-fer to 2 devices (me and the GF have the same phone).
    2. Unlimited downloads.
    3. Great value.
    4. compatable with the whole "playforsure" DRM thing.
    5. a interface that dosent hog the system resources.

I signed up with the service that Wide Open West cable offers, it was ok. But its not the greatest when it comes to reliability. Plus it kills my system resources. The app uses 112mb od system memory alone. And with me only having 256mb, well you get the picture. So what services do you use and recommend?

2. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

What kind of phone do you have that you want to use?

EDIT: Depending on what service you're interested in, I can give you support. :D 

3. kronos

News Credits:
    We both have a Motorola Q9M with Windows Mobile 6.

4. DaggersRage

And now I get to act like a salesman! :p 

If that's the Motorola moto Q9M. Napster To Go (napster.com) can allow to transfer tracks to your device for 14.95 a month. You can put as many as songs as you like onto your device (grant it has the space). Now on Napster there are some songs that you can only get because their buy only. Sorry, there's no control over that, the artist or record labels say they want it that way and we have to comply with.

As a heads up, Napster uses DRM licenses, that means if you stop paying for the subscription, you don't get use those songs once your subscription period is over. Except if you bought the songs for .99 cents.

Also with DRM licenses is that they last a month. You'll basicly have to connect your phone to napster at least once a month to update the license. I honestly suggest also transfering at least one track a month so that why napster actually does stuff with your phone.

As for your system resouce thing. I'm pretty sure the Napster client is good about that, but I have gotten calls before where the customer claims that Napster is hogging their system. Those are annoying and rare cases but most of us at tech support are too subborn to let it slide, unless we see that the problem is truly an operating system issue.

Let me know if you want to check Napster To Go out and I maybe do some things to help out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Napster allows you to use 3 different computers and 3 different devices.

EDIT EDIT: Sorry, I keep forgetting things. As a heads up, Napster offers a 7 day trial but a credit card is REQUIRED for you to sign up for it. Napster will automatically roll over into a subscription if the trial is not canceled (if you do sign up and want to cancel, let me know soonest, I can help :D ) Oh yeah, Napster's support phone # is 1-800-839-4210, I admit it's a hard number to find. The call center is avilable from 9AM EST to 10PM EST. You can call on the weekends which is 9AM EST - 5PM EST, but tech support isnt avilable, but we can still do cancelations.

5. kronos

News Credits:
    My friend yo may have saved the day! I will definatly check it out this evening. Do you get any commission for selling the service?

EDIT: funny, I used napster back in the day to obtain music in the less legal ways too. I think I have come full circle! :p 

EDIT 2: I see they have an offer for a free MP3 Player. I may sign up that way and give my mom the MP3 player! Thanks man, this is just what i was looking for.

6. DaggersRage

Hope that helps, if you have questions, just be sure to PM me, or if you need tech support but I need at least your user name for Napster so I have somthing to document.

No I dont get any commissions.

7. kronos

News Credits:
    wow, easy to use. I like this allot. Thanks for the huge recommendation.

8. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

I have been reading about Qtrax which is supposed to be all free and legal music downloads, but I don't know if they will work on mp3 players/phones.

9. kronos

News Credits:

never head of them. i know spiral frog is all free. you just have to view ads on their site as the songs download. plus you can only do one at a time.

10. DaggersRage

Wait a moment, are you sure you're using Napster? Just kidding, Napster was recently upgraded and I get so many calls about people bitching that it's harder to use & stuff. I didn't think that right clicking was so difficult these days >.<

11. kronos

News Credits:

yeah, so far so good. my mom is even browsing with ease. and as of right now, i have 3+ gigs of music lol.

12. DaggersRage

As a heads up, we usually recommend to have your music downloaded to the same drive to what you have your napster installed to.

We also don't recommend having the music on a portable disk drive. We've had cases before where customer's lost all their music licenses (The DRM stuff) because that portable hard messed things up. We made it so that the customer can recover their licenses but it may take an hour or so of your time, the music there is the longer it would take basically.

13. kronos

News Credits:
    Funny thing happened yesterday! The PC i had been using died on me. So I went and baught a new one yesterday. I installed Napster. Unregistered the old PC and registered the new one. And my whole music library downloaded automatically! Slick! We are very pleased with Napster. I have only found one song that I cant download. No biggie. I now have just over 1800 songs! Nice!

14. DaggersRage

Try this, click on Tools -> Copy Library. Inside the Copy Library screen click on "Show avilable tracks" and see if the song appears there.