Customs: Styrene

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ravenxl7, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hi. I've read in the sticky that styrene can be found in local hobby shops, but I realistically don't have any local hobby shops. I've looked at Pat Catans, Wally World and some other stores, but I can't find any. What stores carry it? And in what section would I be able to find it in? Thanks to anyone that can help. Peace out.

2. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

If you can find any online model shops, they will have it and you can also find it at Amazon.com and E-bay.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Sorry, I forgot to mention one thing. Online shopping isn't an option for me. I wouldn't do it even if I could anyways. I prefer to go out to a store and buy something with my own two hands to garuntee that I will get what I want and in the condition that it should be in. Peace out.

4. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    Hobby town USA is the only store I have found it in. you can go to their website and do a store search for the one closest to you.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Just checked that out. The closest one is an hour away from where I live. I need some styrene for my kitbash, but not that bad. I wish Wally World would carry styrene or something else that can be used for the same thing. Any other ideas out there?

6. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

You don't need to go to a hobby shop.

Just go into Walmart and take your pick of "for sale" signs. They come in different sizes and thicknesses and are great for scratchbuilding.

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hmm. I never thought about that. Just to make sure I understand, are they the ones that you would put in your front lawn or in your cars widsheild if you were sellilng it? I'll have to check those out. I need the plastic to scratch build a matrix that will fit into Cybertron Armorhides chest. Thanks for the tip. If there are any other ideas out there I would still like to year them. Peace out.

Edit: Aren't those things usually metal? Or am I thinking of the old ones?

8. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I saw some at Home Depot... Try looking there.

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ok, thanks. Just so that I don't have to go threw the whole Home Depot, what section was it in, what was the company called that makes it, and what color was the packaging? Thanks for the help. Peace out.

10. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Section- I don't remember... I think it was back with the signs and numbers for mailboxes...
    Company- I have no idea at all
    Packaging- I think it was loose sheets... I could be wrong, though.

I hope that helps...

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks. I'll look for some styrene the next time that I go. I might even ask someone who works there if they would know where I can find some styrene. One last thing. Do you remember how muc it cost per sheet, and about how big each sheet was? Again, thanks for the help. Styrene should be better to work with than already made signs. Peace out.

12. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Do some searches for industrial plastic suppliers in your area, you probably have one locally unless you live in BFE.

I have one close to me that I bought a 4x8 sheet of 1/16" Styrene for around $17.

You would spend a fortune to buy that much at a hobby shop, but... you can get some cool texture stuff at a hobby shop too.

13. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like the "for sale" sign idea.

I get my styrene stock from a local toy store that specializes in model trains.

Depending upon what size/shape you need, plastic model kits can yield some usable pieces.

14. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Hey, are you the board member who a while back was asking what would be a good Matrix size to fit in Armorhide's chest? And people were suggesting the THS ones and whatnot? If so, I realized a while ago that there actually already exists a PERFECT Matrix for your purposes. It's the one from the KT figure collection Optimus Bust. his chest opens up, and the little Matrix inside is the perfect size for Armorhide. I don't know why I didn't think of it at the time.... and when I DID think of it, I couldn't track down the original thread to respond.

One other good thing about it is that the KT figures are relatively cheap.... definitely cheaper than a THS figure. Although if you're opposed to online shopping it might be kind of difficult to acquire one.

Anyhow, I will try to take some pics later this afternoon to show you what I mean about the size. In the meantime, here is a weblink to those figures:

http://www.verycoolthings.com/vct/images/TAK56310.jpg

15. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    I remember it was relatively cheap... I don't remember how big it was, though.

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. If I go with scratch building one, I'd rather use styrene rather than a sign or a kit. Also, I would only need enough to make a small Matrix, so a 4x8 sheet would be way too much, and I don't have 17 bucks for all of that. I was the one asking about any already existing Matrix's that would fit his chest. After looking at that statue, it would be worth getting to make a copy of that Matrix, if it was easy to get a hold of and relatively cheap. Thanks for all the help. Peace out.

17. WhiteMocha

Okay, I had time to take some pictures to illustrate how the KT figure Matrix looks with Armorhide. Personally I think it's just about the perfect size, and looks really nice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry the last pic is a bit blurry. I hope that helps!

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    WoW. That is the perfect size. Do you know where I can get one, and how much it should cost? I might go against my usual standards and buy him online. Seeing your pic of it makes me want to get it. Prime is one of my favorite characters, and that statue is perfect. Peace out.

19. WhiteMocha

Usually those KT figures are still going for pretty cheap. You can do a search for "transformers KT figure" on eBay and find some on there. Usually it's about 10 bucks for a set of six figures, plus shipping (which can be more steep, since they're often coming from overseas).... it should be less if you can just find the Prime one, though. Or you could try doing a "Froogle" search on Google, if you don't feel comfortable with eBay.

Or you might be able to find some kind soul on TFW2005 who would sell you theirs. :) 

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks. I'll try the people on here first. But if that doesn't work, I'll probably try and find an online shop that has it. I really hope I can find one. I'd be willing to spend 10 bucks just for Prime if I could find someone on here that would be willing to sell it to me, but seeing that cash is my only option and that most won't sell something for cash on here, I'll probably have to hunt for one for a good long time before I can get ahold of one. Thanks for all the help. Peace out.